Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Has Your Food Budget Changed?

There’s a good chance your eating patterns have changed dramatically since WLS. Is that reflected in your food budget?

On the one hand, a lot of your new habits are probably less expensive than before WLS. For example, you’re probably eating way less food. You may be eating out less, and cooking for yourself more.

On the other hand, some of your habits may be more expensive. People think of eating healthy as expensive. A lot of fruits and vegetables are pricy, especially when you get them out of season. The costs of low-fat and low-carb versions and special diet foods like Protein powders can add up. And instead of getting a huge meal for almost nothing at a fast food restaurant, you may opt for a smaller but healthier order from a more expensive restaurant.

So, overall, would you say you spend more or less on food than you did before surgery? Or have you not even noticed the difference?

less for sure - but the cost of supplements (including protein) offsets at least some of it

Costing me double at the moment! Having to buy pre made Soup for when I can't cook. Trying new and different Protein sources. I waste alot.

The supplements, chewable Vitamins, dispersible paracetamol, Protein drinks etc are expensive.

I have ordered a new Protein to try from a bodybuilding place through Amazon just last week. Expensive.

Buying supplements to replace minerals for the diarrhea also costing.

But once I get well and in a routine, I think it will be much cheaper overall.

So expensive now but cheaper later!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Definitely less overall - no eating out or soda. The whole family is eating better - but supplements and Protein do add up --- happy overall !!!

I have spent a small fortune on Vitamins, Protein Powder and Protein Bars. I think I spend less at the grocery and more at the bariatric clinic. I find it a worthwhile investment.

After thoroughly looking over my finances I found that prior to surgery I was spending anywhere between $10- $25 DAILY on eating out. Weekly that amounted to well over $50. This lifestyle change is definitely much less expensive. The supplements are definitely a little pricey but overall I think that this lifestyle change has definitely saved me a whole bunch of money. I have got in the habit of meal prepping and it has become addicting! It still amazes me that about $20 of groceries (depending on where I go) is enough to prepare all the meals I'll need for 1-2 weeks! Healthy doesn't always equal expensive. If you take the time to shop around you're bound to find some great deals!

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

Less expensive for sure.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

I spend about the same but we're a family of 5 and my kids are growing so they eat more to make up for what I can no longer eat. The only thing special I buy for myself is Protein powder/shakes otherwise we all eat the same healthy meals and Snacks.< /p>

Edited by mskami77

I eat a whole lot less. But, because I am now choosing healthy, organically clean foods, the budget is just about the same has when I was eating large amounts of unhealthy and unclean foods.

Sent from my LGMS631 using the BariatricPal App

Much less.

I live alone and I'm spending wayyyyyyyyy less money than I used to. Also, the food delivery app I used to use like 5x/week sends me emails telling me they miss me as a customer - NSV!

I'm saving so much. I'm not eating out if I do it's way less than before. I think my grocery trips are about half what they used to be

I'm the only one that had surgery, but my husband has started eating healthier along with me. We eat out a lot less, which saves a bunch of money. Then, between my husband, me and my two year old, we only eat about one of our "old style" portions between us. (Unless I make Mac & cheese for the family, my daughter can eat a lumberjack sized portion of that!)

My dinner and lunch bills have gone down astronomically. Breakfast is similar to how it was before. Once I can start eating more fruit and veg, I expect the bills to creep back up.

Overall given the increases in meats and cheeses and nuts in my grocery shopping- my monthly bill has definitely gone up! I have also decided its way too expensive to buy Protein powder in Africa so when I'm done with this pack its off my shopping list. My budget on going out has remained more or less the same - just i always have a doggy bag now! Or my poor partner has finishes my plate! Lol