Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week post op....don't know what I'm doing

I've had my gastric sleeve on May 6th, I've had no pain but lots of stomach cramps and acid burn. Now on my 2nd week and don't know if I'm eating/drinking too much as I initially lost 12 pound in the first week, no I've gained 3 pound??!! It's really annoying me. Any advice? I think I'm due to be one of the failures

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

first off I don't believe you could even possibly eat enough to gain 3 pounds of FAT, so do not worry. if you could be constipated or something that could easily be due to that and Water weight. The first few weeks are your body healing and recovering and your body can do weird things during that time. keep with your plan, and you will loose.

secondly, we all have the fear that we will be that one person for whom it doesn't work. of course we do! everything else we have tried has not worked. but you will get there. your only job right now is to sip Water and get Protein.

what kinds of things are you able to have? I was on full liquids then.

Are you taking a PPI? Have you talked to your surgeon about your cramps and acid?

The numbers on the scale in the first few weeks are basically meaningless as far as I am concerned.

You need to focus on healing and getting in all of your Protein and fluids.

Please stay off the scale. Early out I only weighed at doctors appointments.

Just follow your program and the numbers will take care of themselves.

Thanks girls, u have put my mind at rest, I've binned the scales now. Can't be starting to evolve into a scales warrior lol.

I have been on clear fluids, I'm vegetarian so broth wasn't on the menu. I was having weetabix with lots of milk, Water, marmite drink, Heinz Soups, decaff coffee, lolly ices. All in small amounts. I've gained 3 pound since I tried eating over 2 days.

I don't actually know how much I should eat each meal, I'm kinda winging it. Today I'm going back to clear fluids and starting again. I'm not hungry so keeping hydrated is a good start x

Thanks girls, u have put my mind at rest, I've binned the scales now. Can't be starting to evolve into a scales warrior lol.

I have been on clear fluids, I'm vegetarian so broth wasn't on the menu. I was having weetabix with lots of milk, Water, marmite drink, Heinz Soups, decaff coffee, lolly ices. All in small amounts. I've gained 3 pound since I tried eating over 2 days.

I don't actually know how much I should eat each meal, I'm kinda winging it. Today I'm going back to clear fluids and starting again. I'm not hungry so keeping hydrated is a good start x

This doesn't sound like it will give you much Protein. What is your Protein target? (Mine is 100 grams a day.) What is your plan to get in your protein? Didn't your surgeon/NUT give you a post-op eating plan? You shouldn't have to wing it.

I was given a brief diet plan, week2 I introduce foods that slip off a spoon consistency, low fat and low sugar.....not told how much so been trying to feel when I get full.....there is a mention of Protein shakes but there isn't anything saying I need Protein, it's just basically listed. I didn't even know I should be having protein until I joined here.....I see the surgeon on 25th may so I'll have to try find out what I'm doing wrong.

That's unfortunate you didn't get better information. You should be concentrating on high Protein / low carb. At your stage (if you are at the puree stage) - you could eat things like hummus, creamy Soups (no chunks), cottage cheese, ricotta cheese (there's a ricotta bake recipe online), Greek yogurt (watch the sugars), eggs, sugar free pudding, and of course, Protein shakes. If you follow the typical post-op diet of Protein first, low carb and get all of your Water in (non caloric drinks) then you won't fail. Good luck!

I was given a brief diet plan, week2 I introduce foods that slip off a spoon consistency, low fat and low sugar.....not told how much so been trying to feel when I get full.....there is a mention of Protein shakes but there isn't anything saying I need Protein, it's just basically listed. I didn't even know I should be having protein until I joined here.....I see the surgeon on 25th may so I'll have to try find out what I'm doing wrong.

Here is what I have found that works for me:

Track my food. I use MyFitnessPal.

Get at least 64 oz of Fluid every day. I count all fluids, including my Protein Shakes toward this total. (I also avoid carbonation and severely limit caffeine.)

Get at least 100 grams protein every day.

Avoid starches, added sugars, and fried foods.

Practice eating mindfully: Eat slowly, take small bites, and chew thoroughly.

Take my Vitamins and supplements as directed.

Exercise. Once my incisions healed, I got back in the pool. My primary exercise is swimming.

Weigh infrequently (no more often than once a week).

Get enough restful sleep.

Do something creative every day. (For me, this is part of stress management. Exercise, nutritious food, sleep, etc. are all part of my goal to manage my stress on healthy ways.)

Journaling/prayer/meditation/spiritual practice.

Participating on BariatricPal and attending support group meetings when possible.

Continuing to learn and read about obesity, nutrition, emotional eating, etc.

And, learn to Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

Brilliant advice, thanks all. :) now I can start a fresh and get the Protein in.....yes I've pooped btw....took a while lol......I will go check out the fitness pal now. So glad I joined here thankyou

Brilliant advice, thanks all. :) now I can start a fresh and get the Protein in.....yes I've pooped btw....took a while lol......I will go check out the fitness pal now. So glad I joined here thankyou

Great!

My 100 gram Protein target is what my surgeon set for me. Yours may be different.

My surgeon's guidelines are:

100 grams for all men and anyone with a starting BMI over 50.

Everyone else (basically women with a starting BMI under 50): 80 grams.

You may see lower targets, but in my observation, the higher targets work well. Some folks who have lower targets seem to struggle more.

Are you taking a PPI? Have you talked to your surgeon about your cramps and acid?

The numbers on the scale in the first few weeks are basically meaningless as far as I am concerned.

My surgeoun/NUT said no Protein in the first week. Just Clear liquids. I don't start protein until week 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

My surgeoun/NUT said no Protein in the first week. Just Clear Liquids. I don't start protein until week 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

That is completely opposite from what my surgeon required. We need protein to heal. ProtiDiet liquid beverage concentrates and Isopure are both clear protein supplements. You can also drink bone broth which is clear and had protein. I was given the ProtiDiet while I was still in the hospital.

What's ppi please? .... I don't know why it's not all more straight forward

A PPI (proton pump inhibitor) is what you are given to reduce your stomach acid... eg nexium, pariet