Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I only lose about 1 pound a week

Since surgery I've only lost 1 pound a week and I'm 106 days out (a little over 3 months). I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm losing hope and faith and I've been finding it hard to stay with the diet because of my little loss. I've lost about 50 and I'm happy about that is just that a majority of it was the first 2 weeks and very little after that

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Only 1lb a week??? What exactly were your expectations? What will you do when you stall? I average 2lb a week but there are times when I don't lose at all. It's all about acceptance and understanding realities. I would embrace every loss but that's me

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Since surgery I've only lost 1 pound a week and I'm 106 days out (a little over 3 months). I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm losing hope and faith and I've been finding it hard to stay with the diet because of my little loss. I've lost about 50 and I'm happy about that is just that a majority of it was the first 2 weeks and very little after that

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Congrats on your weight loss.

A very old and wise woman (wait! she was me! :) ) told me once, "Make the most of what you have and the least of what you haven't".

Be joyful with your WL journey. It may be more leisurely than what you thought, but the scenic route is the more joyful.

You're going a great job. Believe it.

It took me 5 months to lose 50 pounds.

Just sayin.

3 months equals 12 weeks... 50 pounds in 3 months averages about 4lbs a month... Think I got my math right?

Most healthy weight loss plans suggest between 1-2 lbs a week.

If your starting weight was lower you maybe be loosing slower.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein

Edited by nyteacher125

hey, it's going down not up! so just keep going. and if it is seriously a concern then track your activity and food for a while and see what kind of tweeks you can make to your program. get with your NUT if they are the helpful sort.

See...you at least lost a huge chunk right away. I am on day 28, exactly 4 weeks from surgery, and I have lost exactly 5lbs. That's it. I followed the diet, I've been walking, I'm eating Protein etc...im so f*cking discouraged at this point, it makes me question why I bothered getting the surgery, I feel bad for my fiancé who paid for the surgery, like it was all for nothing.

I'm eating drastically less than I did before surgery and mostly protein...but 5lbs. In 1 month. Not feeling very optimistic anymore.

Edited by amandaaok

It really depends on your starting weight and how much you have to lose!

After my first couple weeks losses, ever since I have consistently lost about 1 lb a week. Sometimes 0, sometimes 2, sometimes even up a pound or two (usually my period LOL), but averaging out to 1lb a week. I'm seven months out and at my goal weight. I could have gotten discouraged that I wasn't losing 5-10lbs a week like some and sabotaged myself because why bother if I can't have drastic results pronto, but I've just stayed the course and puttered along at my own pace, and it's all come off anyway! As long as you're following your plan and not consistently GAINING, my recommendation is to stay the course.

6 minutes ago, teacupnosaucer said:

It really depends on your starting weight and how much you have to lose!

After my first couple weeks losses, ever since I have consistently lost about 1 lb a week. Sometimes 0, sometimes 2, sometimes even up a pound or two (usually my period LOL), but averaging out to 1lb a week. I'm seven months out and at my goal weight. I could have gotten discouraged that I wasn't losing 5-10lbs a week like some and sabotaged myself because why bother if I can't have drastic results pronto, but I've just stayed the course and puttered along at my own pace, and it's all come off anyway! As long as you're following your plan and not consistently GAINING, my recommendation is to stay the course.

Well here's hoping I'm like you and can lose that much in 7 months...maybe now that I can lift weights etc it will start coming off more?? My wedding is in June of next year and I was really hoping that Id have lost at least 70lbs, but at this rate, if I'm only losing 5lbs a month then I won't make that :/

7 minutes ago, amandaaok said:

Well here's hoping I'm like you and can lose that much in 7 months...maybe now that I can lift weights etc it will start coming off more?? My wedding is in June of next year and I was really hoping that Id have lost at least 70lbs, but at this rate, if I'm only losing 5lbs a month then I won't make that :/

I have to say, a slow weight loss to me seems very normal but not getting that first month "bump" seems very strange indeed unless you're starting at say a BMI of 30 or something! Have you talked with your surgical team about it? Or your dietician? If you're tracking, maybe you can post a day of food journalling for other members to look at here in the forums. People often have suggestions when they can see specifics. (For example, some people who are stalled are eating WAY TOO LITTLE, whereas others are eating Snacks they think are appropriate but are in fact way too calorie dense, thus out-eating their restriction since the volume is small but the calories are very high!) Introducing exercise definitely helps, especially if you find something you can do consistently and enjoy. Whatever's going on, I hope you figure it out. I feel like not losing a pretty substantial amount of weight during your honeymoon phase is pretty much unheard of unless there are SERIOUS unaddressed issues, so try not to lose heart just yet. But do seek support and advice from the forums, somebody might have the magic key for you to make it all work.

There is the occasional person for whom weight loss is extra slow. It doesn't mean that you won't lose, it just means it'll take longer. Aim for 700-900 calories a day (unless your plan specifies otherwise). Make sure you aren't consuming grains. (Like cream of wheat).

I on average lose about 4-7 pounds a month and have been since I've gone back on regular foods at 12 weeks post op. I'm now 9.5 months out and have lost 86 pounds total since surgery. Slow and steady is a great way to go according to my NUT, losing is losing.

Also just because the scale isn't moving much, check your measurements. I lost a lot measurement wise early on. I went from a size 20 at surgery to a size 14 by 4-5 months out and have now been sitting at a 12-14 for 4 months.

I think we just have to remember that everybody's journey will be different. Some people will lose quicker than others, some people stay stalled longer than others. Just keep up the good work and when your body is ready it will start losing again.

Sleeved 9/25
Starting Weight 261
Surgery Weight 241
3 Weeks postop 224