Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are there signs of slippage?

I am on day 14 post op. I have cheated a few times w/ bites of regular food. I know this is not good and have tried really hard to stay on Soups only. This is my question. Are there signs if you do have a slippage? Or is this something you find out when you meet for the first time with the DR? :omg:

Thanks for your input!

I am wondering the same thing. I am day 6 post op and today I pureed two crakers in with my Soup and feel I am a failure and will sabatage the whole thing. I haven't taken bites, per say just added the two crushed crakers to watery soup. I go to my Dr. next week. Can anyone tell me what the first post op visit entails? Thanks

I have followed my post-op liquid diet completely, and I still fear slippage! I get hiccups and burps and I kinda just wait for something to happen. What does it feel like - to slip? Anyone? I know I am paranoid, but I am curious.

Hello, I was told by my dietician and weight loss manager that a previous patient ate a hamburger within two weeks after surgery and had a slippage. She was in the emergency room fearing she was having a heart attack. So, the dietitian always uses that story to scare new patients from trying to eat big solids right away. It apparently is painful and you will know it for sure! I have cheated too; I feel little restriction and I can eat just about anything that is well chewed. I hope this helps.

Vanessa

Banded 08/08/07

it feels great to know i'm not the only one who is paranoid that my band is slipping... as each days goes on i'm able to eat more,, i'm starting my 4th week after surgery... i was told to remember that chances of slippage are only 1% of patients....

This really helps to hear, I am one week out and I didnt realize I was supposed to only have 1/4 cup of food for the first few days so I was eating a whole Jello cup, a whole yogurt cup and so on. When I realized I was only supposed to have a 1/4 c I freaked. I have been worried every since that I have done some damage.

I did the same thing - ate the whole thing of yogurt and a whole can of Soup during my first week. Then I realized about the 1/4 cup only and I thought the same - did I enlarge my pouch by doing this? But I think if you tolerated the surgery well, your stomach is healing and you can handle what your body asks for. I would not worry too much, like I said before, I think only a few are able to do exactly what the orders say.

I have to admit that I have cheated as well. I made pea Soup the other day and it had little chunks of ham in in. I chewed everything up extremely well before swallowing and had no problems digesting it. I am two weeks post op and I eel like I can eat anything. I know that I still have to stay on liquids another week but I am concerned that if I was able to digest ham at this point, I will be able to eat just about anything. I have to get my head in check to make sure I stick to a balanced diet.

I am on day 14 post op. I have cheated a few times w/ bites of regular food. I know this is not good and have tried really hard to stay on Soups only. This is my question. Are there signs if you do have a slippage? Or is this something you find out when you meet for the first time with the DR? :omg:

Thanks for your input!

Hi,

Inamed/ALLERGAN told me on the telephone that the overwhelming majority of slips were caused by REPEATED, SEVERE vomiting.

Another cause of slips is eating solid food too soon after the operation, before the band has time to settle into a "Groove" that it makes around the stomach. The scar tissue helps the band to stay in place, and eating solid foods too soon may disrupt the healing process and make the band more likely to slip.

One more cause of band slips is to repeatedly ignore the "Full signal" and "Stuff the pouch". That exerts tremendous downward pressure on the Lap-Band, which could cause a slip.

They said that the symptoms of a slip are either a sudden, UNEXPLAINABLE loss of restriction, or a sudden, UNEXPLAINABLE severe obstruction.

The way a slip is diagnosed is through either an X-ray or, more commonly, a fluoroscopic examination to verify.

Although eating food too soon is, in itself, unlikely to cause an immediate slip, having the stomach "Work" (Move around to digest solid food) may create a condition where the band does not heal in place, which, in turn, could cause a future slippage.

I have known several people who ate solid food before they were supposed to, who eventually had a Lap-Band slip on them.

I just wanted to address the question about the first post op visit. I drove over an hour to get there and was in the room w/the doc. about 10 minutes. They did not even weigh me. He asked how I was feeling, what I was eating (did not seem concerned about my admission of a few cheats) and if I was taking a multi Vitamin. He then looked at my incisions and I was on my way.

wanabthin - where in Cincinnati, ohio did you go? I have my first post op visit on the 28th and surely hope I get a little more time with the doc than that. I, too, and driving well over an hour and a half and want their complete attention. You are scaring me! I hope I did not choose the wrong doctor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angela

I am having surgery on Monday, but I've been a total freak about researching everything including the subject of slipage. This is what I understand:

You are allowed to have liquids for the first 30 days and shouldn't be concerned about calories during this time. The important thing is that you are getting nutrition during this time and are even encouraged to included fruit juices, yogurt, Soups, applesauce, etc. The fact that you ground up a few saltines in your Soup, no big. During this time, I've heard that it is totally normal to feel hungry and to feel like you have no resistance. That's because you are eating liquids. Once 30 days has past and your tummy is all healed, you start on soft foods then move to solids. (slowly) The faster you get to solids the faster you will feel more satified and not hungry.

**** Please, if I am incorrect, CORRECT ME! This is only information I have obtained on the web over the past few months from doctors, nurses and LapBand pts. ****

I am also under the impression that your new 'pouch' is very small. And if you fill it up, it will expand. That is slippage. You don't want to over fill it, ever. It will cause problems that you don't want to deal with like the possibility of another surgery to correct the slippage. It makes perfect sense if you think about it. This band isn't completely tight because you have to create a passage for the food to flow through (stoma), so if you over eat, you could cause unwanted problems.

I think it's best to ask your doctor these questions and ask lots of 'why' questions.

I am still in my research phase and will be for many months to come, but I wish you all the luck in the world and I know you will be just fine.

Wish me luck too!

angeleyes- I was banded at Cincy weight loss center, but I had Dr. Osbourn not Mobely. I don't feel that I choose the wrong doctor or the wrong place. They have been more than happy to answer all of my questions and my surgery and recovery could not have been better. In fact three weeks post op my incisions have healed so well I have to look to find them (except for the port scar of coarse but it looks great too) and I have not had any pain since about the 3rd or 4th day post op. My point was that the post op apt was not a big deal. I feel that the care I have received has been great. I hope things go well for you too.

Want2beme - Every doctor is different so there is a good chance no matter how much you research, your instructions will be different. I was only ordered to liquids (anything that would go thru a straw) for 2 weeks and then on to mushies (about 2 weeks) which even included fish and chicken.

I was curious to know how well you did with the lap band since 2004? If this is a personal question, please forgive me. I'm trying to get an idea of general amounts of weight loss. Is there a thread for people with high BMI's and the results that you know of? I have a high BMI and I've seen the thread for the lower BMI folks. Again, if you prefer not to share your results, please forgive my intrusion. Thanks