Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op regrets topics - not popular

Gina, go back & remember what you were experiencing before the surgery. It had to have been bad enuff for u to consider having it done. Like most of us, u had to have been at the point where u didn't know what else to do, having tried so many ways to lose weight & get healthy & none of them working over the long haul.

This wls was the last hope for many of us. Yes we gave up certain things to get healthier. It's all in how u look at things. We forget how bad things used to be...time softens things...like people in abusive relationships that go back to their spouses because "maybe it wasn't that bad". We humans forget what has gotten us to do certain things out of what we deemed necessary at the time. We coat it with the haze of forgetfulness & suddenly it wasn't that bad back then. Be true to yourself & don't knock the past & the decisions you made. You made that decision to help yourself. You made it with all the information available to you at that time.

Ok....so maybe it was the wrong decision for you but you would never have known that unless you lived it. Everyone has said they wished they hadn't done something & if only someone had told them not to do it or had told them the real truth....really? Well geez, if we listen to other people, our world would never advance....how many tries did it get to get the wheel right, or that plane off the ground, or man to the moon,, or medications to figure out what worked for your depression but not for your friends? So many things in life work for some & not for others. Fortunately or unfortunately we all have to experience something for ourselves in order to get the lesson. That's how we learn. How many children listen to their parents who say don't do that or this terrible thing will happen. Or how many adults hear things from others but think, hey, that's their experience? We think we know better, so I don't think someone telling you what you had wished u had heard would have stopped you because at THAT point in time, YOU needed to do something this drastic.

I am sorry your wls made it worse for u, but it has made it better for others. You did what u did out of hope & as I said earlier the past gets foggy when we look back....so quit beating yourself up about what u did & figure out how to go on NOW. Nothing is 100%,...it's up to the person going thru whatever it is they are going thru, to get the help they can & try to make things better for themselves. I have problems, we all do...but you know what??? Having lost 70 lbs I can move more, have more energy, do more, enjoy life more. I have issues with dumping, some foods not agreeing with me. I have issues with not being able to eat a meal as I once did or enjoy it...but that's all transitory to me....because the truth is, the past me made the best decision it could for the me now & no one or no thing would have changed my mind back then because I was at the end of my rope with knee pain, high blood pressure, tiredness, & so many things including shame at going out & doing things I now can do, that I couldn't before because of my weight. It won't work for everyone...just like certain medications will work for one but not another...just like one (wo)mans bottom for an addiction will not be another (wo)mans bottom....so although I feel for you & what u r going thru, You need to stop beating on what happened....there are no guarantees in life with ANYTHING......just do the best you can....like the rest of us.

There HAS to be something the doctor can do to help u so that u don't have to wear a diaper to go out...just keep fighting for the answers. Only when u give up hope, is when u won't find those answers.

I pray you forgive yourself & that these feelings will change & u get better soon. You deserve the best in life, like everyone else in this world & I hope you get there quickly so that your suffering ends.

BRAVO!

I won't bore everyone with repeats of previous posts as people here love a reason to argue and it will start drama.

I reply when I can because I believe it is polite and respectful. If someone takes the time to comment, I was raised to reply and be nice.

I am American, and have been living in the UK for over 30 years now. I understand the high emotions, obesity problems and excess that the massive population there has. I personally didn't have a weight problem until I became disabled with diagnosed illnesses that meant that I was bedbound.

So I have not had a long term weight issue, or food issue etc. I was not desperate nor incapable of losing weight either. The medications piled on lbs on too of needing to sleep 12 hours a day, not moving etc.

I didn't have a myriad of obesity related diseases.

I just got fat from not moving and not being well enough to shop, cook and eat sensibly.

I was advised by consultants to have this surgery. I was told to take my Lyrica and accept my fate. And I did.

My health condition has been dramatically worsened by this surgery. An impact that may take a fecal transplant, and months in a hospital hours away from my home to recover from. If I can fight hard enough for a referral.

My colon appears to have damage (pseudomembranous colitis) because of the C Diff infection. This could lead to a colostomy.

Being thinner is great, being unhealthy is not. I also appear to have developed a stricture but am not allowed in a clinical public setting until this course of antibiotics has finished.

I am not beating myself up. I made a decision. It was mine to make. If the best surgeons here were wrong, why should I get upset with myself for being mistaken?

Because I was so ill, I had to detox from diet drinks, medications, carbohydrates, caffeine, gluten, wheat, dairy etc. That is what can and will help me eventually.

I have nothing to forgive myself for.

Try to see this intellectually, without emotional words like forgiveness, beating myself up, or romanticising the issue.

For some people, this surgery is a life saver. For me, it has been life threatening. I don't have the strength and immunity to fight off this C Diff. It kills thousands of people all over the world.

And right now, I have no medical support to treat it. Just two weeks antibiotics and isolation. And I am moving house.

Thank you for applauding that old post, but you don't have a clue!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@GinaCampbell -- I am totally sympathetic to your situation and I suspect most of those who read about it feel the same. That said, I feel like your focusing on the VSG procedure as the root cause of your malaise and I'm not certain that's the case.

I know from past posts that you had your surgery in a government operated hospital in the UK as did 3 of your friends and all for 4 of you have had similar complications. And, all of these complications could easily have been caused by less than hygienic conditions and/or poor surgical techniques.

Of course, this may not have been the case, but I think if you're going to continue to share your regrets, it's important to tell the whole story. 90% of all VSG patients are quite happy with this surgery...

I read some interesting comments today and I wanted to make something really clear.

Out of all these people around the globe that are on this website, there are going to be some of us that have found post op, that this surgery was the wrong decision.

If you want this website to be honest and truthful, a source of good solid information for people considering surgery and a source of support for people post op, then everyone's experiences should be welcome.

The reason's I think this surgery was wrong for me has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with my post op complications!

And as for comments about people who regret their surgeries and have complications because:

• "houses were dirty"

• "they didn't follow instructions"

• "they haven't seen the great results yet"

• "they are just negative people and negative people are more vocal

So, just let me tell you this, some of us simply made a mistake.

We thought this was a good plan, we took advice, did our research, attended the seminars and weigh ins (in my case, two years attending).

We met our surgeons, we discussed our pre existing conditions, we spoke to our family and friends.

I myself have a counsellor, did CBT counselling for the entire two years pre op and am deemed emotionally and mentally sound. (just as an aside, my NHS CBT counsellor did not agree with this surgery).

I checked with my pain mgt team about the efficacy of my medications post op.

And it was still a mistake!

And so what?

It happens. And people like me should be able to explain these things without others trying to negate our admission of this mistake by offering excuses as to why we are unhappy with our decision.

I could have floated onto a cloud, had magical unicorns lick away my stomach, and woke up in paradise fully healed, sipping a cocktail in the sun and I would still tell you that this was a mistake for ME. And for many of my friends.

It doesn't matter how many years post op I get, I will consider this a mistake.

My house is not dirty, I followed instructions to the letter, I consider my bariatric discharge booklet my life guideline and I never variate.

I keep in touch with anyone and everyone in my medical care stream that might be helpful.

And complications happened. And yes, to many of us in our bariatric system. But again, it was not the complications that disturb us.

We all have different reasons for regretting it.

Most of us feel that we were misinformed, which doesn't help. My neighbour regrets her bypass because of her now permanent diarrhea and no improvement in her diabetes. She tells me that she has to think about food most of the day just to keep herself fed (choosing the right foods so as not to vomit), and she could have simply dieted harder if she had known she would have to think of food all day. She is three years post op and she still struggles with dehydration. Her hair never grew back after the initial drop out.

I myself am only 9 weeks post op and have had complications so I can't know what my future holds.

I miss eating quickly and simply in a way that doesn't have to be well thought out.

I want to be able to eat a full salad, maybe even with dressings, without worrying about which component might not agree with me.

I want to be able to eat any kind of meat I want cooked how I want in the quantity I want.

I want to drink beverages with my meals.

I miss a morning coffee or afternoon tea. I miss ice tea. (I know other people can drink it but I can't now).

I don't want to have to plan my food day meticulously or be different from others around me eating.

I want my medications to work again in the way they did pre op to control my fibromyalgia symptoms.

And I have definitely seen weightloss results. As I was lying there starving to death for seven weeks, I have lost all but 20lbs of my expected and required excess weight to satisfy my healthcare team. ( I am still only getting around 500 cals a day in, but have constant diarrhea so who knows how much stays in).

I now look "normal" except for the grey pallor in my skin and the nappy I now have to wear because of fecal incontinence (my IBS-d was totally controlled before surgery).

I am six dress sizes smaller but can only leave my house if I don't eat anything and wear adult protection in case of Water causing an "accident". Or in case I become faint from lack of food and fall.

So I do actually feel that had I read a forum entry like this, I might have thought twice.

And that's a good thing. If people are scared, that's okay. Let them hear more than just "don't worry, I was fine, you will be too!" Because maybe they won't!

So this is not about complications, it's about people.

One size does not fit all. Some of us should have simply accepted our weight, or worked harder to diet it off. Had I taken in only 300 to 500 calories a day for 9 weeks pre op, I would have lost all this weight anyway.

If you are happy, well done! If you are dead set on going ahead, ignore this. If you are a high BMI person (think 600lb life), God bless you, this may save your life, if you are a food addict, I feel your pain.

You will still have to diet post op! You will still have to exercise.

If you are undecided, then simply take a breath, think about it, really examine your food issues. Could you do more to lose weight? Could you move a bit more and eat a bit less?

Anyway, I am where I am and I plan to make the best of what I have left. And I intend to keep making sure that pre op people have a good think and post op people like me have someone they can talk to.

Thanks to everyone who is supporting me.

Thank you for that, although I have had my surgery, and am happy so far, I totally understand your position and respect it. It's not right for everyone. Hope things get better for you honey, best of luck.

Sent from my VS985 4G using the BariatricPal App

You said,

"Not really sure why it is so important to everyone that I feel differently about my mistake. Why can't I feel as I feel without people spending so much time trying to convince me I will be happy about this later.

I have accepted it and am moving on with life but I should be allowed to be me without people trying to change me."

People need to stop putting so much emotion into this topic.

Emotional words like "sad", "happy", "light at the end of the tunnel", etc are irrelevant to me as I don't "feel" any of those things.

This is about intelligent, factual education.

People need to understand that it is possible to dislike the results of this surgery for reasons they may not have thought of.

I don't have any sympathy for you. For a person who prides herself on being intelligent and factual, you have to be the most ignorant pre-op patient I've ever run into.

If 4 years of intensive research did not uncover the issues u listed as "intolerable", it's no wonder u make emotional and illogical statements like "I will feel this way forever!" You don't have to know what to look for, or as u put it "know what u don't know", because it's all laid out for u by everyone who's come before u!

8 hours on YouTube and WLS forums easily answers any question u could know to ask as well as a million others u would never think of to ask. Newbies get yelled at daily by veterans for eating steak and burgers too soon, complaining about how the steak got stuck in their chest and hurt like hell for hours.

I don't know what rock u were doing ur research from under, but it was not of this world. If u told me u hadn't done any research, then I would have believed u, because ur ignorance is way too extensive for u to have actually done any real research....either that or ur the worst researcher ever.

I also can't fathom what idiot approved u for the surgery: no long-term history of obesity, no record of multiple attempts to lose the weight on ur own, a pre-existing issue of IBS even if currently controlled, and someone who clearly has a very negative outlook on things and is therefore mentally unfit to adapt to such a dramatic change.

Lastly, ur statement about hating this forever is ridiculous and clearly emotionally driven because at 6 years out, ALL, as in EVERY SINGLE ONE of the issues u are complaining about will have gone away (yes, I'm 6 years out). But of course only someone ignorant to that fact would not know that, and only someone stupid would refuse the truth of it when told by those who do know.

You're on of those people who enjoys misery, likes the drama and excitement from it, and especially all the attention and pity other ignorant people provide u in response to it. U won't see me trying to change ur mind.

Edited by wlssuccess

If you researched so long and thoroughly how did none of these potential complications arise in your pre op stage that you claimed happened 4 years ago and up until your surgery? Nausea and diarrhea are two of the most common side effects of this surgery and is not really considered a complication by any means. Having those common side effects in addition to your IBS diagnosis I would have no doubt in my research and mind that I would experience n/v/d for a while post surgery....

Antibiotics are very effective in treating most cases of C. diff, that I'm sorry you have that's no fun but antibiotics tend to clear the infection. I work in a hospital and have seen hundreds of people acquire it over the years and not one has ever had to have a fecal transplant or a colostomy for it like you mentioned earlier, so there is hope for you there! But I do sympathize with you on this one no one is expecting c diff and unfortunately if not treated properly can lead to death. Let's pray your antibiotic regime does the trick!

I know you posted about your gall bladder too going bad. Again, I knew doing my research that it was a strong possibility that I will have to eventually get gall bladder removed; 1/3 WLS patients have to. That's an astonishingly high number. Any time with rapid weight loss and low calories your cholesterol breaks down into your blood and over accumulation develops into gall stones. Very common in WLS patients unfortunately. Being a female and over 40 are two more risk factors so if you have all 3 of those your risk goes up significantly!

I wish you a speedy recovery, your not that far out...keep looking at the big picture once all these (some expected some not so expected) side effects and complications work themselves out!

Edited by john925

When we write things on forums, it isn't just the original poster, or the responders who read it. I betcha there will be many lurkers who will read this thread and it's good that they can see various points of view. My remarks are targeted at those people who are trying to understand this surgery and if it is a good idea for them. It's a freaking scary proposition to have part of your stomach removed!

My personal experience as a sleever can be summarized like this:

• Preop - Terrified and anxious, I had to get short term medication to make it through the last week before surgery. The word "hot mess" comes to mind. It wasn't because I didn't want to be sleeved, it was because I had such a fear of the operation, such a fear of failing AGAIN (I was a failed band patient and there is no feeling of failure like failing after bariatric surgery)
  • First weeks post op were very miserable and I was still fat. Struggle to get in enough Water, exhausted, anti-social, diarrea all that stuff. I never regretted it though because I knew this often happened and I just had to "muscle through it"
  • Introducing solid food was another awful experience. I felt like I had to do it perfectly right since I was so desperate to succeed. I feared damaging my sleeve, I felt sick to my stomach, everything tasted weird, Water tasted like it had metal in it.... and I was still fat.
  • The next few months were surreal. I didn't feel like myself and I can't even articulate why. While I got the hang of eating properly, it was disorienting for food to taste bad, to eat so little, to have food restrictions, eating FELT LIKE A CHORE. Then, I had an "ah ha" moment - this is the window of opportunity to change my relationship with food. Food is not recreation, it's nutrtion - novel concept for me! I often felt I would be happier just not eating, but I realized that is another form of disordered eating, so I took on the approach that food is like medicine - follow my surgeons and NUTs directions and take it on faith it would get better. Still fat, but down alot.
  • By 3-4 months out, people were noticing the weight loss, I was feeling more myself emotionally, I was not as naseaous, I could tolerate a wider variety of food and it started tasting normal. I was in a good workout routine and loving that I could do more. Yes, still fat, but not nearly AS fat. I started thinking that amazing things MIGHT be possible.
  • At around 8-9 months my appetite returned, my weight loss slowed and I was still about 40# from goal. I made a conscious decision to evaluate what was important to me and I got my butt back on track with good steady losses.
  • At 14 months I made my goal of losing 150#. I could wear cute clothes, people didn't recognize me, I could eat pretty much anything (exceptions are rich ice cream gives me cramps and spicy food can irritate my tummy a bit)
  • I am nearly 5 years post op and living a good life as a normal sized, active woman with a loving boyfriend. I am living a day to day life that I could only dream of. Many people dont know I had surgery - I eat small portions of very normal food. My kids are shocked when they see my before pix... but they tell me I changed inside too, not just the weight loss. I wear makeup, I love to dress up, go out, social butterfly all that.
Life is pretty damn good and I am thankful for the help of the sleeve to get me here.
Thank you for this post. I'm two weeks out and still feeling miserable. I'm looking forward to the upswing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using the BariatricPal App

You said,

"Not really sure why it is so important to everyone that I feel differently about my mistake. Why can't I feel as I feel without people spending so much time trying to convince me I will be happy about this later.

I have accepted it and am moving on with life but I should be allowed to be me without people trying to change me."

People need to stop putting so much emotion into this topic.

Emotional words like "sad", "happy", "light at the end of the tunnel", etc are irrelevant to me as I don't "feel" any of those things.

This is about intelligent, factual education.

People need to understand that it is possible to dislike the results of this surgery for reasons they may not have thought of.

I don't have any sympathy for you. For a person who prides herself on being intelligent and factual, you have to be the most ignorant pre-op patient I've ever run into.

If 4 years of intensive research did not uncover the issues u listed as "intolerable", it's no wonder u make emotional and illogical statements like "I will feel this way forever!" You don't have to know what to look for, or as u put it "know what u don't know", because it's all laid out for u by everyone who's come before u!

8 hours on YouTube and WLS forums easily answers any question u could know to ask as well as a million others u would never think of to ask. Newbies get yelled at daily by veterans for eating steak and burgers too soon, complaining about how the steak got stuck in their chest and hurt like hell for hours.

I don't know what rock u were doing ur research from under, but it was not of this world. If u told me u hadn't done any research, then I would have believed u, because ur ignorance is way too extensive for u to have actually done any real research....either that or ur the worst researcher ever.

I also can't fathom what idiot approved u for the surgery: no long-term history of obesity, no record of multiple attempts to lose the weight on ur own, a pre-existing issue of IBS even if currently controlled, and someone who clearly has a very negative outlook on things and is therefore mentally unfit to adapt to such a dramatic change.

Lastly, ur statement about hating this forever is ridiculous and clearly emotionally driven because at 6 years out, ALL, as in EVERY SINGLE ONE of the issues u are complaining about will have gone away (yes, I'm 6 years out). But of course only someone ignorant to that fact would not know that, and only someone stupid would refuse the truth of it when told by those who do know.

You're on of those people who enjoys misery, likes the drama and excitement from it, and especially all the attention and pity other ignorant people provide u in response to it. U won't see me trying to change ur mind.

Not really what part of this post is more laughable, the "text speak" or the inaccuracies!

If you researched so long and thoroughly how did none of these potential complications arise in your pre op stage that you claimed happened 4 years ago and up until your surgery? Nausea and diarrhea are two of the most common side effects of this surgery and is not really considered a complication by any means. Having those common side effects in addition to your IBS diagnosis I would have no doubt in my research and mind that I would experience n/v/d for a while post surgery....

Antibiotics are very effective in treating most cases of C. diff, that I'm sorry you have that's no fun but antibiotics tend to clear the infection. I work in a hospital and have seen hundreds of people acquire it over the years and not one has ever had to have a fecal transplant or a colostomy for it like you mentioned earlier, so there is hope for you there! But I do sympathize with you on this one no one is expecting c diff and unfortunately if not treated properly can lead to death. Let's pray your antibiotic regime does the trick!

I know you posted about your gall bladder too going bad. Again, I knew doing my research that it was a strong possibility that I will have to eventually get gall bladder removed; 1/3 WLS patients have to. That's an astonishingly high number. Any time with rapid weight loss and low calories your cholesterol breaks down into your blood and over accumulation develops into gall stones. Very common in WLS patients unfortunately. Being a female and over 40 are two more risk factors so if you have all 3 of those your risk goes up significantly!

I wish you a speedy recovery, your not that far out...keep looking at the big picture once all these (some expected some not so expected) side effects and complications work themselves out!

As I explained, there was no emphasis in our program, about gallbladder issues. You can't know what you don't know. The majority of my research was done on UK websites, using UK information because I had my surgery here.

There was no mention of losing that much weight, that fast.

They told me that they rarely had complications with the vsg. I asked for statistics, they gave them. What I didn't delve into was the hospital's post surgical complication rate.

I didn't explore the UK statistics for a myriad of post vsg complications. I trusted what I was told.

The statistics disagree with you regarding C diff. I am at the end of my first round of a heavy regimen of metronidazole, symptoms still present. Because I have had untreated and undiagnosed C diff since the beginning of June, I have suspected colitis. I presented several times in July to my surgeon with C diff symptoms but stool was either not tested for C diff or told it was "all in my head".

FMT for C diff infections was actually discussed on this thread. It is a common remedy when several rounds of antibiotics don't work.

It can be life threatening and I am very worried. Although still symptomatic, I am having to fight for a re test and further treatment.

And no, I didn't research the hospital's C diff infection rate. I really wish I had.

I won't say I love how this was worded, but I do agree with several of the points. It still floors me to this day that you did SO much research and found so little of the basic facts. There are lots of people from the UK on this forum and several others that I visit and not one of them didn't know about the Water poop, nauseousness, gall bladder issue, food aversion, etc. I actually messaged many of them because I was downright curious about how backwards your particular practice seems to be.

It's a shame you never visited any of the WLS support forums pre-op. All of the issues you've encountered have been discussed ad nauseam on them daily. I am SURE you would have felt much more prepared.

I won't say I love how this was worded, but I do agree with several of the points. It still floors me to this day that you did SO much research and found so little of the basic facts. There are lots of people from the UK on this forum and several others that I visit and not one of them didn't know about the Water poop, nauseousness, gall bladder issue, food aversion, etc. I actually messaged many of them because I was downright curious about how backwards your particular practice seems to be.

It's a shame you never visited any of the WLS support forums pre-op. All of the issues you've encountered have been discussed ad nauseam on them daily. I am SURE you would have felt much more prepared.

My "water poop" is because I have had C diff since June.

I have constantly highlighted my lack of information via my LOCAL bariatric program.

I am really pleased that you are interested enough and took the time to poll other UK NHS patients regarding my programs lack of in depth information regarding possible post op bariatric issues.

You have to admit, after reading thousands of "sleeved Sunday, in work Monday, I love my sleeve, happy days" posts. Which are discussed "ad nauseum", I might have missed some posts regarding in depth, post op mental, emotional and physical complications.

We all have lives, even me. There are only so many hours a day to research this topic. I asked my team in depth questions. I got the same answers most people here give. "You'll be fine!", "It's a stage!", "follow your program!".

And I have! To the letter.

Instead of trying to prove me wrong, why not investigate how to raise awareness? Do posts on food aversion, malnutrition statistics, mortality rates due to c dif infection post op, in the NHS here in the UK.

Why not compare the difference in bariatric surgical care in different countries?

Why not be helpful instead of trying to imply that it is only myself and all of my bariatric stream patient friends, in the whole of the Universe that has had issues through lack of information?

Raising awareness, not trying to disprove a whistleblower, would be more productive!

Just off to beg the NHS for yet more procedures, tests, antibiotics etc for C diff.

And now that I have reached goal weight in 12 weeks post op, what next? Starvation, malnutrition? Being weak enough for the C diff to finish me off?

Thanks for raising awareness as always!

I am sorry that this surgery wasn't for you. I haven't had my surgery yet, as I am scheduled for 9/14, but I can tell you I cannot wait. I would almost do anything to get rid of this extra weight. I have been struggling for years - going from one diet to another - only to lose the weight and gain it all back plus a little more each time. For once in my life, I can finally see that normal sized person at the end of this journey.

There are a lot of people who are reading your story and wishing that they could be you because they aren't fortunate enough to get approved for the surgery. This doesn't mean that you should be thankful you got the surgery, it just means that people would love to be in your shoes.

I have researched this operation every which way I could...from pre op, to post op, to 2, 3, 4 and 5 years out. I know I am in for major changes, but to me, it is worth it. I am truly sorry you are having regrets and hope you will be one of those people who can eventually eat like they did before the operation.

My "water poop" is because I have had C diff since June.

I have constantly highlighted my lack of information via my LOCAL bariatric program.

I am really pleased that you are interested enough and took the time to poll other UK NHS patients regarding my programs lack of in depth information regarding possible post op bariatric issues.

You have to admit, after reading thousands of "sleeved Sunday, in work Monday, I love my sleeve, happy days" posts. Which are discussed "ad nauseum", I might have missed some posts regarding in depth, post op mental, emotional and physical complications.

We all have lives, even me. There are only so many hours a day to research this topic. I asked my team in depth questions. I got the same answers most people here give. "You'll be fine!", "It's a stage!", "follow your program!".

And I have! To the letter.

Instead of trying to prove me wrong, why not investigate how to raise awareness? Do posts on food aversion, malnutrition statistics, mortality rates due to c dif infection post op, in the NHS here in the UK.

Why not compare the difference in bariatric surgical care in different countries?

Why not be helpful instead of trying to imply that it is only myself and all of my bariatric stream patient friends, in the whole of the Universe that has had issues through lack of information?

Raising awareness, not trying to disprove a whistleblower, would be more productive!

Just off to beg the NHS for yet more procedures, tests, antibiotics etc for C diff.

And now that I have reached goal weight in 12 weeks post op, what next? Starvation, malnutrition? Being weak enough for the C diff to finish me off?

Thanks for raising awareness as always!

Woah Nelly! I wasn't belittling your experience nor was I investigating against you. I was simply curious if your low level of basic information was common in your area or simply a fault of your practice. If it was common, I'd certainly agree that more awareness is necessary but I see no evidence that it is.

Clearly we will have to agree to disagree. I see SO MANY complaints of food aversion, nauseousness, Water poop, gall bladder issues (all of which I had myself except the GB, that was already out), it's boggling that someone else didn't see it, especially with four years of extensive research.

I'm glad to hear you are no longer blaming your poo issues on the sleeve, just as I really couldn't blame my c-diff on my brain tumor. That's a risk of any surgery.

I'll chalk up your little personal jabs at me as a product of your frustration. We've always been civil, you and I, or so I thought.

And yes, as you spread awareness, others will spread positivity. You are clearly in the minority in your struggles/lack of pre-surgical awareness. That doesn't make them unimportant by any means, but it does help to pinpoint where the lack of education is originating.

My sleeve saved the quality of my life and it's a risk that I was willing to take. Some of the complaints you have are huge benefits to others. (I love my food aversion! I love my dumping, too, to be quite honest. It keeps me on track.) So again, every where you spread "awareness", expect others to do the same. It's not meant to offend you, but to show the other side. Fortunately the side where the majority of us stand. It's not an us vs them. It's a total picture.

As always, I wish you well.

Why not investigate how to raise awareness? Do posts on food aversion, malnutrition statistics, mortality rates due to c dif infection post op, in the NHS here in the UK.

Hi Gina,

If you or anyone else is interested, there is some quite detailed information regarding clostridium difficile in NHS Trusts here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/clostridium-difficile-infection-monthly-data-by-nhs-acute-trust

and some statistics (not terribly up to date I'm afraid) of mortality rates in England and Wales can be found here:

http://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsinvolvingclostridiumdifficileenglandandwales/2013-08-22

although it only shows up to 2012 it does highlight that these rates are falling which has to be good news!

Hope that helps somewhat.

Jo x

Thanks all. Because of the bank holiday, my surgeon being on holiday and my GP surgery having no appts, I have no choice but to wait for any further help with the C dif.

I don't know what my post surgery sleeve could have been like.

I don't know what my new normal will be like because I have been so ill since day one.

Is the diarrhea C Dif now or surgery related? Who knows?

I am 13 1/2 weeks out now and I do feel completely abandoned by the bariatric team that insisted that post op support would be there.

I do have the support of the other patients who are suffering too and that helps.

I understand that other people wish they could have the surgery. I wish we could swap places too!

I want my life back. I don't want to be held hostage by a life changing surgery and post op complications. I miss my family! How many people could stay away from their family this long?

I didn't sign up for this much hellish suffering.

I listen to the nurse tell me that this has never happened in over six years, when I know the other patients personally who are also suffering many post op issues. So I know now that lying comes easy to the very people I trusted with my life.

And that is now beginning to anger me.

If I can get treatment for the c dif, and get well from it, I will close the door on the sleeve issue.

I can't risk whistleblowing formally because I rely on the NHS for my healthcare. That angers me too. Just because I can't afford private healthcare, doesn't mean that I shouldn't have sufficiently adequate care.

I do believe that I received substandard care and that basic hygiene standards were not maintained while I was hospitalised due to a change in pay and conditions for the healthcare staff, which led to industrial action. They were distracted and inattentive. I asked one to help me clean a drip stand that I was attached to. I was told "it is not my job". Gloves weren't worn, people relied on the gel to clean their hands etc.

None of this could have been predicted by me. But by raising awareness, perhaps others will know what to look for.

I am distraught that I still have to go for a colonoscopy there.

I see now that I didn't need a vsg to lose weight. Starving my body clearly works to lose weight. Because that is how my sleeve affects me, combined with multiple antibiotic assaults, c dif and abscesses etc.

The weight is off but my body is in crisis. My body is ravaged and failing. My existing medical conditions (fibro, CFS and IBS) are worsened. My mental health is compromised. My family relationships impacted.

I was so sick and so weak that I contracted c dif. Who knows how long this will go on?

So I can't just work through the program, say "wow, what a great idea this was".

It was wrong for me. And I think if people were honest with themselves, some of us could have done more to lose weight. That's a hard truth.

I met all the criteria for their program but I wasn't a good candidate at all.

Why not investigate how to raise awareness? Do posts on food aversion, malnutrition statistics, mortality rates due to c dif infection post op, in the NHS here in the UK.

Hi Gina,

If you or anyone else is interested, there is some quite detailed information regarding clostridium difficile in NHS Trusts here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/clostridium-difficile-infection-monthly-data-by-nhs-acute-trust

and some statistics (not terribly up to date I'm afraid) of mortality rates in England and Wales can be found here:

http://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsinvolvingclostridiumdifficileenglandandwales/2013-08-22

although it only shows up to 2012 it does highlight that these rates are falling which has to be good news!

Hope that helps somewhat.

Jo x

Hi Jo,

Thanks. I couldn't open the documents but I appreciate your efforts to help me raise awareness about this issue.

... I think if people were honest with themselves, some of us could have done more to lose weight. That's a hard truth...

Waaaaait a minute!!!!

So now you are FULLY admitting that your issues were caused by your team's lack of information, nonhygenic practices, staffing issues, inattentive behavior, etc. yet I, along with everyone else who had great success with our WLS procedures really should have just "worked harder"?

You know my weight loss history better than I do? You know my exercise routines, dietary choices made, battles won and lost pre surgery?

You get to judge all of us because your weight fell off through unfortunate circumstances making it "easy" to get to your goal through "starvation"?

I've said it again and again. I'm sorry you've suffered and if I had a magic wand to put you back where you were, I'd all but beat you with it to make it work, but you have no right to say the rest of us should have simply "worked harder" to lose the weight.

I worked da^m hard to get where I am and I've worked harder over the last three years to maintain it. That remark was blatantly offensive, judgemental and unwarranted.

WLS is no walk in the park for most people, complications or no. It's definitely not the " easy way out", even for those of us who have not had your same issues.

Thanks all. Because of the bank holiday, my surgeon being on holiday and my GP surgery having no appts, I have no choice but to wait for any further help with the C dif.

I don't know what my post surgery sleeve could have been like.

I don't know what my new normal will be like because I have been so ill since day one.

Is the diarrhea C Dif now or surgery related? Who knows?

I am 13 1/2 weeks out now and I do feel completely abandoned by the bariatric team that insisted that post op support would be there.

I do have the support of the other patients who are suffering too and that helps.

I understand that other people wish they could have the surgery. I wish we could swap places too!

I want my life back. I don't want to be held hostage by a life changing surgery and post op complications. I miss my family! How many people could stay away from their family this long?

I didn't sign up for this much hellish suffering.

I listen to the nurse tell me that this has never happened in over six years, when I know the other patients personally who are also suffering many post op issues. So I know now that lying comes easy to the very people I trusted with my life.

And that is now beginning to anger me.

If I can get treatment for the c dif, and get well from it, I will close the door on the sleeve issue.

I can't risk whistleblowing formally because I rely on the NHS for my healthcare. That angers me too. Just because I can't afford private healthcare, doesn't mean that I shouldn't have sufficiently adequate care.

I do believe that I received substandard care and that basic hygiene standards were not maintained while I was hospitalised due to a change in pay and conditions for the healthcare staff, which led to industrial action. They were distracted and inattentive. I asked one to help me clean a drip stand that I was attached to. I was told "it is not my job". Gloves weren't worn, people relied on the gel to clean their hands etc.

None of this could have been predicted by me. But by raising awareness, perhaps others will know what to look for.

I am distraught that I still have to go for a colonoscopy there.

I see now that I didn't need a vsg to lose weight. Starving my body clearly works to lose weight. Because that is how my sleeve affects me, combined with multiple antibiotic assaults, c dif and abscesses etc.

The weight is off but my body is in crisis. My body is ravaged and failing. My existing medical conditions (fibro, CFS and IBS) are worsened. My mental health is compromised. My family relationships impacted.

I was so sick and so weak that I contracted c dif. Who knows how long this will go on?

So I can't just work through the program, say "wow, what a great idea this was".

It was wrong for me. And I think if people were honest with themselves, some of us could have done more to lose weight. That's a hard truth.

I met all the criteria for their program but I wasn't a good candidate at all.