Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A place for bandsters in their 60's

23_3_36.gif

Hi, BJane,

Don't be nervous... you'll do great.

Sounds like you've been working hard to get everything lined up. Glad you got the gall bladder surgery out of the way! I use CPAP, too... about 3-4 years now. Still fight with the mask sometimes. But I'm pretty used to it by now. This is the place to be for support and encouragement. Feel free to ask any questions you might have. There are lots of us here willing to help. Keep us posted!

4_6_218v.gif

I have really already gotten lots of good advice as I have been browsing around the different threads. I really like this site because I want to know how people my age deals with this.

I worry about the restriction being too tight but I will deal with that if I get approved by insurance. Thanks for the welcome. bjane

Okay, this 63 year old is here to tell you it can be done. It was my last hope and I went into it as a sick, depressed agoraphic old lady with diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, and using a walker to get out of bed in the mornings and taking 11 perscription meds a day and weighing 350 pounds.

Six months later..... I was 10 years younger, was walking a mile a day, was off my blood pressure meds, off anti-depressants, and getting out of the house.

A year later .....I was 20 years young, walking and working out at the gym, completely off diabetic meds and arthritis meds, drivng and taking vacations and doing all my own housework and shopping again.

Now, a year and a half later.....I'm off all meds except a diuretic and protonix. I have a life again and a future as well. I recently had my fat apron removed (a panniculectomy) and that was a wonderful advancement in my mobility and my appearance. Maybe I'll have a little more work done after I get to goal.

It has been my observation over the past couple of years that most of the older wls patients do very well. Most of us are choosing to do this out of desperation.....we are doing it for our health, for our future, not just to be able to fit into a cute pair of jeans. If I never reach my goal, it's okay.....every pound I have lost already (152 pounds so far) have made my life better so that makes it all worthwhile. It has also my the lives of the people who love me much happier....my son doesn't worry about me as much, my husband doesn't have to do all the work around here, my mother gets to live with me and not in the nursing home because I can take care of her now. What more could we ask?

Best wishes to you.....

I am so proud of you. I am 63 and have not been banded yet. I hope to be before the summer is over. You are an inspiration to me.

Hi Again, bjane here.I got my call from my dr's office today telling me that insurance approval is in. I have to go in on Wed for 2 week followup from gallbladder surgery and I will be scheduled. Now----I'm nervous--I hope I'm making the right decisions here. I know it is what I want to do but change comes hard for me. I really feel this is my last chance to do something about my weight. If I could have done it alone, I would have done it years ago. I have great support from my husband and kids and they think I should get on with the program. I will have lots of questions for my dr. on Wed and I hope the answers will help me with my concerns. Wish me luck! Any one with advice or info, please let me know. Thanks.:biggrin:

Bjane, read the post above your last post - the one quoting GayleTX. She can be your role model from here on out. What a story! Gayle makes me ready to go under the laproscope TODAY!! (used to be "under the knife", remember?) Ask your questions tomorrow, get the answers, and focus on your successful future! You are lucky to be so close. I'm still waiting for the call and hoping it comes sooner!

Joann

Hi, this is bjane and I have a surgery date. June 5--I havn't told a lot of people because I don't want to jinx myself. I'm anxious about this but I know that this is my chance to improve my health. I've been practicing drinking lots of liquids and watching what I eat ---most times I do pretty good. This is going to be quite a life change for us in this journey but I have lots of family support. I've read and read and read everything I can find and I hope that I've made a wise decision to do this. I need suggestions and advice. Thanks:whatchutalkingabout

Hi Phyl,

You are such as inspiration to me. I have my first appt. with the surgeon on 5-21, so I'm pretty excited about that, and also a little apprehensive. I have been going for monthly visits to my primary and lost about 20 lbs. then got offtrack and have gained about 10 lbs. back. My question is does the band help much with head hunger; like when you see something, and you're not hungry, but you want it anyway. Does the band help you maintain control of that?

Thanks,

maggie

Hi Phyl,

You are such as inspiration to me. I have my first appt. with the surgeon on 5-21, so I'm pretty excited about that, and also a little apprehensive. I have been going for monthly visits to my primary and lost about 20 lbs. then got offtrack and have gained about 10 lbs. back. My question is does the band help much with head hunger; like when you see something, and you're not hungry, but you want it anyway. Does the band help you maintain control of that?

Thanks,

maggie

Sorry, Maggie... the head hunger

is something you have to overcome.

It does get better,

but it's something you'll have to battle.

As the weight comes off,

I have more strength over temptations

because I don't want to lose my momentum

and sabotage my success. As time goes by, I am less and less tempted by things I used to have a weakness for. Something that helps a lot is to plan your Snacks. Make sure you have things in the house that are healthy to snack on... know ahead of time what you are going to have when the hunger hits... and work at trying to distinguish between real hunger and "head" hunger.

You CAN do this, I promise!!

And, thank you so much for the compliment!

Phyl,

Thanks for the encouragement and for "keeping it real." I am 68 y.o, with BMI 46 and several co-morbidities. I am hoping Medicare will approve my surgery and without too much delay. I believe I am ready for this and can be successful, though I don't expect it to be easy or without difficulties. You just keep on leading the way, girl!!

maggie

Thanks for sending that Gayle. What an uplifting and positive post. I needed to read your remarks since I am being banded on Monday and am limited on what exercise I can do. I am hoping I will have news such as yours to report in my near future. Thanks again.

I am 63 and was banded on 3/25/08. My insurance required a 6 month documented weight loss attempt, and I worked with the dietician on the bariatric team for that. I was bummed initially at having to wait, but then I used the time to educate myself. I read everything I could find, bumped up my exercise by adding walking to Curves, and by the time I hit the pre-op liquid diet my legs were already starting to look slimmer. Only lost 10 lbs on the 6 month diet, another 25 on the pre-op liquids (I caught a cold and my surgery was bumped a week, so I stayed on the liquids for 3 weeks), then 2 more post-op, 2 weeks of mushies, and then solids. I have had 2 episodes of something getting stuck, one small one, and one really big one (PBs and slime, big time). I have days where I would swear my head hunger was real, but I am getting better and recognizing it and distracting myself. Including the pre-op losses, I have lost 80 lbs so far, gone down several clothing sizes, and last week my PCP stopped both my cholesterol meds, one of my BP meds and my reflux med. Around the end of the year she will send me for a sleep study to see if that has resolved. 20 more lbs and I will be at goal. I am stoked! I think bandsters in their 60's do at least as well, if not better than younger bandsters.:)

Dear patch, what a wonderful testimony of how well folks in their 60's respond to this surgery and the routines they are subjected to. I have to admit that I am having a difficult time with the exercise portion of the program thus far. I am now out of the wheelchair but since it is difficult to walk without stumbling, I must still use a walker. I have so much pain in my foot...too many problems to go into detail, but I have been doing some upper body exercise. Your progress is really fantastic Patch. I sometimes wish that I lived in the city where I could walk on even sidewalks at least or get to a gym easily enough. I have to drive some distance just to get to any type of gym or community center. That usually requires someone driving me until I get this boot off of my leg. Someday! We do have our vehicle back from the shop after the car accident, now if folks will stop running into us, we will be ok in that department. LOL! Helps to have more than one vehicle.

By the way Patch, I am originally from Baltimore. I moved here to Texas when my husband retired from the military. I left home at the tender age of 18 and never returned there to live. I haven't been back to visit since 2000. I hope to go back this fall but also hope to go back a few more pounds lighter. Actually I would like to be a lot of pounds lighter but know that is out of the question but since they haven't seen me in so long, it will be ok for them to see me now and then when I lose so much more perhaps by next fall, they will be in for a big surprise. Me too! Any good recipes to share? Thanks again for sharing that encouraging newsletter.

Good to see folks posting.

There is some activity on the 60+ thread, too.

Your life sounds very exciting with all the traveling! Do you have any pointers about getting an adaquate amount of Protein and liking it? If I have any kind of problem, that's what it will be. So far, I've managed to do OK with the shakes, but it's only been a month since I was banded.

<STRONG>mslittle you are doing great...17 lbs since your surgery....that is terrific. Whatever you are doing, it is working so keep up the good work. I am not such a great role model, I keep sliding off track. I do well for a while and then quit exercising, or if that is what you call it. I have so much loose flab that it takes forever for it to catch up when I begin to move. I really need to get serious on some type of exercise program. I just wish I had a partner to work out with, someone to help keep me on track and to keep me from snacking or falling off the wagon. I am still losing but not very much. I need to get back on track. You will soon be passing me by. keep on doing the job you are doing mslittle...keep up the good work...don't get off the track...keep going girl. Jodi</STRONG>

<P></P>