Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are you eating at 8wks post op RNY?

I'm just trying to get an idea of what other RNY'ers are eating right about now. My surgeon advanced my diet very rapidly so I'm technically on "regular food, " although I'm really having a hard time with anything solid. I had 1oz of a grilled hamburger last night and about 30min later I'm in excrutiating pain and throwing up foamies. I've tried very thin deli meat and cheese, tuna salad, chicken salad, chili. This happens every. single. time I try to eat anything solid. I chew everything very well and I've learned to not take huge bites anymore. I'm just puzzled. I called the office and they told me to go back to liquids for a while and see if the foamy crap stops. Ov course it does, but I'm at the end of my rope of trying to find something to eat. Hopefully some more 8wk+ people are in the same boat I am.

Hamburger maybe is not yet such a good idea. Minced meat doesn't agree with me either. Try cod in parsley sauce, tinned sardines/tuna/mackerel in Tomato sauce, humus. Keep it plain. Good luck

Edited by catalina_uk

Howdy, although I am not an eight week yet I just completed my five weeks, I will say I did a ton of research before having the surgery. My physician told me, that even though the basic surgery of RNY is the same, there are 100 small variations which causes postop instructions to differ to some degree. And physicians are different. I can tell you from what I have read that eating regular food at eight weeks is too soon. Full healing process takes up to six months. As an example, I will share with you the regimen that my doc has me on. All soft foods, and only about a medicine cup full once a day. 60 gms of liquid Protein and a total of 64 ounces of liquid per day.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm just trying to get an idea of what other RNY'ers are eating right about now. My surgeon advanced my diet very rapidly so I'm technically on "regular food," although I'm really having a hard time with anything solid. I had 1oz of a grilled hamburger last night and about 30min later I'm in excrutiating pain and throwing up foamies. I've tried very thin deli meat and cheese, tuna salad, chicken salad, chili. This happens every. single. time I try to eat anything solid. I chew everything very well and I've learned to not take huge bites anymore. I'm just puzzled. I called the office and they told me to go back to liquids for a while and see if the foamy crap stops. Ov course it does, but I'm at the end of my rope of trying to find something to eat. Hopefully some more 8wk+ people are in the same boat I am.

I've started this same business. I've noticed a couple things.

1) if I drink more than a sip while eating.. this happens.

2) as much as I don't want to say it... I think it happens when I've eaten too much

Both times this week that this happened... I threw up and immediately felt better.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

@@jccanada did your doctor say it was OK to drink anything during a meal? Because it's been pounded into my brain "No drinking 30 minutes before, during and 30 minutes after a meal"...

That might be attributing to your issue?

I'm 3 weeks out and my doctor 'approved' soft foods that I can mash with a plastic fork. So I tried homemade turkey meatloaf... that did not end well. Then a few days later I tried a chicken salad where the chicken was shredded so finely it looked like tuna. That ended even worse (6 hours of the foamies, ending with throwing up).

I've successfully eaten Salmon, cod, tuna, hummus, cottage cheese, and black bean Soup...

I've decided these will be the things I eat for a while longer! LOL

This is a frustrating part of this procedure, but I am keeping in mind that even if it takes 6 months... 6 months is a short period in the grand scheme of things...

In the meantime, I will dream of things like chicken, turkey, and steak :lol:

jccanada, I'm with pammieanne, it was constantly drilled no drinking anything 30 minutes before, or 30 minutes after, or during a meal.

With that said, I am just over 8 weeks out from surgery, and my diet consists of mainly chicken, fish, ground meat (steak doesn't sit well yet), and pork. Fish I can do either fresh Water fish or shellfish. I do greek yogurt still, a Protein shake here and there, non-dairy ice cream (coconut milk or cashew milk), even though it has macaroni, Stouffer's Mac and cheese single serving cups, most cooked veggies. Things I still cannot eat: Steak, Lima Beans, bread (by choice, not because I can't), Rice (again, by choice. I haven't tried either though), fries (fried food...nope!). You catch the drift. I stay away from those foods that I should not eat ever, and indulge in moderate type foods sparingly. Softer foods are ok. I can eat a few fruits now as well.

I hope things improve for you.

Oh they definitely say not to drink, I'm just saying that from time to time I burn my mouth or something spicy, I take a drink. Not to mention my husband and I share a drink at supper, it's such a habit to pick up the drink.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

At that point I ate mainly shakes, refried Beans (Taco Bell pintos and cheese) plain kefir, low sugar yogurt, hard boiled eggs, hummus, cheese, Avocado, and puréed or cream based Soups or broth.

I was still getting the hang of meats, veggies and scrambled eggs. I was able to eat a few crackers at this point, but I try to limit them. Anything harder than the very soft stuff could make me sick or cause pain. It was a time of transition.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by NewAngela

Yeah avocado and cream of wheat the drinking thing is extremely important because it fills your pooch faster. I also do tofu spicy foods can be countered with either Peanut Butter yogurt or cheese. I love Ethiopian food and the injera is a safe bread that cold your mouth as well.