Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op regrets topics - not popular

Wow. Gina...I really truly think you need help. Seriously. I know you don't like comments I have made before as I work for, and support our NHS.

BUT...I don't believe for 1 minute that in 2 years of preop planning/ research that you weren't aware of the risks/ side effects of surgery. I paid for my surgery and only had a couple of weeks between my initial consultation and surgery. And I found out all these potential problems within that time. Gallbladder removal is common after ANY type of large weight loss...not just surgery. There are risks with any surgical procedure and I don't believe you were consented for surgery without being informed of them.

You go from being in bed and so debilitated by your surgery to going to pizza Hut for a family meal the next day!

None of your stories are consistent.

You slate the NHS but you were prepared to let them pay for your WLS. I'm interested to know how much you've paid into the system over the years. And yet you're prepared to continue to use them for your current/ future needs! If you don't like it then pay and go private!

I know you don't like people not agreeing with everything you say but tbh people are just getting bored of constantly reading the same things.

Sent from my SM-G935F using the BariatricPal App

You said it yourself, you work for the NHS. That means that you are biased.

Of course I was made aware of SOME possible complications/side effects of any surgery.

You paid for your surgery so you did not attend the same seminars etc so you can't say what we were or not told.

My own GP said that this all was "unforgiveable".

We were not told that we might lose that much weight through ill health, therefore no mentions of gallbladders at all.

You didn't even know that there are medications we can and should take, to protect our gallbladders!

I had surgery on 31st May, was in hospital most of June. My granddaughter delayed her birthday meal to August 2nd so Grandma could go. I was picked up, driven to the venue, and driven home. For two hours! The timeline is clear. And I was actually in the SAW on July 29th having investigations for the bowel issue.

My colonoscopy has been rescheduled twice as the dept feels that I am not well enough to withstand the moviprep without becoming dehydrated.

My house move has been put off for months! The bariatric team got a cancellation (as did my friend with the abscess on her spleen and Fluid on her lungs and a mass where her drain site was!) and I was kind enough to move forward my surgery by four months to help them. I was not expected to be an HDU patient so was moved forward and given to a new surgeon who I only met on surgery day.

I can provide you with all hospital inpatient dates, CT scans, blood appts, GP appts etc via photographs should you feel it necessary.

You clearly haven't read my posts, even on this thread I have said that for us poor people who can't self pay, they don't normally do this bad a job!

It is the bariatric program here, of which you have no knowledge, that I feel should look into their practices.

And so does everyone else!

I clearly hit a nerve! For your information, I paid in for 25 years, and I served in the military, I have paid my dues!! I paid in in the 40% tax band and our family business paid NI as both employers and employees!

And yes, of course I will continue to use my entitlement.

Of course, other depts of the NHS (of whom I have no issue except for cleanliness), are having to clean up this mess. My friends and I must be costing the NHS a fortune in complication cleanup!

You have an agenda because you work for them! And you had to pay what you think I didn't. I paid with my blood, sweat and tears for twenty five years plus my military service (you are welcome).

So pick an issue. You are calling me a liar, insinuating that I haven't "paid in enough", etc.

I wonder why you are so "interested" in my NI contributions???

If you are bored, please stop following me around! Unsubscribe and move on!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@GinaCampbell please post a pic of the pink eyebrows!

lol Will go outside and do it! Apparently they glow out in daylight. I can't see it myself!

post-291632-14708481590681_thumb.jpg

Can you see it (inside photo)

I think it is excellent for preops to see all sides of bariatric surgery - the good, the bad, the ugly.

@@GinaCampbell I would respectfully request that you update us when you hit about 3, 6 and 12 months post op. It is good information for people regardless of the conclusion you draw.

@@GinaCampbell

Ahhh... That makes SO much more sense. When you said EVERYONE you knew who had surgery had complications/regrets, I thought perhaps you lived in some sort of weird vortex of WLS disasters. Now, knowing it was people you met along the way, it's much more clear. :D

I do think it's kind of an unfair statement. Of course the people who have complications will gravitate to each other. I belong to a WLS group that is comprised of the snarkiest, most sarcastic, foul mouthed, humorous people I have ever met and I love them all. NONE of us are unhappy with our surgeries and we all have the above characteristics 100% in common.

Your implication that statistics are high on the complications side is just as weighted as if I were to say NO ONE I know who has had surgery has had problems regrets their decision. Same if I was to say EVERYONE I know who had WLS are sarcastic heathens, just because my peeps are.

Birds of a feather and all that jazz... Make sense? :D

Touchy! You haven't hit a nerve...You're just getting on them! I didn't HAVE to pay for my surgery. I chose not to drain an already overstretched NHS and pay for myself. It will take me 2 years to pay off the loan I took out to pay for it. That was my choice. I've paid into the system for over 30 years but think the money is better used elsewhere. You think people have an interest in you. They don't. Quite the opposite in fact. They just want you to stop whinging and move on!

Edited by madadams

And did I mention I have had raging Water poo for most of my three years out? It's seriously ridiculous at times. When I have to go, I have to go NOW. Probiotics was MY answer somewhat. Someone else on this site who has since left actually had to have a fecal implant. (Yes, as gross as it sounds.)

Most people I know who have lost weight rapidly have had their gall bladders out. I lost my little Joey (that was it's name -- I name all my organs) after a WWs victory and a run in with an Italian sausage. I am no doctor, but I have never heard of a medicine being able to stop that. Meh. Easiest surgery ever. I got three days off work and as an added bonus, I got to skip Turkey Day with the inlaws. WIN!!

:D

Good luck to you. We all have our own individual journeys with our own unique internal organs. We are all do different, it truly isn't fair to judge anyone for their choices. With or without surgery we all strive to be healthy and happy in our challenging journey of life. Life is a bit easier when we support each other without having to agree or disagree with their choices. Wishing a healthy happy life to all!!!

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByBariatricPal1470848154.337654.jpg

Kind of! I was expecting them to be sort of fluorescent.

Touchy! You haven't hit a nerve...You're just getting on them! I didn't HAVE to pay for my surgery. I chose not to drain an already overstretched NHS and pay for myself. It will take me 2 years to pay off the loan I took out to pay for it. That was my choice. I've paid into the system for over 30 years but think the money is better used elsewhere. You think people have an interest in you. They don't. Quite the opposite in fact. They just want you to stop whinging and move on!

It is you, here, on the regrets topic thread.

If you don't have any, why are you here?

The NHS is making itself bankrupt by barrelling forward with bariatric surgeries riddled with complications. It's a statistics game. Call the post op complications something else and hide it out of the bariatric program.

I don't care what anyone thinks of me personally, my objective has been made very clear. But you said that you were "interested" in blah, blah, blah.

"They" who want me to stop "whinging" can unsubscribe, ignore and find a topic that "they" have some experience in.

I am free to express myself here and will keep doing so!

You don't regret your surgery so you have no experience in how some of us feel.

I think that you are just angry that you now have to pay for two years for a surgery that your employer did for me without additional cost.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByBariatricPal1470848154.337654.jpg

Kind of! I was expecting them to be sort of fluorescent.

Apparently, it's shocking when the sun hits it, will take a photo the next time I am outside, whenever that is.

Having to stay close to the loo at the moment!

And did I mention I have had raging Water poo for most of my three years out? It's seriously ridiculous at times. When I have to go, I have to go NOW. Probiotics was MY answer somewhat. Someone else on this site who has since left actually had to have a fecal implant. (Yes, as gross as it sounds.)

Most people I know who have lost weight rapidly have had their gall bladders out. I lost my little Joey (that was it's name -- I name all my organs) after a WWs victory and a run in with an Italian sausage. I am no doctor, but I have never heard of a medicine being able to stop that. Meh. Easiest surgery ever. I got three days off work and as an added bonus, I got to skip Turkey Day with the inlaws. WIN!!

:D

I have heard of the fecal implant! I was hoping that once the IV antibiotics wore off that things would improve. I need to take moviprep (harsh clean out stuff) prior to the colonoscopy so the probiotic doesn't stand a chance just now. I do have some though.

The medication to protect your gallbladder is called Urso and Urdiol. Some surgeons prescribe it after WLS.

I am terrified to let the same team remove my gallbladder. I still have a 3 cm abdominal abscess from 31st May, (was 6.6 cm).

I am even scared to let them do the colonoscopy at this point!

Post op care on the ward is dreadful at the moment too as industrial action has caused some real upset amongst the staff. I heard plenty about their employment problems but could I get a bowl of broth or a yoghurt, not so much. So a bit scared to be admitted yet again.

Waiting for a callback (nurse was on holiday???) about blood etc results from 28th/29th July and to ask about the cyst they found in, on , around (no one knows) my kidney, how big it is etc.

I am hoping to ask for a referral to a gastroenterologist when she eventually phones me.

I am sorry to hear about your bowel issues, did you see anyone about it? Did they put it down to the WLS?

@@GinaCampbell I've read all the posts on here and am impressed with how masterfully and swiftly you managed to dilute the goodwill that has always been extended to you on these boards. Bravo.

People showed up to support you yet again on this thread and one by one you slapped them away, picking on words that were never meant to attack, harm or 'bully' you. Perhaps you should have prefaced in your original note that you were not looking for compassion or support and that might've effectively kept any love coming to you, at bay.

What's been phenomenal to see however, is the continued decency and patience showed by most of the responders on here, even in the face of serious vitriol spat out by the person you were doing your best to support. I thank these people for showing that nastiness can be responded to with grace - that's what I'll taking away from this mess of a thread.

I don't know why everyone is wasting their time with this. Gina obviously just wants to be very clear that this was a mistake. She doesn't want to believe that one day, she could feel different. Therefore, you're all wasting your words. If someone can't even believe that there is a tiny possibility that they don't know how they're going to feel in a few months or a year, there's literally no hope of helping her through this. I think the only thing that will help is to say, Gina, this was absolutely a poor choice for you and we understand you regret it the end.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

@@GinaCampbell I've read all the posts on here and am impressed with how masterfully and swiftly you managed to dilute the goodwill that has always been extended to you on these boards. Bravo.

People showed up to support you yet again on this thread and one by one you slapped them away, picking on words that were never meant to attack, harm or 'bully' you. Perhaps you should have prefaced in your original note that you were not looking for compassion or support and that might've effectively kept any love coming to you, at bay.

What's been phenomenal to see however, is the continued decency and patience showed by most of the responders on here, even in the face of serious vitriol spat out by the person you were doing your best to support. I thank these people for showing that nastiness can be responded to with grace - that's what I'll taking away from this mess of a thread.

Thank you!

I am here to continue to help the people who feel as I do.

For everyone who stops by to be insulting, it highlights my objective.

Education

Please feel free to unsubscribe and ignore if you have no fear of or experience with post op regrets or issues.