Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep Apnea after WLS.

I was recently diagnosed with sleep Apnea. I'm headed into my third month of my 6 diet. My question is does sleep apnea ever get "cured" after losing a lot of weight after surgery?

Oh yeah...

I used to have it baaaaaadddd...

Now I just snore a bit and don't die repeatedly in my sleep and stuff...

It's kinda cool...

Mine wasn't diagnosed, but I definitely had it and don't now. I snored so loud my family could hear me downstairs with the doors closed, and I would wake up choking and with a pounding head most mornings. Since surgery though, I don't snore anymore. Even my husband can't believe how quiet I am now. I don't wake up choking anymore either. I really used to go to sleep each night afraid my kids would find me dead in my bed in the morning. So there is definitely hope that you can be "cured" after surgery. It probably won't be as fast as the day/week you go home, but a few months out, you might be!

Thanks y'all! sleep Apnea scares the crap out of me. Especially now I know I have it. I kinda figured I did have it because I too would wake up with pounding headaches and on an occasion I would wake up with a choking feel that turned into a cough.

Edited by RNY-Gal

Prior to surgery, I snored so loud that it kept my wife awake all night long. She is a light sleeper. After surgery, I would wake up in the middle of the night and sometimes find my wife hovering over me. I was sleeping so quietly, she thought I died. And she was trying to see if I was still breathing.

I had sleep apnea and used a Cpap machine. I had my RNY on 10/12/15 2 months later no machine and no snoring at all (according to my husband). I'd also like to add no more high blood pressure meds either ????

Happiness is losing weight.

I had sleep apnea and was on bipap. I have not needed my machine for over a year now. Recently however they put me on heavy duty pain meds (fentanyl patch). This med is scary because it definitely affects your breathing. I have been on it for 6 weeks and I recently asked for a different plan as this drug is effecting me in a negative way. Anyway, I hauled out my bipap machine and have been using it while on this medication.

I cannot simply stop it because I am on a high dose and will go through severe withdrawals so they put me on a cocktail of antidepressants for pain control and it will take about 6 weeks for that to start working. So they have me taking this high dose for a month of fentanyl and then we will ween me down slowly.

It is not a drug I would allow them to put me on in the future. I have the strangest dreams that reoccur and continue. Also my memory is shot. Things that happen for real, I mistake for dreams and dreams become real. It is very friggin scary stuff.

I no longer have sleep apnea :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using the BariatricPal App

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Theweightisover2024🙌💪

Question for anyone, how did you get your mind right before surgery? Like as far as eating better foods and just doing better in general? I'm having a really hard time with this. Any help is appreciated 🙏❤️
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

I had about 6 months between deciding to do surgery and getting scheduled. I came across the book The Pound of Cure by Dr. Matthew Weiner, a bariatric surgeon in Arizona, and started to implement some of the changes he recommended (and lost 13 lbs in the process without ever feeling deprived). The book is very simple, and the focus is on whole, plant based foods, but within reason. It's not an all or nothing approach, or going vegan or something, but focuses on improvement and aiming for getting it right 80-90% of the time. His suggestions are divided into 12 sections that you can tackle over time, perhaps one per month for a year if a person is just trying to improve nutrition and build good habits. They range from things like cutting out artificial sweetener or eating more beans to eating a pound of vegetables per day. I found it really effective pre-surgery and it's an eating style I will be working to get back to as I am further out from surgery and have more capacity. Small changes you can sustain will do the most for building good habits for life.

2. Theweightisover2024🙌💪

That sounds awesome. I'll have to check that out thanks!

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches