Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel like I am going crazy. Everybody says something different. The doctor says one thing that nurse practitioner says another, the book they sent me home with say something else. I don't know when I have eaten enough. I know when I have eaten too much. How do you know when you are full. My NP says to focus on eating four times a day, eating fruit, veggies, and Beans. I feel like I'm not loosing enough. I had my surgery on the 21st of June. I lost at total of 40 pounds, 20 was during the liquid diet. I just started walking and swimming today.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Don't know what to tell you. My plan is to focus on protien first. I was sleeved 2 days after you. It is hard to tell when you are full unless you get too full. I am eating very slowly and after 4-5 bites I stop for a couple of minutes and then have another one to see what I feel. I was told to stop when I feel satisfied and not full. I sometimes get a burp and I stop then.

That is a good loss - so you seem to be losing enough. However- I have never heard of post-op diet instructions quite like yours. I'm told to measure - don't eat until feel full (you will end up overeating) and to eat Protein first - produce second. I would be very careful confused by your instructions. Hope you get clarification.

@@suzzzzz how is your weight loss. I tried eating slow today taking really small bites using a fork. I don't necessary fill full but I darn sure don't feel stuff. I feel like that was progress. Also, the whole eating and waiting 30 min to drink has been super hard for me. But today it wasn't so bad

@kristenle. I am confused. I think my doctor is trying to convert me to a vegetarian. She told me to start with the Beans first and than the veggies. I'm like what about the meat. Lol. So I have been trying to have a lean meat only once a day. She said she doesn't want me to focus on scales and counting. Eat four times drink my 3-4 bottles of Water and take my Vitamins. I had a whole argument about what "I saw on the Internet". She said leave the Internet alone.

Edited by conquering_dreamz

@kristenle. I am confused. I think my doctor is trying to convert me to a vegetarian. She told me to start with the Beans first and than the veggies. I'm like what about the meat. Lol. So I have been trying to have a lean meat only once a day. She said she doesn't want me to focus on scales and counting. Eat four times drink my 3-4 bottles of Water and take my Vitamins. I had a whole argument about what "I say on the Internet". She said leave the Internet alone.

My plan doesn't recommend counting calories but was clear about getting enough Protein. It's not sustainable to just eat Beans, fruits and vegetables only. You will end up sick of them and feel deprived. This is one time I'd say not to listen to your surgeon. Lol. Change up your Protein.

@@suzzzzz how is your weight loss. I tried eating slow today taking really small bites using a fork. I don't necessary fill full but I darn sure don't feel stuff. I feel like that was progress. Also, the whole eating and waiting 30 min to drink has been super hard for me. But today it wasn't so bad Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have lost 16 since surgery 3 weeks ago and 7 on preop. I am ok with that because I know that ultimately, I have a lot to lose and it will take time. I would like the weight to disappear but in all my years of yo-yo dieting, it never has. My body is going to do its own thing.

I would have a problem without meat too. Going to have some ground beef tomorrow. Only beef I can have now, but thin turkey and ham are allowed.

I would suggest finding a good nutritionist and preferably one that has some experience with bariatric patients. I'm in the middle of looking for one right now myself.

So strange about the beans! My plan is Protein first then veggies then fruit :)

It does sound like your surgeon is vegetarian.

My plan is Protein first also, which in this case would be Beans.

My surgeon is adamant that I get at least 100 grams of Protein, starting the day after surgery. Protein and fluids are critical for healing and weight loss.

Beans do have protein, just not as much as some other sources of protein.

As to "feeling full", I go for "satisfied" instead of full.

I have to say that there is nothing wrong with veggies, fruit, or Beans, and yes, mainstream nutritional advice from the medical and scientific community, which I accept, is that there is no need to restrict any of these - they about as healthy as food gets, and being low in caloric density, measuring them out isn't necessary like it might be for healthy foods like nuts that have high caloric density.

The profile of Vitamins, minerals and beneficial phytochemicals is different for each, so you want to get a wide variety in your veggies, fruit, and Beans, so just keep switching up what you are eating. Summer is prime time for local fresh fruits and veggies so now is the time to take advantage!

Other top notch nutritional choices would be fin-fish, shell-fish, and turkey and chicken, especially the skinless breast meat of the birds.

Also good for some variety are whole grains and lowfat dairy items.

I like the free information here, it's science-based and simple to follow. This is a nutritional website from the Harvard School of Public Health.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/