Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op regrets topics - not popular

@@Cape Crooner Shark, jumped.

My new favorite quote!!!!

HW: 281.5 on 10.30.15

SW: 245.7 on 6.1.16

CW: 196.6 on 8.29.16

Gina, go back & remember what you were experiencing before the surgery. It had to have been bad enuff for u to consider having it done. Like most of us, u had to have been at the point where u didn't know what else to do, having tried so many ways to lose weight & get healthy & none of them working over the long haul.

This wls was the last hope for many of us. Yes we gave up certain things to get healthier. It's all in how u look at things. We forget how bad things used to be...time softens things...like people in abusive relationships that go back to their spouses because "maybe it wasn't that bad". We humans forget what has gotten us to do certain things out of what we deemed necessary at the time. We coat it with the haze of forgetfulness & suddenly it wasn't that bad back then. Be true to yourself & don't knock the past & the decisions you made. You made that decision to help yourself. You made it with all the information available to you at that time.

Ok....so maybe it was the wrong decision for you but you would never have known that unless you lived it. Everyone has said they wished they hadn't done something & if only someone had told them not to do it or had told them the real truth....really? Well geez, if we listen to other people, our world would never advance....how many tries did it get to get the wheel right, or that plane off the ground, or man to the moon,, or medications to figure out what worked for your depression but not for your friends? So many things in life work for some & not for others. Fortunately or unfortunately we all have to experience something for ourselves in order to get the lesson. That's how we learn. How many children listen to their parents who say don't do that or this terrible thing will happen. Or how many adults hear things from others but think, hey, that's their experience? We think we know better, so I don't think someone telling you what you had wished u had heard would have stopped you because at THAT point in time, YOU needed to do something this drastic.

I am sorry your wls made it worse for u, but it has made it better for others. You did what u did out of hope & as I said earlier the past gets foggy when we look back....so quit beating yourself up about what u did & figure out how to go on NOW. Nothing is 100%,...it's up to the person going thru whatever it is they are going thru, to get the help they can & try to make things better for themselves. I have problems, we all do...but you know what??? Having lost 70 lbs I can move more, have more energy, do more, enjoy life more. I have issues with dumping, some foods not agreeing with me. I have issues with not being able to eat a meal as I once did or enjoy it...but that's all transitory to me....because the truth is, the past me made the best decision it could for the me now & no one or no thing would have changed my mind back then because I was at the end of my rope with knee pain, high blood pressure, tiredness, & so many things including shame at going out & doing things I now can do, that I couldn't before because of my weight. It won't work for everyone...just like certain medications will work for one but not another...just like one (wo)mans bottom for an addiction will not be another (wo)mans bottom....so although I feel for you & what u r going thru, You need to stop beating on what happened....there are no guarantees in life with ANYTHING......just do the best you can....like the rest of us.

There HAS to be something the doctor can do to help u so that u don't have to wear a diaper to go out...just keep fighting for the answers. Only when u give up hope, is when u won't find those answers.

I pray you forgive yourself & that these feelings will change & u get better soon. You deserve the best in life, like everyone else in this world & I hope you get there quickly so that your suffering ends.

BRAVO!
I won't bore everyone with repeats of previous posts as people here love a reason to argue and it will start drama.

I reply when I can because I believe it is polite and respectful. If someone takes the time to comment, I was raised to reply and be nice.

I am American, and have been living in the UK for over 30 years now. I understand the high emotions, obesity problems and excess that the massive population there has. I personally didn't have a weight problem until I became disabled with diagnosed illnesses that meant that I was bedbound.

So I have not had a long term weight issue, or food issue etc. I was not desperate nor incapable of losing weight either. The medications piled on lbs on too of needing to sleep 12 hours a day, not moving etc.

I didn't have a myriad of obesity related diseases.

I just got fat from not moving and not being well enough to shop, cook and eat sensibly.

I was advised by consultants to have this surgery. I was told to take my Lyrica and accept my fate. And I did.

My health condition has been dramatically worsened by this surgery. An impact that may take a fecal transplant, and months in a hospital hours away from my home to recover from. If I can fight hard enough for a referral.

My colon appears to have damage (pseudomembranous colitis) because of the C Diff infection. This could lead to a colostomy.

Being thinner is great, being unhealthy is not. I also appear to have developed a stricture but am not allowed in a clinical public setting until this course of antibiotics has finished.

I am not beating myself up. I made a decision. It was mine to make. If the best surgeons here were wrong, why should I get upset with myself for being mistaken?

Because I was so ill, I had to detox from diet drinks, medications, carbohydrates, caffeine, gluten, wheat, dairy etc. That is what can and will help me eventually.

I have nothing to forgive myself for.

Try to see this intellectually, without emotional words like forgiveness, beating myself up, or romanticising the issue.

For some people, this surgery is a life saver. For me, it has been life threatening. I don't have the strength and immunity to fight off this C Diff. It kills thousands of people all over the world.

And right now, I have no medical support to treat it. Just two weeks antibiotics and isolation. And I am moving house.

Thank you for applauding that old post, but you don't have a clue!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Early on in this thread I did empathise.

However after now reading all the posts which I must say do come from a very narrow minded point of view I've seriously had my eyes opened.

Seriously folks if you are planning bariatric surgery please don't pay heed to this viciously over exaggerated and very negative thread.

I'm now five weeks in and although it can be a struggle at times, it's really life changing worth every once of hard work needed to gain success.

Like this lady pre-op I suffered from many of the same illnesses fibromyalgia, crippling Arthritis, irritable bowel, lumber spondylosis, just to name a few. I took a large cocktail of drugs that the side effects from made me very ill and yes I was one was lyrica too. I was virtually housebound for a year.

Since Xmas I've lost 3 stone. One and a half stone lost since the op Only five weeks ago. I no longer take any medication apart from paracetamols and lansoprazole which protects our stomach while it's healing. I no longer need crutches and am vitally pain free.

I live in the UK and did extensive research on bariatric surgery prior to my op . I know the NHS offer an amazing comprehensive service for those lucky enough to live in a district that can fund bariatric surgery free in the UK.

You get free pre counselling

Good free pre op care

Good post op care including medication and follow up diet all prescribed free.

Free follow up appointments with your bariatric surgeon.

A free post op support group

And free care from a doctor if you need it.

If you live in the right district her in the UK the Gastric Sleeve operation on the NHS will cost you nothing.

I know people here on the UK who would jump at the chance to have this life saving and changing operation but their district has not got the funds to offer it.

I hasten to add I could have gone through the NHS but chose to pay nearly £10000 for my op because I could afford it, I got the op performed within four weeks privately my decision because health was so bad and I was virtually housebound. I don't regret it at all.

I now have use of private telephone support. But I also have access to a regular NHS support group where I meet people who support each other.

I've just read about not knowing about the effects of bariatric surgery. This is impossible !

Everyone has a consultation with your surgeon before making the decision to have the operation .

Everyone has a pre op consultation with a team of nurses.

Before surgery everyone meets with their surgeon and anaesthetic consultant. Everyone has to read and sign a pre-op agreement outlining exactly what could go wrong during and after their operation.

The surgeons have to be so careful. They need to know you understand all the risks.

From all the frequent posts above full of drama you would think the care here on our NHS is non existent. This is not true!

What worries me and many other people is a narrow minded point of view we are reading can scare monger and ruin other people's chances.

I also find it extremely disturbing to read there was no understanding to what the operation entailed or what would be happening after the op.

However someones pointed out a membership on this forum of ten years prior to surgery. A ten years membership here would make an expert of anyone!

I've now read of another side effect from the operation is Clostridium difficile. This can be carried in the body and could be caught after any operation. Unfortunately it had to be another drama and turn into a further more serious complication.

I've just read the support for this condition is also poor with no proper treatment and no doctor support.

The NHS in the UK take this infection very seriously. Granted there is a massive shortage of doctors in the UK it can regularly take weeks to see one . However you can get phone call appointment and readily get nurse appointments. Also emergency appointments instantly if deemed necessary.

I can't believe I've just read that while so critically ill with gastric sleeve problems and CDiff a house move have been planned actioned and is taking place... If things were so bad this would be Impossible! A house moved is deemed as one of the most stressful events we can have in our life. This can also effect our digestion and bowels.

Let's look at... Clostridium difficile:

What is the treatment for Clostridium difficile infection?

The decision to treat C. difficile infection and on the type of treatment depends on the severity of the illness.

No treatment is needed if you have no symptoms but are known to carry the germs (bacteria) in your gut. However, if symptoms develop, some of the treatments below may be needed. If you are not already in hospital, people who have mild infection can often be treated at home.

However, if the infection is more severe, you will usually be admitted to hospital so that you can be treated and closely monitored.

Pseudomembranous colitis signs and symptoms:

Diarrhea that can be watery or even bloody.

Abdominal cramps, pain or tenderness.

Fever.

Pus or mucus in your stool.

Nausea.

Dehydration.

Pseudomembranous colitis self-management:

To cope with the diarrhea and dehydration that can occur with pseudomembranous colitis, try to:

Drink plenty of fluids. Water is best, but fluids with added sodium and potassium (electrolytes) also may be beneficial. Avoid beverages that are high in sugar or contain alcohol or caffeine, such as coffee, tea and colas, which can aggravate your symptoms.

Choose soft, easy-to-digest foods. These include applesauce, bananas and rice. Avoid high-fiber foods, such as Beans, nuts and vegetables. If you feel your symptoms are improving, slowly add high-fiber foods back to your diet.

Eat several small meals, rather than a few large meals. Space the smaller meals throughout the day.

Avoid irritating foods. Stay away from spicy, fatty or fried foods, and any other foods that cause you problems.

If suffering this illness, it seems having the gastric sleeve which limits the intake of all the irritating types of foods that can make the current problem worse is really a very good thing!

That is if following a gastric sleeve diet properly. That means reading all the paperwork and diet advice everyone undertaking this operation is given prior to leaving hospital.

The gastric sleeve operation will help anyone recover faster.

Doctors medication advice. Sensible foods, lots of liquids and don't forget your soluble or liquid vitamins ...

You're going through mourning a loss of your relationship with food and are also going through stages of grief and what every psychologists says you'll have, buyers remorse. Regardless of what you were told or not told. You know going in that your stomach will be the size of an egg and that nothing will ever be the same again. That's is just looking at what the surgery is about and how they staple your stomach, nothing more. Right now your brain is trying to heal your body after such a huge trauma to it. What you have is the buyers remorse that most everyone gets even pre op. Everyone thinks they could do it on their own just because they make it through two weeks dieting. If that were true none of us would be near a Bariatric center looking for help and solutions. You're down on yourself and you're blue. Address the emotional first and I'm sure that life and everything else will taste better. You sound super depressed and should talk to a therapist before it gets worse.

Edited by bellalulu

However after now reading all the posts which I must say do come from a very narrow minded point of view I've seriously had my eyes opened.

Seriously folks if you are planning bariatric surgery please don't pay heed to this viciously over exaggerated and very negative thread.

I'm now five weeks in and although it can be a struggle at times, it's really life changing worth every once of hard work needed to gain success.

Like this lady pre-op I suffered from many of the same illnesses fibromyalgia, crippling Arthritis, irritable bowel, lumber spondylosis, just to name a few. I took a large cocktail of drugs that the side effects from made me very ill and yes I was one was lyrica too. I was virtually housebound for a year.

Since Xmas I've lost 3 stone. One and a half stone lost since the op Only five weeks ago. I no longer take any medication apart from paracetamols and lansoprazole which protects our stomach while it's healing. I no longer need crutches and am vitally pain free.

I live in the UK and did extensive research on bariatric surgery prior to my op . I know the NHS offer an amazing comprehensive service for those lucky enough to live in a district that can fund bariatric surgery free in the UK.

Good free pre op care

If you live in the right district her in the UK the Gastric Sleeve operation on the NHS will cost you nothing.

I know people here on the UK who would jump at the chance to have this life saving and changing operation but their district has not got the funds to offer it.

I hasten to add I could have gone through the NHS but chose to pay nearly £10000 for my op because I could afford it, I got the op performed within four weeks privately my decision because health was so bad and I was virtually housebound. I don't regret it at all.

I now have use of private telephone support. But I also have access to a regular NHS support group where I meet people who support each other.

I've just read about not knowing about the effects of bariatric surgery. This is impossible !

Everyone has a consultation with your surgeon before making the decision to have the operation .

Before surgery everyone meets with their surgeon and anaesthetic consultant. Everyone has to read and sign a pre-op agreement outlining exactly what could go wrong during and after their operation.

The surgeons have to be so careful. They need to know you understand all the risks.

From all the frequent posts above full of drama you would think the care here on our NHS is non existent. This is not true!

What worries me and many other people is a narrow minded point of view we are reading can scare monger and ruin other people's chances.

I also find it extremely disturbing to read there was no understanding to what the operation entailed or what would be happening after the op.

However someones pointed out a membership on this forum of ten years prior to surgery. A ten years membership here would make an expert of anyone!

I've now read of another side effect from the operation is Clostridium difficile. This can be carried in the body and could be caught after any operation. Unfortunately it had to be another drama and turn into a further more serious complication.

I've just read the support for this condition is also poor with no proper treatment and no doctor support.

The NHS in the UK take this infection very seriously. Granted there is a massive shortage of doctors in the UK it can regularly take weeks to see one . However you can get phone call appointment and readily get nurse appointments. Also emergency appointments instantly if deemed necessary.

I can't believe I've just read that while so critically ill with gastric sleeve problems and CDiff a house move have been planned actioned and is taking place... If things were so bad this would be Impossible! A house moved is deemed as one of the most stressful events we can have in our life. This can also effect our digestion and bowels.

The decision to treat C. difficile infection and on the type of treatment depends on the severity of the illness.

No treatment is needed if you have no symptoms but are known to carry the germs (bacteria) in your gut. However, if symptoms develop, some of the treatments below may be needed. If you are not already in hospital, people who have mild infection can often be treated at home.

However, if the infection is more severe, you will usually be admitted to hospital so that you can be treated and closely monitored.

Fever.

Nausea.

Dehydration.

To cope with the diarrhea and dehydration that can occur with pseudomembranous colitis, try to:

Drink plenty of fluids. Water is best, but fluids with added sodium and potassium (electrolytes) also may be beneficial. Avoid beverages that are high in sugar or contain alcohol or caffeine, such as coffee, tea and colas, which can aggravate your symptoms.

Choose soft, easy-to-digest foods. These include applesauce, bananas and rice. Avoid high-fiber foods, such as Beans, nuts and vegetables. If you feel your symptoms are improving, slowly add high-fiber foods back to your diet.

Eat several small meals, rather than a few large meals. Space the smaller meals throughout the day.

Avoid irritating foods. Stay away from spicy, fatty or fried foods, and any other foods that cause you problems.

If suffering this illness, it seems having the gastric sleeve which limits the intake of all the irritating types of foods that can make the current problem worse is really a very good thing!

That is if following a gastric sleeve diet properly. That means reading all the paperwork and diet advice everyone undertaking this operation is given prior to leaving hospital.

Doctors medication advice. Sensible foods, lots of liquids and don't forget your soluble or liquid vitamins ...

Standing ovation for this post.

Excellent points made.

Sophie makes sense to me. Research would have covered all those possible issues.

Sent from my SM-N915V using the BariatricPal App

Good free pre op care

Fever.

Nausea.

Dehydration.

If I wasn't already married, I'd totally ask for your hand...

Lol... Love you too

You're going through mourning a loss of your relationship with food and are also going through stages of grief and what every psychologists says you'll have, buyers remorse. Regardless of what you were told or not told. You know going in that your stomach will be the size of an egg and that nothing will ever be the same again. That's is just looking at what the surgery is about and how they staple your stomach, nothing more. Right now your brain is trying to heal your body after such a huge trauma to it. What you have is the buyers remorse that most everyone gets even pre op. Everyone thinks they could do it on their own just because they make it through two weeks dieting. If that were true none of us would be near a Bariatric center looking for help and solutions. You're down on yourself and you're blue. Address the emotional first and I'm sure that life and everything else will taste better. You sound super depressed and should talk to a therapist before it gets worse.

I have prior to surgery and post surgery, have a counsellor. I am definitely not "down on myself" or "super depressed".

I simply was not in the category of food issues. I was immobile for some time and gained too much weight.

Good free pre op care

Fever.

Nausea.

Dehydration.

I won't waste breath arguing with this lengthy, inaccurate post.

This house move has been very badly timed. It was planned months ago, to take place prior to my surgery by Occupational Therapists assisting my healthcare with our local council.

As a courtesy, I consented to bringing the surgery forward as a new surgeon had been brought in and surgeries criteria changed. As I was not expected to be in the HDU, my list hurtled forward by months.

I was assured that I would be fit and healthy and on my feet in six weeks so the move could transpire.

Obviously, that all went to pot.

The new house could not be held indefinitely so the OT's insisted that I move or lose the house, which was not an option. They have also been keen to remove me from the hot zone of the c dif so they can get me into a "cleaner" environment. They can then address the spore filled wet room that I have lived in during the three months that I had undiagnosed c dif.

I am expected to be hospitalised 60 miles away in an infectious disease unit for intensive treatment by a specialist. We are currently attempting to get the referral in place.

Since you are an NHS "expert", you will know how long these system streams take. I am in email contact with the consultant involved.

I am also now awaiting a triage call tomorrow to decide if the c dif will go untreated in the meantime or if I will go onto my second round of metronidazole. The big confusion is duty of care. GP considers this post op surgical duty of care, bariatric team considers this to be GP duty of care.

As you are an NHS expert, you will understand this.

I repeat, unless you have been treated here, in our local system, you have no idea what my group knew or didn't know. I can prove everything I have said as there are so many of us.

I have detailed information that PALS is dealing with on my behalf and have the full support of my GP regarding treatment (or lack of it) that she considers incredulous.

NONE of my NHS treatment is free!

I worked long and hard over half of my life to pay my National Insurance contributions at both employee and employer rates.

You highlight the postcode lottery that patients face.

You clearly had a good supportive team. I am pleased for you.

Saying that my case is "impossible" is just ridiculous.

Yeah, you're all right. Let's just go back to blaming the sleeve for chronic diarrhea and C-Diff (whatever that is)...

Great! Thanks! NOW we are all in for a huge lesson on clostridium difficile colitis! Bet we get pics as well... Damn. I couldn't stop my mouth there. (Bows head and slowly backs out of the room...)

Not from me!

Not really sure what the obsession with me is here.

Must be a slow thread month elsewhere!

Tries to understand how having a food addiction and having no issues with food can be congruent.... Oh wait they can't....

Gina I'm sorry you are frustrated, sick, sad, angry and all the rest...

But the first step is being honest with yourself. You have said a number of contradictory things about yourself and your journey. You are placing blame because you can't cope with the idea you played a role in your situation.

Your lashing out at others while understandable is not acceptable

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

I am not "frustrated, angry, sad". I am ill and a bit miffed.

If you read anything at all, buried in amongst all the mud slinging against me, you will see that I totally owned my decision.

I made it.

If people are going to get personal, and they have, I will defend myself.

Why anyone that doesn't regret their surgery is even following this amazes me.

They whine and moan about reading it but yet they voluntarily read it.

If you took my statement that "some of us" could have worked harder to lose weight (because I clearly could have starved myself to lose weight, that's what my sleeve is doing), as a personal judgment against you, then it has clearly struck a nerve in your psyche, not mine.

BariatricPal App

And no, no you really didn't. ;) I know who I am and that I made absolutely the best decisions FOR ME. Your possible judgment has absolutely no bearing on my "psyche", I promise you.

That said, by your logic, clearly those who have taken a little deeper look at your story have "struck a nerve" in yours...

:D

Doesn't bother me a bit.

Obsess over me all you like.

This has become a witch hunt. I won't be driven off nor silenced.

My "story" is there to be read.

Move along if you don't like it!

I think you're the only one who needs to stop posting in these threads. I understand your struggle but even the most helpful of information presented to you and your situation you continue to be unreceptive, condescending, and belittling to whomever it may be. I truly wish you the best and I strongly urge you to seek professional mental health counseling to help you through this life changing surgical intervention that you already have made up in your mind you will always regret.

I won't be bullied off the thread I started.

My counsellor simply laughs at "internet forum gladiators". We laugh about it together.

If you don't have regrets, why are you on this particular thread?

Ignore, move along!