Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You Can Lead the Charge against Fat Shaming

Fat shaming adds insult to injury when you are obese or you have had weight loss surgery. Life is already difficult enough without the extra challenges of fat shaming. You may have health conditions, trouble moving and low energy levels if you are overweight. After weight loss surgery, you need to watch every aspect of your diet and lifestyle.

Anyone who has struggled with weight can have low self-esteem and feel insecure at times. So why must you face “fat shaming,” too? Nobody should be forced to experience fat shaming, but unfortunately, it is a reality. It is a way of making people feel bad about their weight, often through subtle or less subtle passively aggressive words or actions. Here is some information about what it is and how you can fight it

Why It Hurts

Fat shaming hurts emotionally. It involved people judging you negatively for your appearance. Worse, they feel that you have no right to be at peace with who you are. Having others let you know day after day that you should feel inferior can drag you down, and that’s unfair.

Think about an experience so many of us have had, and often on a weekly or even daily basis. When you order in a restaurant or check out at the grocery store, have you ever suspected that the server is thinking, “Why is this lady ordering a salad? She clearly eats way more than that at home.”

Or do you see the skinny person in line behind you at the supermarket look at your cart and think, “She’d be better off skipping the Froot Loops and sticking to lettuce” (never mind that the Cereal is for your kids). The fat shaming may be less subtle. “Excuse me, ma’am, but are you sure you should be buying that Pasta? Should you stock up on celery sticks instead?” What nerve!

Fat shaming can even hurt in practical ways. Take jobs, for example. Have you ever walked into a job interview only to see the interviewer look at you with disdain, so you know you’re not going to get the job because of your weight?

How Bad It’s Gotten (Hint: There’s an App for That)

Fat shaming is pervasive in our society. People don’t even realize it’s there. It’s just accepted that fat people are somewhat subhuman. Even doctors often assume that your obesity is your fault. “Just stop eating,” people say. No matter what they see you do in public – order broiled fish and broccoli at lunch, hit the gym every day, and faithfully chug your 8 glasses of Water – they assume you’re ordering a couple of value meals at the drive-through on the way home, and curling up with a box of doughnuts every night.

Fat shaming is so accepted in our society that there are even apps to promote it. They may show you what someone looks like when they’re a few pounds heavier (oh, the horror!), just to scare you away. The thing is, these shame campaigns don’t work.

In fact, they even lead people to eat more because they feel inadequate. People who experience fat shaming are more likely to gain weight. And, if their doctors are doing it – which happens with shocking frequency – they may not seek or receive the medical care they deserve and need. The Obesity Action Coalition (OAC) is calling for tech giants to remove these apps from the market.

What Leads to Fat Shaming?

Fat shaming comes from the assumption that overweight people are not people. Fat shamers believe overweight people do not deserve respect. They just eat too much because they’re too lazy to eat right and exercise. Fat shaming can also come up out of a sense of insecurity on the part of the fat shamer. It’s a lot easier to point out the flaws of someone who’s overweight than to acknowledge one’s own shortcomings. Fat shaming is hurtful, and it needs to stop now!

Pledge to Join the Fight

You can sign up to join the growing movement against fat shaming. The Weight Loss Surgery Foundation of America (WLSFA) is sponsoring a challenge to fight fat shaming. You can sign up to post videos, pledge to stand up against fat shaming, and join the growing movement. You can get more information and resources from WLSFA

Be the Change

You can also work every day on your own to fight fat shaming. The WLSFA suggests vowing to fight ignorance with education and speaking up for others who are facing fat shaming. You can also vow to treat all people with respect because you know what it is to be treated disrespectfully for no reason.

Fat shaming is deeply rooted in our society, and it hurts. You can fight this unfair practice by pledging with the WLSFA or taking your own steps to embrace your body, stand up for anyone who needs it, and love others, no matter who they are or what they look like.

This is the most socially acceptable form of discrimination! It's hard to make people understand why losing weight isn't as easy as "eat less, move more." If that were the case we'd all be thin and there wouldn't be a multimillion dollar diet industry.

I had no idea these apps even exsisted. I found this review when I looked to see what they were all about. I am astonished that these major companies would participate in this...I guess I was somewhat naïve, not anymore!

"it's a fun app when you and your family are bored and have the camera open for some reason. "I have an idea, let's go FATBOOTH!" try this on a fat person, be prepared"

Good article, thanks Alex. Someone I know is revolted by fat people. I speak up, but not strongly enough, thanks for the reminder.

Yep, I am getting to the point of "fat revulsion." Thanks for the reminder.

Wow after I read this it took me back to childhood which continues to this day from my mom. It’s all me.