Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week Post-op in able to get anything in

So I had my mini gastric bypass surgery on April 30th. Due to some complications I had to stay the the 3 nights following in ICU and the 4th night at the hospital's normal room and was discharged yesterday. For 4 days I had absolutely no oral intake what so ever. Yesterday and the day before I was already starting to feel really much better and had no symptoms at all (which now I think was due to the heavy medications) in fact I was feeling really hungry in the last two days. The dietician pass by me early yesterday and said I can start on Clear liquids (Water, apple juice, Jello and clear broth) and should stick to that for 3 days. Following that I should move into heavy liquids (Soups, milk juices and yogurt). My surgeon however later said I can skip that and can start with heavy liquids as long as I can tolerate it. Happy was I went straight ahead and had cream of chicken Soup right after discharge. I wasn't really sure when was I full so after having half the bowl decided to stop. Had some apple juice 2 hours later. Had my Vitamins and went to bed. Woke up with some abdominal discomfort and really heavy and bloating. massive diarrhea. Today I am still feeling bloated and unable to take anything in orally. Diarrhea still there and I feel abdominal discomfort and really extremely lethargic. So what should I do to ease this and regain some energy back? Should I just force my self to some liquids?

Also my hair started to fall off really bad. Bought some hair vitamins along with the special Bariatric vitamins but even the smell of vitamins gets me nauseous.. Any help with that??

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by mmy

I had my surgery on April 26, so I'm a newbie too, but I thought I'd give you my take. For me, cream of chicken Soup would not have worked right out of the gate. I tried some homemade cream of mushroom around 6 days post-op, and it did not sit well with my stomach. For me, the things that have gone down easiest have been sugar free pudding, light Greek yogurt, and Protein shakes. If you still feel yuck today, maybe start with just liquids. As important as Protein is, not getting dehydrated trumps it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Just curious, but was the juice you had diluted? How many grams of sugar were in the juice you drank before you felt sick? You may be experiencing dumping - a weird form of it. I find it strange that the hospital staff was giving you juice, considering its high sugar content and acidity.

As for cream Soups, I discovered I had similar issues with cream of chicken. I strained it exactly like I was supposed to and thinned it with milk, and still, it made me pretty nauseous. I tried a low sodium one, since high salt levels can be a culprit behind tummy issues, and it was even worse. So I stayed away from cream soups for a long time. Now I can't find one that doesn't have a ton of preservatives and gross junk, as well as tons of carbs and salt.

Hope you feel better soon! Sip Water sloooooowly, and if the pain continues, maybe give your doctor a ring. Can't be too careful. Perhaps tea would soothe some of that discomfort?

Edited by Cervidae

Oh, also - about the hair falling out: you can't stop it. People always think there is a way but they always find out in the end that it happens no matter what you do. You can, however, take Biotin to help it regrow quickly. I get mine from costco but you can also get it from CVS and basically any other drugstore. The one I take is dissolvable and tastes like grapes. :P

Cream of chicken Soup can contain a fair amount of fat and that could certainly cause an issue this soon post-op (especially as one of the first things eaten). I was told to stay away from juices even in full liquids stage.