Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been putting together a list of foods that i learn can be eaten for the past couple of days. I was wondering if anyone has gone back to bbq, steak, sushi, spicy foods....and how long out are yall from your surgery? One of my last meals pictured below. Spaghetti squash, chicken, broccoli, tomatoes...was lovely with a fresh green juice.

post-291776-14627581776481_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

I am 3 years post-op from RNY gastric bypass surgery. food became less important after surgery. I was never a fan of sushi or spicy foods, so I generally don't eat these. I stay away from barbecue because of the sugar content in the sauce. I do eat steaks but one T-Bone steak will last me for 3 meals.

After surgery, I found that softer foods went down easier. Softer foods are primarily chili and Soups. I have included a couple recipes at the end of the following article. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

I'm four months out from surgery. BBQ is a no (too much sugar) although I do eat BBQd food without the sauce. I eat steak and most kinds of meat. (Don't like sushi). I can't eat pork loin -- for some reason, it's the only thing that makes me sick.

What type of weight loss surgery did you have done? How long ago was your surgery? I had the Gastric bypass RNY done 15yrs ago, and I don't eat beef and pork due to the fact that it made me sick the first time I tried it. Then I went to try it again a month or two latter, and it still didn't agree with me. I get my Proteins from chicken, turkey, and fish. BBQ Sauce is a definite NO, it's got a lot of sugar in it, and sugar causes a dumping issue & the same goes for spicy foods. I eat sushi and I don't have a problem with that at all.

Sent from my SM-G360T using the BariatricPal App

I followed the food plan diligently but I am at goal and nearly 5 years post sleeve so I eat pretty much anything but in controlled portions and frequency. I eat bbq, sushi etc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using the BariatricPal App

If anyone is interested, I have a wonderful low carb sugar free BBQ Sauce that I make, and it is really good. You can make it as spicy as you like by adding additional hot sauce to it. If you are interested, let me know and I'll post the recipe. I don't have it with me right now, but I can do it later this evening. My husband loves this bbq sauce, and we use it quite a bit. It's great as a dip too!

This BBQ Sauce doesn't have vinegar in it, but it does use sugar free or low sugar ketchup. It also uses a diet coke (I use coke zero because I don't like diet coke) and then has lots or different spices and such in it. Some bacon, liquid smoke, onion, mustard (I use a spicy mustard), cloves, salt pepper, and some other stuff. It is very yummy.

Okay. I'll post it here.

sugar free BBQ Sauce:

Ingredients:

2 strips of thick bacon, chopped fine (or see note)

1 small onion, minced

1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1 small can (6 oz) Tomato paste

1 can (12 oz) diet (sugar-free) cola - Splenda sweetened preferred**

1/4 cup low carb ketchup (sugar-free or low sugar) (or see note)

3 Tblsp Mustard (I use either a spicy or dijon mustard)

1 Tblsp Worcestershire sauce

1 pinch ground clove

Hot sauce to taste

Preparation:

Note 1: If you prefer to leave the bacon out, add 1-3 tspns of liquid smoke, to taste, near the end of the cooking. Alternatively, add some smoky flavor using 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika, or chipotle powder to taste

Note 2: If you can't find low carb catsup, leave it out, but add about a tablespoon of vinegar and some sweetener, to taste (Heinz makes a less sugar catsup. I buy it at my local grocery store).

1. Fry the bacon in a saucepan - a 2 qt pan works well.

2. Add the onion and cook over medium until soft - 3-5 minutes. Add garlic at this point if using fresh and stir it for half a minute or so.

3. Add the rest of the ingredients, plus about 1/2 cup of Water. Stir well.

4. Simmer for 20-30 minutes. It will cook down a bit and flavors will combine.

5. Adjust the seasonings so you have the balance you want - you can add vinegar, artificial sweetener (liquid preferred), or hot sauce. (If it's too hot, adding more sweetener will tone it down).

The recipe makes approximately 10 servings of 1/4 cup each. Each serving has almost 3.5 grams of carbohydrate plus 1 gram of Fiber.

This recipe copied from Laura Dobson from About.com Low Carb Diets.

This BBQ Sauce freezes well. You can play with the ingredients to make it unique to your taste. The way I make it is more sweet and savory (although I do not add any additional artificial sweetener than what is in the diet cola).

Enjoy!!!!!

Edited by Renkoss

I had RNY on Apr-13-2016. I just started to eat more food (helped with my energy level). Spicy tuna tartar was one of the first things I tried and it was wonderful (surgeon agreed would be perfect). Although I couldn't eat much, mashed potatoes felt great in pouch. Mostly grilled chicken breast, fresh grilled fish and not much meat. I can no longer get an egg to my mouth. Surgeon said give it a rest for a couple weeks (great source of protein). Tons of yogurt and milk too.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I can eat sashimi (only raw fish) bc it's light and easy to go down. Almost all foods are hard for me to eat right now. I feel like is can live on sugar free Popsicles alone. I am only about 3 weeks out, so I hope this gets easier. I have zero appetite and feel weak. I drink Water all day to stay hydrated but it is so hard to get food in, right now. Any advice?

Just keep trying to eat pureed or soft foods. Try some refried Beans, yogurt, SF Jello, strained Soups, Protein shakes, gatorade...Just do an ounce or two every couple hours. Things will continue to improve. The first month it is a bit tough. Around week 5 you begin to really feel better.