Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First day on food and im not doing so good

I had grits, 3-4tsps, for Breakfast. No problem. Now lunch at 12:30, I had a scrambled egg.It took me a minute to eat it. That was ok til about two hours later when it was time for my Protein Drink. OMG, I dont know what happened. IDK if it was the Protein Drink or my stomach just didnt want anything. It felt like it had gotten stuck in my chest, and trying to belch at the same time. That is not a good feeling. I kept trying to belch, and then it was the uncomfortable feeling in my chest. I knew something was trying to come back up. After that first dumping session, I felt a little better. I still feel like something is still stuck though. Now I just want to stay on fluids for the rest of my life. My stomach still feels full from the egg, I guess. Advice please.

i had the same reaction with eggs, im 3 weeks post op and still cant do scrambled eggs successfully yet. i get a nasty gurgle/upset stomach and it feels like i need to spew it back up! i do a little better with deviled eggs for some reason, its all trial and error! for me it got easier a week into being back to eating some actual food.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Im scared to try anything else

Deviled eggs do sound good. Maybe ill try one. Thanks and good luck to you

O.K. now that you went through this once, you have decided like most of us that you never want to go through this experience again. It is a great learning tool. So what did you learn. If you were really observant, you might have noticed some pre-triggers prior to reaching full scale dumping. These might be hiccups or sneezes. In my case food which was tasting really good, in an instant started to taste really bad. Or you might start to feel the generation of excess mucous. So whenever I hit a pre-trigger, I stop eating immediately because I know that all it takes is one more bite and I will be in full blown dumping syndrome.

Another lesson that you might learn in the future is never eat two hours before bedtime. This is because food goes down differently when you are in a horizontal position (such as laying in a bed) vs. a vertical position (such as standing or sitting). It is impossible to sleep when you experience dumping. The process can take several hours before you will feel well enough to sleep and trying to lay down is miserable.

When I tried egg the first mouthful came back up and I felt so bad I remained on clear fluids the rest of that day. I am nearly ready to try egg again since I can eat much better now than back then, but egg seems to be a challenging food for some.

I tried scrambled egg for the first time yesterday and also got ill, today i just scrambled the whites and it was alot easier on my stomach. One day a food might do ok for me and the next it makes me ill.

You might try egg beaters or just the whites and see how that goes.

Good luck

Sent from my LG-H343 using the BariatricPal App

Ditto. Still can't do eggs very well at 14 months post-op. Put them away for a while and try again in a week or so. Meanwhile, I received advice that once I had vomited, I should stay on liquids for the next 24 to 48 hours to let my stomach calm down. It gets quite irritated with vomiting. Hang in there!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

I have that same feeling like something is stuck and I want to burp but can't. What usually happens is I make myself throw up. I only tried eating a few times and now I'm strictly on Water. I'm 10 weeks out.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App