Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 Days Post Op...and I feel like I'm constantly eating (full liquid stage). Any insight, advice, similar feelings?

Hi all! I had my sleeve surgery on 5/4 and I was really sick the first 2 days in the hospital, until they switched me from Dilauid to Morphine. I was having a hard time keeping anything down for the first couple of days in hospital (I was there 2.5 days) and the first few days home. I was so focused on the pain (I had never had any surgery before, so I was not prepared for the pain) that eating wasn't a concern. As I've started to feel better, I feel like my appetite has sort of come back. Obviously I can't overeat, because I will def feel sick/full, but I just feel like I am eating non-stop. Granted, it is SO much less than I would've eating previously (pre-sleeve) and I'm only allowed full liquids.< /p>

Basically I'm eating every 2 hours or so, I feel like. I'm keeping a food journal. Pretty much, I'm just eating 1/4-1/2 cup of egg beaters (add a tbsp of shredded cheese sometimes), or 1/4-1/2 cup of mushy Rice Krispies with Skim Milk, or 1/4- 1/2 cup of Cream of chicken Soup with unflavored Protein mixed in. I've been trying to get my protein in, so I'll try to do a 12 oz. Muscle Milk LIGHT Protein shake, with about half it Skim Milk. I find it hard to get in all my liquids- I've been drinking Light Apple juice and Water. Anyway, I know there are some other options (my nutritionist gave us a sample menu Full Liquids and it's only averaging about 400 cal...I know I'm taking in more than that). I'm also on a whacked out schedule (I wake up late morning sometimes, go to bed at 4 am sometimes...I'm not working at the moment, so my schedule is basically whatever I want).

I realize I may be dealing with some head hunger/boredom. I tended to eat when bored before, and right now I am not working, so I have a lot of free time. I know I need to redirect my energy, and I try to. I see my Dr. for my 2 week checkup this week on 5/19, and if I get cleared I can start using the treadmill at the gym and get out a lil more.

I also made the mistake of weighing myself 1 week post-op and I had only lost 3 lbs. I was reminded that I could still be retaining fluids from the 2.5 days on IV fluids at the hospital, and that my insides are still very swollen and my whole body is freaking out. I just feel like I self-sabotaged by weighing myself, and I also feel like I'm pigging out and won't lose any weight. I was 223 lbs going in to surgery, so I know I may lose weight slower than some people. I think I am just afraid of failing at this, which I think is a normal feeling (I hope). I lost 13 lbs on my Pre-Op liquid diet, and I feel like I'm already going to fail post-op.

I know a lot of people say that they have no appetite, but has anyone encountered what I'm feeling? How did you deal with "hunger", or with being OK that you may actually be hungry- I realize full liquids aren't exactly filling. How long did it take for the IV Fluid retention to go away for you? I know everyone is different, but any insight is welcome/appreciated.

I'm only 1.5 weeks Post Op, so everything is still new/scary...not to mention I'm still in pain.

Thanks so much if you read this, or give advice. I'm not usually one to reach out to strangers, but no one I know is going through this.

-Erin :)

Hi Erin, you sound like you have taken the words right out of my mouth. I had my op 6th may, I can't tell if I'm hungry or just craving to actually eat food as its all liquid. I've also been weighing myself and feeling the highs and lows. I felt like I'm going to fail at this as I felt like I've been eating none stop. I'm a bit lost on what exactly I should be eating, and how much, so I've been trying to see how much before I cramp.

My friend had a band put in some years ago and she told me to just follow the plan, it's a time to heal now, she said it took her 6 weeks for the swelling and discomfort to ease for her. Even thought it's a different surgery I think it's about the same intrusion.

Keep posting how you are tho, we seem to be having a very similar mind set here :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Here's a good article about emotional eating. My NUT told me to eat every 3 hours but very small/measured portions. It takes 20 min for your brain to know your stomach is full - so don't eat until you feel full of you'll end up over eating. Liquids go through the stomach faster - so you can drink more than you could eat. Get your Protein and Water (non caloric drinks) in and you'll do great. Be sure to ask your NUT what and how much you should be eating at this stage (every plan is different). Good luck to both of you!

Erin, I know we are all different. My op was May 5th.the first few days i struggled to get liquids in. As I felt better, I drank more. You mentioned you eat Soup, rice Krispies, etc, I have only five liquid, until this week where I added Greek yogurt. Muscle milk and Isopure were/are my Protein sources. By day five, my primary doctor appointment, I had dropped 19 lbs but I was heavier than you going in (274) and didn't lose much preop. Here's my thing. I had this done for my HEALTH-get rid of diabetes. The weight loss is an added benefit and a nice one at that. I won't get on a scale unless I'm at a doctor or follow up. I am shrinking; I can tell in my clothes but I refuse to let the scales rule me. In fact, before I had this surgery I had begun thinking that way and lecture my friends who have weight problems about it. Put the scale away. It can be sabotaging. Make how you FEEL your goal. If you're a foodie, as I am, it's daunting at first and emotional to realize I will never eat the way I used to (used to turn to food and in all emotional states) and food is for nutrition only. I will still enjoy meal time, but not abuse it, I hope. So far, so good. I feel great and I sleep so well now whereas before I could NEVER sleep thru the night.

I also think you'll do better once you're back working. Or doing something after there's no pain. Walk a lot. It's so good to do. I feel I still don't walk enough even. I returned to work on May 9th, four days post-op, but my job isn't too physically demanding. I am a restaurant general manager and I made sure to have enough crew on just in case I couldn't do it.

Good luck to you girl! Try to remember that this is for your health and to live longer. Also, I'm sure you are reading less than before so the weight loss will start showing once you are moving more. A good way to tell the difference between number and head hunger is to all yourself if you're hungry enough to eat an apple. Or a boiled chicken. Lol good luck girl! Hang in there!

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

@@erinkath If you are on full liquids - you shouldn't be eating eggs or Cereal at this stage. I would stay away from Cereal all together (very high in carbs) and especially rice krispies (which expand in your stomach) - this is not the time to be eating cereal. When you eat carbs - your body then craves carbs and you'll feel hungry. Full liquids you should be drinking Protein shakes (watch the sugar content), creamed Soups (no chunks), broth, sugar free popsicles, non-caloric drinks (watch sugar content with juices).

It really is important to follow the plan - you could end up with significant complications!

Stay strong!

Hi all! I had my sleeve surgery on 5/4 and I was really sick the first 2 days in the hospital, until they switched me from Dilauid to Morphine. I was having a hard time keeping anything down for the first couple of days in hospital (I was there 2.5 days) and the first few days home. I was so focused on the pain (I had never had any surgery before, so I was not prepared for the pain) that eating wasn't a concern. As I've started to feel better, I feel like my appetite has sort of come back. Obviously I can't overeat, because I will def feel sick/full, but I just feel like I am eating non-stop. Granted, it is SO much less than I would've eating previously (pre-sleeve) and I'm only allowed full liquids.

Basically I'm eating every 2 hours or so, I feel like. I'm keeping a food journal. Pretty much, I'm just eating 1/4-1/2 cup of egg beaters (add a tbsp of shredded cheese sometimes), or 1/4-1/2 cup of mushy Rice Krispies with Skim Milk, or 1/4- 1/2 cup of Cream of chicken Soup with unflavored Protein mixed in. I've been trying to get my Protein in, so I'll try to do a 12 oz. Muscle Milk LIGHT Protein shake, with about half it Skim Milk. I find it hard to get in all my liquids- I've been drinking Light Apple juice and Water. Anyway, I know there are some other options (my nutritionist gave us a sample menu Full Liquids and it's only averaging about 400 cal...I know I'm taking in more than that). I'm also on a whacked out schedule (I wake up late morning sometimes, go to bed at 4 am sometimes...I'm not working at the moment, so my schedule is basically whatever I want).

I realize I may be dealing with some head hunger/boredom. I tended to eat when bored before, and right now I am not working, so I have a lot of free time. I know I need to redirect my energy, and I try to. I see my Dr. for my 2 week checkup this week on 5/19, and if I get cleared I can start using the treadmill at the gym and get out a lil more.

I also made the mistake of weighing myself 1 week post-op and I had only lost 3 lbs. I was reminded that I could still be retaining fluids from the 2.5 days on IV fluids at the hospital, and that my insides are still very swollen and my whole body is freaking out. I just feel like I self-sabotaged by weighing myself, and I also feel like I'm pigging out and won't lose any weight. I was 223 lbs going in to surgery, so I know I may lose weight slower than some people. I think I am just afraid of failing at this, which I think is a normal feeling (I hope). I lost 13 lbs on my Pre-Op liquid diet, and I feel like I'm already going to fail post-op.

I know a lot of people say that they have no appetite, but has anyone encountered what I'm feeling? How did you deal with "hunger", or with being OK that you may actually be hungry- I realize full liquids aren't exactly filling. How long did it take for the IV Fluid retention to go away for you? I know everyone is different, but any insight is welcome/appreciated.

I'm only 1.5 weeks Post Op, so everything is still new/scary...not to mention I'm still in pain.

Thanks so much if you read this, or give advice. I'm not usually one to reach out to strangers, but no one I know is going through this.

It sounds like you are doing ok (except maybe for the rice crispies.)

Are you taking a PPI? Sometimes stomach acid seems like hunger.

Early out, especially when I was still on liquids, I ate pretty much round the clock in order to get in all of my protein and fluids. That is your priority.

As you start to eat more solid, satisfying foods and can get more protein in per meal you won't need to eat as often.

Hi, thanks SO much for all of the input!!!

I wouldn't have thought that egg beaters (the substitute- not real eggs) or rice krispies were OK for this stage, but my nutritionist was the one that suggested it, and it was in the handouts they gave us for Post-Op diet stages. Rice Krispies has low sugars (4 g) so they said it was OK. The egg beaters have a good amount of Protein, so I guess that's why (plus they're soft- though I would've thought that we should wait til the soft food stage). I like the suggestion of Greek Yogurt. I have some that is low sugar (I couldn't find any sugar free), so I will try adding that to my diet. I'm going to try to lessen the amount of rice krispies, and egg beaters, though, because I really do need to be focusing on getting my Protein drinks in. It's definitely a trial and error, learning experience. I'm bringing my food journal with me to my first post-op dr's appointment in 3 days, so I can discuss my issues with the dr, as well (they ask you to bring it).

I'm taking Protonix (I've been on it for a year or so..I have bad reflux), but I think honestly, it's a lot of head hunger, combined with boredom, and just trying to figure out how to manage actual hunger when it occurs. I'm going top try not to weigh myself that much for awhile, since that also can be detrimental at first, if I focus on just the number.

Thanks to everyone for your advice, encouragement and suggestions, and for making me feel not so alone! :D

-Erin

Hi Erin, you sound like you have taken the words right out of my mouth. I had my op 6th may, I can't tell if I'm hungry or just craving to actually eat food as its all liquid. I've also been weighing myself and feeling the highs and lows. I felt like I'm going to fail at this as I felt like I've been eating none stop. I'm a bit lost on what exactly I should be eating, and how much, so I've been trying to see how much before I cramp.

My friend had a band put in some years ago and she told me to just follow the plan, it's a time to heal now, she said it took her 6 weeks for the swelling and discomfort to ease for her. Even thought it's a different surgery I think it's about the same intrusion.

Keep posting how you are tho, we seem to be having a very similar mind set here :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Good luck to you, too! Did you see a nutritionist beforehand? We had to take 3 classes pre-op and they gave us a handout with the things to eat for each stage post-op. That's how I got the OK for mushy Rice Krispies and egg beaters. But it said basically what another poster said- creamed Soup w/ no chunks, Protein shakes, broth, Clear Liquids, etc. I'm not alone in feeling this way- hopefully as we progress we'll feel better!!

@@erinkath If you are able to eat eggs - then that's a great Protein source. The rice krispies are high in carbs (even though only 4 gms sugar) so I'm surprised they recommended them. With me - carbs make me crave all the stuff I shouldn't be eating. You will not fail - you've already doing great!

Thanks for the article, it was really interesting. I actually borrowed that book from the library and found it very insightful and helpful! This whole thing is such a learning experience- it's great that we have this site for support and suggestions! :)

@@nicki72 - I took a pic of the handout I got from my nutritionist, regarding Post-Op Full liquids. Maybe this can help since you said you weren't sure what exactly to be eating at this stage- the Sample Menu is just suggestions, but it's a decent guide. I don't like a lot of the suggestions (the fruit cup, applesauce, ricotta), so as I mentioned before I'm mainly sticking to cold Cereal (this why they said Rice Krispies was an option during one of the sessions- but also oatmeal for hot cereal), cream of chicken (Fat Free) Soup, Muscle Milk Light for my Protein shakes and egg beaters. I mix unflavored Protein into my Soup and sometimes the egg beaters.

My nutritionist was part of my surgical group, we had to have 2 classes before we could get our surgery date, then the final 3rd class once surgery was scheduled.

But I attached the pics of my handout, if you're interested. Please lmk how you're making out since our stories sound so similar!post-290581-0-63344300-1463464193_thumb.jpg post-290581-0-69784000-1463464203_thumb.jpg

Edited by erinkath

@nicki72 - one more thing...my nutritionist visited me in hospital and she gave me this handout as well, had a few more ideas for thwe liquids stages.

I found this one had a lot of good ideas, too.

As always, whatever your DR said should be followed, but I hope these can give you some helpful ideas if you didn't really get great guidelines. Hope you don't mind me sharing :)

.post-290581-0-68452600-1463465616_thumb.jpg post-290581-0-43770300-1463465619_thumb.jpg

-Erin

Edited by erinkath