Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd post op appointment update! (first was right after surgery)

Today was my 2nd post op appointment with surgeon 4 months out. He was very impressed with my loss so far and all my blood looks great! It felt good to have him be impressed as he is tough one lol. I go again in 2 months.

I admit I am not planning enough and do pick the wrong choices at times - what can I say I am carb addict! I also am not exercising as I should and I know how important that is. Need to get my butt in gear and stop being so lazy!

He reminded me most of it is head hunger and wants me to only eat 1x per day if that is all I am hungry for (if I need more that is fine but he said I really shouldn't be) Snacks he wants it to be fruit or salad, wants me to stay away from drinking calories (no Soups and isn't a fan of Protein drinks). He says I shouldn't be worried about getting enough Protein in just focus on eating healthy for life.

I feel great and want to make sure to maximize this first year!

Thanks so much to everyone here who helped me pre op and into post op. I haven't posted much lately but I still read daily. You are all so helpful. This was the best decision I made and funny how before I was shy about it - now I want to talk about it all the time!

@@Leesa926 - I am also a Uchal patient. He is great, tough, but very good. The only thing I didn't agree with was the fruit comment that I was also told about 4 months out. I asked him if I could do veggies instead and he said yes. Fruit has a lot of natural sugars and you may want to watch that as well.

Where did you have your surgery?

I am also one of Dr. Uchal's patients.....my surgery is supposed to be in May....I can't wait! I have my pre-op class on 4/25. My surgery will be at St. Vincent's in Riverside.

@Jane13. Yes he did say salad even better. I love salad so no biggie. I think he was just trying to emphasize not having bad Snacks.

Surgery was 12/16 so this was my 4 month post op. I had it at Southside.

@@kmorri congrats!!! You will be so happy you did this. Dr. Uchal is great!!

Sounds good on your 4 month.

I did mine recently.....seems like it was just last week.....yet my 6 month check in is next week. Dayum the time is going by swiftly.

It is interesting to me how wide ranging the advice is from our surgeons.

Mine really didn't push me to exercise....in fact he cautioned me to slow my roll. He continues to maintain that it's important, but not as important for weight loss as I came into this believing. He and I will agree to disagree here. I view exercise as vital in my future life for living at my goal weight.

He was adamant about not eating salads. He said to instead just eat the meats and cheeses from them and avoid the dressings and not to waste valuable sleeve space on lettuce. Again....I agree to disagree with him as crunching on a salad with cold crispy vegetables is very satisfying and I love the flavors. I am very careful about dressing choices, though.

He was not a fan of any fruits at the 4 month time, either. He just urged me to continue with Vitamin supplementation and adhere to proper timing of my Calcium chews, Iron, B-12 and multis.

He was okay with my coffee enjoyment and the occasional vodka & diet cranberry.

He was pleased with my Water intake.

He just was emphatic about 3 meals a day and no Snacks. The meals are to be 1/2 sized and eaten over 30 mins. The meals are to be chicken, steak, fish and the like.

No drink before or after eating for 30+ mins.

Sorry to jump into your thread with this......I just always chuckle when I hear the differences in our surgeons advice.