Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Many Pounds until People started discussing your weight loss?

Did you ever notice that a normal size person will loose 10 pounds and the whole world stands up and takes notice, like they broke a new world record. I know that it is every bit as hard for us to loose the weight, yet 10 pounds does not cause the world to stop and take notice. I have seen amazing weight losses on this site and every pound is a success!:whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo:

So my question for this tread is how many pounds did you loose in order for the world to take notice? and how did you feel about the attention?

At the begining of my journey,

MCENI

For me it was about 20lbs. I don't like people talking about it, I'd rather they just move on and discuss something else.

BTW, it's much easier for us to lose weight than a thin person. The bigger you are the more calories you burn with the same exact exercise. If I run for 5 miles as at 252lbs I burn more calories than I do now at the same speed, same distance as a 166lb person.

The closer you get to goal the harder it is to lose weight.

I've lost somewhere about twenty five lbs so far and if I don't mention it, no one notices,. As I keep telling my husband, "it's like peeing in the ocean and expecting the Water level to rise.":clap2:

I think it just depends on how comfortable that person is with you. There are some people fairly close to me who have never said a word....and since I've lost over 100 pounds, it's very obvious.

I think from memory people really started to stop me and say "WOW, you look great" when I'd lost about 25 . It took longer than I expected as I had a BMI of 35 and thought it'd start to be noticeable pretty quickly. But it did take a good 25 lb to be noticeable and it took that much before I went down a clothing size too.

Now of course, I've only lost about 10lb this year. But some friends came for a barbeque yesterday and she hadnt seen me since Christmas and was raving about how much more I had lost. Its very noticeable when I lose a little now. Which I try to remind myself when I stare in despair at my thighs in the mirror - I can believe that 15 more will really fix them. Probably it wont, lol, we all have our trouble spots.

It was 40 or 50 for me. What's bad now is they ask me every time they see me and they think I'm a gastric bypass patient and when I say I've just lost 5 or 10 they sometimes act dissappointed.

I've lost 26# and nobody at work has said a word!! ;) I figure they're just thinking "Oh, she's dieting AGAIN." No big deal. Been there, done that.

Wait 'til I show them!!

I hate it when people comment on my weight. I find it an intrusion into my personal space. I would never do it to someone else so I just expect the same respect. But I'm sure that's just me.

This is so ingrained in me after a lifetime of hearing only negative comments, that even at support group meetings I have to force myself to compliment others on their progress. That's what we're THERE for and I still have a lot of trouble doing it. :lol:

For me it was about 35lbs. Some people still don't say any thing and I am like come on now! I like being told wow you have lost alot of weight. When the don't say anything I'm like damn I have so much more to lose.

For me it was about 25 when closer friends started noticing, it was about 50 when more folks noticed, and by 65 even my boss said something. It gets addictive to hear the comments. At first they were a little uncomfortable as I didn't tell anyone about the band. Now I just openly talk about it and still get loads and loads of support.

For me it was more like 90 (then again, I needed to lose twice that, so it's somewhat understandable). I remember when I'd lost 75 and was annoyed that people weren't really commenting (not that I wanted their comments -- it's a double edged sword).

It's been with in the past 10 lbs (so >80 total) but multiple people are now saying things about my weight. I still have > 90 to go so it took a long time before it became really visible in the size clothes I was wearing etc

I've lost 42 pounds and only one person has said something and that was after I told her I had had surgery...so not too sure if she was sincere or not...probably just being nice. Even though I don't want them to comment, I come home everyday and complain to my husband. WTF? What does it matter if they comment or not? As long as I am losing, I should be happy, right?

When people see you on a daily basis I'm not sure it is very easy to notice. When you lose a pound at a time it's hard to see. The bigger we are the harder it is to see.

I was kinda glad when people didn't say much. It just made me feel uncomfortable.

I'm Not Sure How I Feel About This. It Would Be Nice To Get A Comment And Encourage Me Now And Then I Think. I Do Agree That The Bigger We Are The Less They Notice. I Started Here A Year Ago And Weighed 398lbs. I Now Weigh 336lbs And Not A Word Has Ever Been Said. I Am In 2 Sizes Smaller-but When That's A 26 I Guess They Just Still See H-u-g-e!!!!!!!!!!