Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How can I get myself to go to the gym??? I'm too embarrassed.

Hello all,

I've been banded for 1.5 months and my dh and I are lucky enough to be able to utilize a personal trainer at the YMCA. I went to meet with the trainer who planned a "routine" for me (it's really cool..all done over the computer...) but I can't get myself to get there. I am embarrassed of the way I look and the way I know my body will move. I don't really have any workout clothing that fit (they are all too big :mad: ) and I just feel uncomfortable.

I know (in theory) that nobody will be looking at me...but I can't help but think that I will make everyone get ill by watching my fat stomach undulating while I walk on a treadmill.

Help me, please!

Rain

Do not think about it , just do it. Thats what i do , i just go . If people are looking at me they will soon se a much smaller me and think, cool, look what she has done!!!!!. Gook Luck Donna

I used to think that too when i went but soon i was not the new one or the fattest one so it was ok, i was doing aerobics and trust me you did not have time to look at other people you were just worried with keeping up.

When I see heavier people at the gym or in an exercise class, it makes me feel happy for them that are trying to be healthier!

I, too, have issues with the gym specifically though. Too many mirrors and skinny beautiful people. I prefer Jazzercise, where there are no mirrors and all shapes and sizes with different levels of stamina.

I felt that way at first then I realized a few things:

1) Everyone is too busy with their own workouts to really pay attention to other people

2) They are probably proud of you for being there (I am when I see overweight people there)

3) If I value myself I will go in spite of "what others might think". I am doing this for ME and I am proud of myself for being there and working hard.

4) There are LOTS of overweight people at the gym....probably 60% of them are! I fit right in!

5) Being embarrassed is too flimsy of an excuse.

Really....just go. When you start to feel stronger and healthier you will be so motivated to do more that you really won't care about anyone else there. I promise!!

Rainer, I COMPLETELY relate to what you're going through. My best approach was literally to get an MP3 player and CLOSE MY EYES when doing my workout. After a few visits you realize that really, people AREN'T looking at you.

And in any event, I'm certain you will be surprised at how many bigger people you'll be working out with. That's the difference about the Y--it attracts normal people to exercise, not sexy tight bodies paying a lot to see and be seen. If your Y is anything like mine, any time of day you'll see a wide variety of people working out.

You might also want to try a class that is designed for people who are beginning or trying to get back in the swing after a baby or injury or whatever. My Y has a class called "Back In Shape" which is a gentler sort of aerobic class. That's what I started with, and was very happy to find larger women and lots of older women in the class with me. Doing something like that in a group really helped build my self-confidence, I found.

Rain, I felt the same way until I started to work out on a regular basis. First I would go get some new workout gear. I bought mine at Lane Bryant. I would suck it up and do it. You'll feel really good about yourself if you do. Good luck.

Sorry, I am no help whatsoever. I am in the same boat as you, Rainer. I finally went out and bought a treadmill and Bowflex so I can be embarrassed all by myself.

Of course, I don't have room for a Bowflex but I'm thinking it will be darned pretty sitting smack in the middle of my living room! ;)

Rainer---I completely understand. Everyone wants me to do Water therapy. I have had knee replacement and lately hip replacement. Well, first of all, I am afraid of water. Nearly drowned when I was 15. And more important----I do not want, nor do I desire to put this fat but in a swim suit. I even went to observe one day. Every woman there was overweight, some more than I am. But, no way. I have my pride. HOWEVER, when I loose some of this weight, I will reconsider. So, I cannot give you any pointers on going to the gym; just that I understand.

Sorry, I am no help whatsoever. I am in the same boat as you, Rainer. I finally went out and bought a treadmill and Bowflex so I can be embarrassed all by myself.

Of course, I don't have room for a Bowflex but I'm thinking it will be darned pretty sitting smack in the middle of my living room! :)

You're embarrassed at your weight??? Time to take another look in the mirror, dearie!

Rainer, I COMPLETELY relate to what you're going through. My best approach was literally to get an MP3 player and CLOSE MY EYES when doing my workout.

Hey! I do that too!!!

Congrats, Alex, on being re-banded. I hope you're doing well! :)

Good advice!

Be blessed!

Rainer, I COMPLETELY relate to what you're going through. My best approach was literally to get an MP3 player and CLOSE MY EYES when doing my workout. After a few visits you realize that really, people AREN'T looking at you.

And in any event, I'm certain you will be surprised at how many bigger people you'll be working out with. That's the difference about the Y--it attracts normal people to exercise, not sexy tight bodies paying a lot to see and be seen. If your Y is anything like mine, any time of day you'll see a wide variety of people working out.

You might also want to try a class that is designed for people who are beginning or trying to get back in the swing after a baby or injury or whatever. My Y has a class called "Back In Shape" which is a gentler sort of aerobic class. That's what I started with, and was very happy to find larger women and lots of older women in the class with me. Doing something like that in a group really helped build my self-confidence, I found.

The gym isn't a fashion show. Wear something comfortable and GO. Why let other peoples possible thoughts or looks in your direction stop you from reaching your goal even faster? Don't let that stop you.

The more I go the more I get "Great job! You're looking GREAT!" from complete strangers. You'll get the same. Do this for YOU!

Terri, sometimes the head doesn't catch up to us as quickly as we'd like. I still feel selfconscious walking down the street. I still strongly feel that I take up too much room in a crowded elevator (I work on the 40th floor of a building). Logically this is ridiculous, but it's still true and part of the process of recovering from MO. Time in front of the mirror doesn't help -- or at least it doesn't help quickly. Unfortunately, it's a long road, mentally and emotionally.

Rain, If it's possible, try meeting with your trainer once a week for 6 weeks (or longer if you can). You'll probably go to the gym if you're actually working out with a trainer, and once it's not new to you, you'll feel more comfortable -- you'll start to see the same people, know which machines are most out of the line of sight of the mirrors, etc. Do whatever you have to do, but just GO.

I second the mp3 player. I listen to a lot of techno anyway, so I just load it up with good fast workout music and crank it. And like others have said you'll find that most of the people at the gym aren't so judgmental. I've come to realize that the 'thin and fit' people go to the gym to STAY that way, so they are aware of what it takes and they know that plenty of people need to GET that way first, so they are happy for people who are there, I used to get lots of smiles when I was new at my gym. Mostly I blend in now, I'm not one of the thin and fit people, but I'm not one of the just starting out people either.

But you could also get a dvd to start with in your home. When you begin working out it's best not to go all out anyway, so once you kind of 'warm up' you might feel more ready to tackle the gym.