Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre/Post Surgical Plans Are Not Required

It occurred to me several months ago that the psychological evaluation that prospective patients undergo is slightly less important than an intelligence eval, which is not required. While I find it hard to believe those who report having been given no written materials by their practices, it certainly might happen. The first sin of the patient is not to ask for guidelines and other information from the practice. They are the foundations on which we formulate some of the most important questions.

Some of you posting in this topic have been here a short time. Give it a little more time and your eyes will roll, too. If they don't, you will not have been paying attention. More than a few BP users are and were poor candidates for surgery. No one considered their powers of comprehension or looked for evidence of common sense. Just in the past couple of days someone eagerly asked about cutting back on calories; no doubt the individual sat out middle school or junior high health ed classes.

This is not to say that most don't have the capacity, but their thinking needs a total overhaul. In theory we're here in part to point people in the right direction. After a while or from time to time, it becomes oppressive and I need to step back from wasting my time.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

Writing my note just above got me riled. The topic linked here exacerbated things. Its opening post is a perfect illustration, yet another. I shall click "Post" and move on to pleasant things.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/374975-will-it-mess-up-my-surgery/

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

Writing my note just above got me riled. The topic linked here exacerbated things. Its opening post is a perfect illustration, yet another. I shall click "Post" and move on to pleasant things.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/374975-will-it-mess-up-my-surgery/

There's a worse one! chicken, potato and gravy 9 days post-op because surgeon's diet doesn't make sense.

Lots of people out there make fun of fat people to make themselves feel better or superior. I guess the obese have to fall back on our wits. Mocking these people is not supportive. The way things are handled by many on here will only drive people away. If it's really your care for these people remember that.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Lots of people out there make fun of fat people to make themselves feel better or superior. I guess the obese have to fall back on our wits. Mocking these people is not supportive. The way things are handled by many on here will only drive people away. If it's really your care for these people remember that.

We are not mocking them. We are concerned and when we voice those concerns - we are accused of being mean and bullying.

I just don't get why certain people get so angry. Worry about yourself. You aren't here to save all of us.

I read a post earlier where a girl who was told not to drink for the rest of her life by her surgeon asked when other people's doctors allowed for alcohol. So many people going on and on and denigrating people for seeking guidance others have also received from their medical doctors. Her question was not out of line. The responses, not addressing her question at all, were.

So basically, you're saying that if one's answer is clearly NOT the one the OP obviously wants to hear, they should STFU?

Nobody "denigrated" her. The answers were thought out and caring for the most part. They did not give her permission to drink -- the permission she seemed to seek.

If you think that's wrong, you might want to block me now. :D

Want to eat tacos 1 week post surgery?

Want to drink copious amount of alcohol a week or two after surgery or smoke joints a day before surgery?

In fact you can do anything you want to, because tens of thousands bariatric surgeons, nutritionists and nurses must all be wrong!

Just post something you know you shouldn't be doing, related to WLS, and wait until someone with no medical experience tells you it is ok to do so and ignore the other 99% of the posts that tell you that you shouldn't do that.

If everyone else is offering sound medical advice that was expressed from their WLS medical staff or information they obtained from reputable sources like the ASMBS, JAMA, etc., just remember you can prove Darwin was correct and that:

Going-to-do-whatever-I-want.jpg

Rant over. (Microphone dropped).

You know I adore you, right? You just earned my everlasting affection for sure.

Writing my note just above got me riled. The topic linked here exacerbated things. Its opening post is a perfect illustration, yet another. I shall click "Post" and move on to pleasant things. http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/374975-will-it-mess-up-my-surgery/

There's a worse one! chicken, potato and gravy 9 days post-op because surgeon's diet doesn't make sense.

And washing it down with water!

@@sc101071 -- This means you.

Some of you posting in this topic have been here a short time. Give it a little more time and your eyes will roll, too. If they don't, you will not have been paying attention. More than a few BP users are and were poor candidates for surgery. No one considered their powers of comprehension or looked for evidence of common sense.

Your reference to "mocking" is inaccurate. I won't speak for anyone else, but I often try to give a clear, accurate picture of what's what to newcomers, especially those who clearly know nothing despite having had countless opportunities to educate themselves at the feet of their surgeons and other practice professionals. They come here wanting to hear things that will contradict what they'd already been told -- that is, if they heard what they'd been told -- so that they eat as they please. When three or eight of these kiddos come along in the space of one or two days, it's a bit much. I'm not paid enough here to repeat over and over to individuals who get huffy because their great toddler egos don't hear what they want. Oh, be sure I'll try again, but for now, I'm on vacation from them.

Exactly what is wrong with chicken potato and gravy, I should like to know? If I were only days past surgery and had to hold off, I'd put them all over my body.

. Mocking these people is not supportive. The way things are handled by many on here will only drive people away. If it's really your care for these people remember that.

I am scheduled for August 18th... The very first sentence they would say is we are responsible in knowing all the information in the module packet. ... It is very important to follow what the surgeon says because you can make your self sick. i am not going to jump all the hoops I needed to get past to turn around after the surgery and do as I want...

You are fortunate in the practice you chose. It's their responsibility to provide what you need to know and do a good ob in the OR and with follow-up, but we have at least as great a responsibility for being on top of things. Some of the info is more complicated and eating after surgery (when on solid food again, like real people) may take some meditating and cogitating until we get it figured out. That's all fine. What matters is that we continue asking until it all makes sense.

Let it be known that I do and eat some things that my RD used to shake her head at. At the same time, I went in one time with a week or so of food diaries because I wanted her input. She was so impressed with my choices overall that she asked permission to make copies to give to other patients. I was a schoolgirl getting a gold star. Lots of us wiggle within our respective practices "rules" and guidelines, but only after we know what we're doing. What makes it safe, barring particular health concerns, is that practices do differ on many things. Laney, this does not apply to you [now], as you have yet to hit the OR. You'll be great.

I certainly agree about not knowing her health but neither do the complainers and none of them asked.

She knows what her doctor, who knows her health history, told her. Absolutely nothing our doctors said to us matters.

If you ask 50 people on a forum, you'll get 50 answers....then what? Choose the one you wanted to hear?

People need to listen to their surgeons.

And if you (strangely) don't get any written follow-up material from your practice, then:

Read. A. Book.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Edited by gina171

Ya know, I'm only 7 months out. And a coworker brought in kfc right as I was getting ready to leave for the night. Holy buckets it smelled good. So I went home and made myself some garlic shrimp and quinoa. Because the "mean bullies" on these forums who don't just pander to people were in my head. Thanks for keeping me on track meanies!

Lipstick, I've been nothing but respectful and never implied anyone "STFU". Maybe it's that kind of abrasiveness that gets me. And the girl didn't seek permission. She doesn't need your permission. She sought knowledge based on others experiences. Yes, maybe it was early, I wouldn't do it, but at least she asked and then got run out of the room.

WLS- I don't care what you think of me, or the length of time on this board or dealing with all things sleeve, but I do know that ive read everything I can and taken every piece of advice from my doc to heart. You keep talking down to people if it makes you feel all mighty on a message board. At least there are those here with pure intent to help others without belittling.

I just don't get why certain people get so angry. Worry about yourself. You aren't here to save all of us.

Lipstick, I've been nothing but respectful and never implied anyone "STFU". Maybe it's that kind of abrasiveness that gets me. And the girl didn't seek permission. She doesn't need your permission. She sought knowledge based on others experiences. Yes, maybe it was early, I wouldn't do it, but at least she asked and then got run out of the room.

If you say so, I believe you, but that first post up there screams STFU to me. It certainly was, if nothing else, "abrasive". :D

And no, she didn't "get run out of the room". The answers, for the most part, were written with care and concern. She never came back as offended, she simply made up her mind to do what she wanted. It seems that the problems often stem from people who want to get offended on behalf of others, where no offense was originally taken.

That's always an interesting phenomenon to me. ;)

You should ALWAYS choose what you want to hear. It makes life much more interesting and fun.

If I listened to what many people told me, I would spend quite a bit of time fornicating with myself. :)