Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved on 6/30/16. I have lost around 28 lbs. when I went for my 1 month follow up, I mentioned I was frustrated that the loss was only 28 lbs. the doctor said I need to eat more Protein and get in 1500 calories a day. I can't eat that much. Does anybody have any suggestions? And my weight as of now is 320 lbs. any advice???? I am getting my protein range of 70-100 in. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Just my opinion but that seems high on calories for that early out. I am almost 11 months out and still do good to hit 900 calories in a day. 28 pounds in the first month is great. That's about what I had lost in the first month as well. Since your getting your Protein in you may want to check what your doing carb wise and make sure your getting in your Water. For me I stay below 40 carbs a day typically.

Yes, I too would question that calorie count. Honestly most Bariatric teams don't even allow you to focus on calories until you are closer to a year out.

To your point, I don't even know how you eat 1500 calories at your stage. I am nearly out 2 years RNY and my maintenance goal is 1300. If I go above that I gain weight.

The focus should be on Protein, Water and Vitamins. Making sure you get at least 64 oz. of Water and 1gram of Protein for every inch you are tall.

Keep your carbs to veggies and limited whole fruits. Stay away from Pasta, rice, potatoes, bread and sweets.

If you follow that, you will start to lose weight. Now, that being said there are times when we will all stall and a stall means you have not lost anything for several weeks (not days). If a stall goes on for more than a few weeks you might have to increase your daily food intake to tell your body you are not starving it. Usually it 100 protein and cood carbs like veggies. It helps the body see that you are changing things up and usually will start things moving again. I had to do that every couple of months during weight loss.

For me to lose I can eat no more than 1000 calories, I have to be under 90 grams of carbs and 70 grams of protein.

If I go up in intake to 1200 - 1300 I maintain, anything over that I gain.

I learned this by tracking everything in my fitness pal which shows me my weight loss history along with my intake.

I think at your stage probably 800-900 with high Protein low carb is the goal. 28lbs in the first month is great, I started at 358 on day of surgery and I don't think I lost 28lbs in the first month. My weight loss didn't speed up until after 6 weeks when I could eat more calories.

At a year out, I have to eat a minimum of 1500 calories a day or I stall out. My BMR is about 1750 and I burn an additional 500-1000 calories a day above that on activities.

I was sleeved on 6/30/16. I have lost around 28 lbs. when I went for my 1 month follow up, I mentioned I was frustrated that the loss was only 28 lbs. the doctor said I need to eat more Protein and get in 1500 calories a day. I can't eat that much. Does anybody have any suggestions? And my weight as of now is 320 lbs. any advice???? I am getting my Protein range of 70-100 in. Thanks!

Woah, that many calories is a lot, in my opinion. When I did a calorie diet before this surgery, I was only allowed to eat between 1200-1400 calories a day. So that doesn't sound right, especially if you're eating enough protein. This sleeve is designed to only allow you to eat about 500-800 calories a day. Maybe you need to consult with another nutritionist.

28 pounds already? That is fantastic! That's almost a pound a day! People who only do regular diets are lucky to lose 2 pounds a week. So good for you!

Edited by Hiraeth

I disagree with the other posters. With your starting weight, 1500 calories would still allow for a huge calorie deficit. Remember guys, it takes a lot more calories to sustain a 320 pound body than a 220 pound body. Too large a calorie deficit can cause the body to go into starvation mode and have long-lasting ill effects on your metabolism.

In any event, I was a much lower starting weight than you and still pushed hard to get my calories up over 1400, since I am a runner and burn a LOT of calories through exercise. Now that I am in maintenance, I eat about 2200-2400 calories a day, since I am training for a full marathon.

My tricks for getting all the calories in are to eat calorie-dense foods like cheese and nuts. And to eat more meals/snacks per day. When I was aiming for 1400 calories, I ate 5-6 times per day.

Yes, 1500 calories per day does sound high, but without knowing your specific situation it's hard to say what the perfect "number" is for you, that would be left up to you and your surgeon and NUT. Perhaps the doc things 1500 is the right amount -- for you. I know that I can't take in more than about 800-900 per day.

I found that it makes me more frustrated when I try to count every calorie I eat. My NUT doesn't want us to count calories and wants us to focus instead on making good food choices, so that's what I've focused on instead. Less frustrating and I feel so much better after a day or two of eating a whole-foods based diet, as when I've had anything processed.

Just a question, when your surgeon mentioned 1500 calories, did you tell him/her that you thought that number was far too high compared to what you are currently able to consume? If so, what was their advice/response?

Edited by smg

Thanks for your responses. I am lucky if I can get in 800 calories a day as of now. I am happy with my weight loss, I just wasn't sure if it was to have been more or if that was normal since she said for me to up my Protein and calories. I know this is a learning process for me. I will try your suggestions and thanks everyone!