Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very few calories.. Stalled weight loss, and the not full feeling

Hello everyone,

I had surgery May 3rd. I've lost a total of 25 pounds. In the last week I haven't lost any. I meticulously keep track of my food intake, and I have not had more than 500 calories a day since surgery. How can this possibly be?

I am progressing on my food pretty well. The only thing I've had trouble with is eggs. It does scare me that I can't feel myself get full until I get that "pain in your chest" feeling. I'm terrified of getting a leak. My surgeon said that after the 21 day mark it is very difficult to get a leak so that helps my fears a bit.

Any insight on these issues would be ver appreciated! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

From my reading it is quite common in week 3 to lose zero, zip, nada. Its the body's way to try and hold tight to everything because its in panic mode. Its ok it will pass and you'll be back on track losing again. I refuse to weigh myself daily or weekly because I will drive myself insane. Just going to weigh at my monthly check up. I went for my first check up friday, 10 days post op and was down 10. So it's working. I go again on the 24th next month. I expect another 20lbs then. I have alot to lose.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

@@Lisa1996,

Congratulations on your surgery! Now, you’ve lost 25 lbs in 18 days, and you’re worried about a stall?? Your poor body’s just trying to catch up! It’s been through surgery, it thinks it’s starving, and it’s reacting to sudden weight loss. Just keep up with the careful eating, and your body will lose more weight when it’s ready.

In the meantime, you can support yourself by nourishing your body as well as possible. How many calories did your surgeon recommend? I’m guessing it was more than 500 per day. And are you getting your fluids in? That can really help with recovery and also with learning to recognize fullness, hunger, and thirst.

You’re doing great – keep it up!

I had my surgery may 13, so I am still on liquids but I can tell when I get full... They way it was described to me before by nutritionist is that you measure your portion and pay attention, if you feel like you are starting to question if you want the next bite (in my case a spoon) a lot of times that extra bite or spoon may be too much. I have had to leave some of my food behind few times since I can only do about 1/4 cup per meal right now, maybe it will be different when I start real foods.

I think you are doing a great job, at my week follow up I was down 5.9 since surgery it's not that much compared to some other people but it's still going the right way and I was told not to expect much weight loss in the first 2 weeks anyways because of all swelling and healing.

Keep it up, it will come!

@@Lisa1996,

Congratulations on your surgery! Now, you’ve lost 25 lbs in 18 days, and you’re worried about a stall?? Your poor body’s just trying to catch up! It’s been through surgery, it thinks it’s starving, and it’s reacting to sudden weight loss. Just keep up with the careful eating, and your body will lose more weight when it’s ready.

In the meantime, you can support yourself by nourishing your body as well as possible. How many calories did your surgeon recommend? I’m guessing it was more than 500 per day. And are you getting your fluids in? That can really help with recovery and also with learning to recognize fullness, hunger, and thirst.

You’re doing great – keep it up!

Thanks! My surgeon hasn't given me any specific caloric guideline. I am following the diet guidelines, and trying to get my fluids in (I have been less successful at fluids, but it's getting better day by day). I think you nailed it when your wrote my body is trying to heal. I think I have been more frustrated at the pace of my healing. Certainly I was obese, but I was so active before surgery. Now the thought of going to the gym tires me. I probably need to give my self a little slack????

Yes, you need to cut yourself some slack.

Almost everyone experiences a stall about three weeks after surgery.

Just focus on getting in all of your Protein and fluids.

Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

Thank you Inner Surfer Girl! That was a great post! Another little frustration of mine is not knowing exactly how much Protein I'm supposed to be getting. The diet I am on has me eliminate Protein drinks 14 days after surgery. Now I'm allowed 1/2 a scrambled egg or tuna for Protein. I don't feel like I'm getting nearly enough in. I'm not supposed to, but I ate a little bit of very finely puréed chicken today. It's like my body is screaming for nutrition, but my brain says I'm not hungry. Getting Water has been a challenge as it turns my stomach. Thankfully I found low carb Gatorade goes down okay. I think I might hit my Water goal today

I would call and ask your NUT how much Protein you should be getting if that information isn't in your post-op food plan.

My Protein target is 100 grams. My surgeon has that target for all men and anyone with a starting BMI over 50. For everyone else it is 80 grams a day.

Not to worry, I was in the same boat and was frustrated. Was told to just relax and I did, now 10 months later I'm down 135 lbs. just stick with what you're doing. It's a process, a very, very worthwhile process not an event :)

Not to worry, I was in the same boat and was frustrated. Was told to just relax and I did, now 10 months later I'm down 135 lbs. just stick with what you're doing. It's a process, a very, very worthwhile process not an event :)

Very sound advice! I just had my first follow up appointment. I'm healing fine, and my weight loss is right on track. I was thinking about this today- I think my mentality was I did this extreme thing to take back my health and I was feeling, for lack of a better word, entitled to quick results. Ha! The more I let it sink in that it is a change of lifestyle the more I feel like I will be so happy that I earned the weight loss instead of loosing it all in a month or two : )

Believe me Lisa you will be overjoyed! I no longer have hypertension or sleep apnea ( 15 years with a CPAP machine gone!!) have gone from shopping online only 4xl or 5xl to now where a simple XL is bordering on too large. No longer need an airline seatbelt extender, no longer need an aisle seat in a theater just ran a 5k and am registered for a half marathon in Oct and planning a surf trip for summer 2017. Doing more at 64!!

Profkf- THAT IS AWESOME! Thanks for sharing your experience!

Edited by Lisa1996

I am going through the exact same thing... Had surgery 5/10, lost 20lbs from pre op day of 5/2 until about 5/21 and then started slowing, almost to a stop and I was CONVINCED that the surgery didn't work. Like my dr didn't really change anything, just made incisions, let me lay there for a few hours then sewed me back up and told my family I was done! So...

#1 I stopped weighing myself every day. I'll weigh once a week and that's about it bc I don't think it's mentally healthy to start obsessing over that number on the scale this early in the game.

#2 As everyone's said, it's completely normal to stall week 3-4. And it makes sense. Not only are we healing but most of us go from 2,000+ calories/day to maybe 500-600. So it's a very drastic change that our bodies are trying to deal with and wonder if it's the new norm. Not to mention it's hard to fuel our heavier bodies with such a drastic cut in calories...

#3 I'm trying to focus on the small NSVs I've had, for instance the disappearance of my second chin lol

We just have to stay positive and trust the process because clearly, it DOES work! Message me if you ever need some encouragement!!

My surgery was on May 10th, and I'm also in a stall. But, I already lost 22 pounds! I keep telling myself that my body is just adjusting to such a rapid weight loss. I'm so excited about the new, healthier direction my life is taking, so it's hard to be patient. But, thinking beyond the scale, I already feel so much better physically. Cutting out all the junk food and sugar and sodas has already made a difference!

So, let's both make an effort to be patient though our stall and focus on the good changes we've already experienced.