Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Three weeks after surgery I already feel like I have hit a plateau

Well its been three weeks and I have lost 20 lbs. but nothing in the last three days. So needless to say I am discouraged! I am wondering if some of my medications are hindering my weight loss. My medications is the reason I had the sleeve and not the bypass. I know I need support and I have some support to offer. If you take a lot of medication I have found that putting it in applesauce either crushed or whole helps get them down. But you have to plan your meals around it because sometimes fluids and that much applesauce will fill you up/

Hang in there!! Most people usually lose 1-2 lbs a week! Also if your not passing your bowels you could be backed up...you will get there...baby steps...your body is adjusting just as you are...im 3 weeks post op too and i lose 1-3 lbs a week...very weird almost as if i lose it over night...

Whats your food intake like? Why are you putting applesauce in your pills? What kind? Sugar is a no no so early on....

Virtually everyone hits a significant stall at three weeks out. If you don't believe me, do a Google search for something like "vsg 3 week stall" or "weight loss surgery third week stall" -- you are not alone!

That said, I strongly recommend not weighing yourself so frequently. There are going to be times when weight doesn't come off like you want it, and you will never lose in a way that would result in a straight downward slope if you plotted your weight loss on a graph. If you find three days of no weight loss discouraging, buckle down, because you will have stalls for far longer than that, and you can't let that mess with your head.

Exactly what @@Bufflehead said. Almost everyone stalls at three weeks out. It is the time your body is adjusting to the weight loss. Take measurements during this time and you will probably see that you are still losing inches. Also be very careful to watch your meds during this time. As you start loosing weight so quickly you may find that you don't need as many meds or as high a dose very quickly. Be sure to check with your PCP often as you loose the weight. I had a bad experience with BP meds that I was taking where my BP hot down to 80 / 40. I ended up passing out a couple of times and broke my nose when I crashed into the bathroom floor.

nothing in the last three days

@@trishrnyoung

you lost 20 lbs pre & post op??

that's wonderful

there ARE certain medications that can rub the wrong way concerning weight loss

some might cause weight gain

this issue is something to talk to NUT or doc about

an official stall, plateau is when you haven't lost any weight for at least 2-3 weeks

not 2-3 days

many times newbies et al have unrealistic expectations

it took months and years to gain weight

it's not gonna melt off overnight

mom called the day after i came home from hospital

she told me to stand up

then she said "did your underwear fall down?" :o

i told her it doesn't work that way!!!

she said something like "Oh, I thought it did"!!!

i'm sure you are following all the basic rules

Water, Protein, portions, carbs, veggies etc

please DON'T be discouraged!!

"GOD Grant Me Patience Just Hurry Up About It"

good luck

kathy

None of us lose at a constant or steady rate. We all experience periodic stalls. Most of us experience a stall about three weeks after surgery.

Just follow your program and focus on getting in all of your Protein and fluids.

It may also be a good idea to stay off the scale for a while.

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

hi all. proudgrammy, thats 20 lbs post-op. Maybe I am being too hard on myself. I think, staying off the scales is a good idea. My mom, who is a great inspiration to me agrees. I probably am not getting enough Protein or fluids because I can't keep from being nauseous. It feels like it is "right there" and it wont go anywhere, up or down. So I end up throwing up a lot of spit. I was 239 when I started and would LOVE to get down to 130. That would exceed my expectations. I feel like I wish I could have had the bypass but there are some medications that I will never get off of, like my psych meds. And, I know one of them does cause weight gain so I know I am fighting upstream with that one. But with all this being said, I do feel better already. There are some things that most people take for granted that I couldn't do 3 weeks ago that I can do now. I have severe RA but am determined to walk as much as I can. I am embracing my treadmill because I know if I just cant go any further, I can just step off of it and I am home near a seat. I have had a total left knee and my right one needs to be replaced. I really felt it yesterday when I was on the treadmill, but am determined not to have it replaced until one year post-op. I am so glad I found this site. I live out in the middle of nowhere where the nearest support group is 60 miles away. Even then, I plan on attending as many as I can. Thanks all for your wise thoughts.

You will get there.

Those first two months are the hardest post op timeframe.

I would really reconsider not doing the applesauce bit, though. Maybe there is an easy carb-free low calorie solution.