Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This procedure is needed to change my life. I am almost 23, weigh around 325 lbs and am 5'8 tall. The dieting part is what frightens me because if dieting were so easy then I would not weigh what I do now. Need help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

are you having surgery..

u have to be willing to commit and have a totally different mind set..

I know I'm committed in my mind to do what is right and not fall off ..

are you having surgery..

u have to be willing to commit and have a totally different mind set..

I know I'm committed in my mind to do what is right and not fall off ..

I am not. Parents and I have been talking for a while but we need to see if insurance covers it then find the right time as I am in school and dont want to go to and from class in pain half the time. Thanks for replying! :)

I've been scared at times too, but sometimes you just have to figure out your basic plan, then just start doing rather than thinking. Believe me, getting stuck in your own head doesn't help any more than the fear does. Mistakes will probably happen along the way, all you can do is get up the next morning with a renewed goal to keep moving forward.

This procedure is needed to change my life. I am almost 23, weigh around 325 lbs and am 5'8 tall. The dieting part is what frightens me because if dieting were so easy then I would not weigh what I do now. Need help.

You absolutely need to change your behaviors but WLS can provide you with a tool to help. I waited until I was 47 to realize I couldn't do it on my own. I have gained probably 75- 100lbs since I was 23. Find a good Bariatric Program that incorporates Nutrition, Psych and an experienced surgeon. We all would benefit from counseling as well. I'm scheduling an appointment with the Psychologist for emotional eating before I have surgery. I'm not an expert by any means but I can only say - I wish I started this journey when I was younger. I could have avoided all of the health problems that are associated with being obese. Good luck with whatever you decide. A weight loss program would be beneficial even if you decide not to go the surgery route. Just go to an informational seminar to learn more. Please keep us posted.

Edited by KristenLe

I SO wish I would have had this surgery when I was your age. I waited until I was 34, and that is my ONLY regret. I think the biggest issues is that this is not a diet. You are having surgery to permanently alter your anatomy to help you increase your chances of living longer with a better quality of life. It is not magic though. You are right. It is hard work. But to me, it has NEVER been a diet. It's just not a diet. A diet is a temporary change in eating habits to lose a certain amount of weight. This is a complete change of lifestyle. For me it was a complete change of eating habits, exercise habits, lifestyle choices, committment to dealing with the emotional issues underlying my over-eating, etc. It was a holistic approach for me. I honestly don't think the surgery can be successful in the long term without thinking of it as a whole life over-haul. Good luck to you! I know you can do it!

Hi, I have had the surgery and I am 23 as well, I already had seen so many obese persons (including me) with their neverending struggle to diet/lose weight, etc without any sucess, and I was so fed up with my weight and all the other problems.

There is nothing to be scared about, this surgery is not that painful (well it is during a week, but yeah 80% of one your organ was removed. Also you won't be missing class too much, I have been given a one month "holiday" after the surgery, but after two weeks I was feeling well already.

Having the sleeve will change your feelings about food, I personally no longer crave fat food. You have to eat slowly and actually start to enjoy what you are eating rather than shovelling industrial quantities of food down your throat without asking questions. So yeah, I was scared too because I devoured so many things all the time, but now that I had this surgery, it seems that this past behaviour is relatively absurd. It's not a diet, it changes too many things (and permanently for the most).

I know there are differences between what's following the surgery from my country to the US (I keep reading about Protein shakes and weird stuff like that, and I don't understand a thing about these approvals/insurances things), but the results are astouding and I feel way better even though it was quite recent (end of February).

Cheers!

Wrong post sorry

Edited by Samara1974