Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid diet begins....

Ashlie, that's hilarious! ????

I'm liquid only, less than 50g carbs per day, and 700-900 cal per day. It was definitely hard to adjust to not chewing.

Every doctor is different in how they handle their patients with the liquid diet prior to surgery. It may also be the insurance who dictates some of how it should be handled. I know my surgeon requires the 2 week pre-op liquid diet to help shrink the liver and also to get the body ready for rapid weight loss. That is what the paperword says anyway.

I'm from Cleveland, Ohio. My surgery is being performed at The Cleveland Clinic and my surgeon is Dr. Phillip Shauer. He is the head of the Bariatric and Metabolic Institute at The Cleveland Clinic-Cleveland.

Day 4 of the liquid diet. Doing okay so far. I have added a few oyster crackers to my broth at meal time. I need just a tiny bit of sustanance to stave off the hunger pains. I thought as a diabetic I pee'd a lot throughout the day; it is nothing compared to this liquid diet!! I should have bought stock in toilet paper!

I have included greek yogurt in my diet plan right now as well. I use it as a dessert at night. Helps to keep me satiated throughout the night. I also have to watch my blood sugar so it doesn't bottom out while I'm asleep. Going into a low state of blood sugar when you are sleeping is no fun; I've experienced that before and trust me it is scary.

Also I found these fruit/veggie sugar free popsicles (low carb too) made by Outshine that are to die for! The popsicles satisfy the need to "chew" on something. Okay, I'm making myself hungry now! No more food talk!

10 days my fellow April 11th peeps! 10 days!

Good luck from another Garth Davis patient!

The 2-week diet was tough... but doable. I hated the BA shakes, the smell was nauseating to me. I had a lot of trouble getting more than 3 of those down each day. I stopped using them after surgery, in fact I still have an unopened vanilla bag in my pantry I believe. First month after surgery, I used Premier Protein shakes to supplement. 6 months out, I don't use shakes anymore... but occasionally will have a Quest bar. I don't eat much meat/dairy anymore... maybe every other day I'll have some chicken or fish. Anyhow, good luck!

I'm from Texas!

The liquid diet gets better! As long as you muscle through the first couple of days, it quits being miserable. My Bariatric Advantage vegetable Soup has been the best thing. Being able to eat something savory with a spoon has mentally made it so much easier. Plus, I'm stuffed after a small bowl of it.

800-1000calories., 60-100g Protein, high Protein low carb. A suggested menu is Breakfast veggie, 1oz cottage cheese, 2 egg omelet

snack apple

lunch 4oz chicken breast 3cups salad greens, 2TBSP low fat dressing

Snack5.3oz chobani nonfat plain Greek yogurt with 2TBSP cinnamon and hint of vanilla extract

dinner Premier Protein Shakechocalate

Snack 1-2 sugar free Popsicles

64oz Water

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

TMI question here; is anyone else having problems with bowels with this liquid diet? This is Day 4 for me and I've had two episodes of very loose BM's. I also get a bit of cramping and my stomach gets really bloated and hard afterwards for a bit. I understand everything going in is liquid and liquid shall come back out, but I have to do a bowel prep Monday for a colonoscopy on Tuesday and I'm slightly concerned that I'll become dehydrated or ill. I think I might have to call the doctors office tomorrow to find out how to handle this. I can't imagine taking Imodium would be prescribed since I believe this is what they want is for the body to be cleansed.

Anyone else having problems?

TMI question here; is anyone else having problems with bowels with this liquid diet? This is Day 4 for me and I've had two episodes of very loose BM's. I also get a bit of cramping and my stomach gets really bloated and hard afterwards for a bit. I understand everything going in is liquid and liquid shall come back out, but I have to do a bowel prep Monday for a colonoscopy on Tuesday and I'm slightly concerned that I'll become dehydrated or ill. I think I might have to call the doctors office tomorrow to find out how to handle this. I can't imagine taking Imodium would be prescribed since I believe this is what they want is for the body to be cleansed.

Anyone else having problems?

Not TMI and YESsss. I had four days of straight liquid BM. It was miserable. Now it's tapered off and nothing is happening but I'm on day 6. I am starting to not feel hungry at all which I never thought the day would come. But I'm forcing liquids and broths down. One more week for me.... That's what I keep telling myself.

I would for sure call the Dr just to check in if you're feeling uncomfortable about what's happening or you have questions. My office has told me a billion times call with questions, and they keep calling me to see if I have any. LOL.

I hope this helps!!

Ashlie M

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks for answering Ashlie M. It just sometimes helps to know you are not going through the "TMI" parts of this process alone. I did google and there were many posts from people in years past who had bariatric and had the same experience on the pre-op diet. I was concerned mostly because I have to do a bowel prep Monday afternoon-evening for a colonoscopy on Tuesday. I did call the Gatrointestinal clinic and they said to do as much of the prep as needed to get output as clear as possible. So, okay. I'll just have to drink a ton of Water. I'm not a huge Water person, so I'll do the best I can. We have the same surgery date, so yes, I am on Day 6 as well. The hunger is beginning to diminish, and I as well am continuing to do the broth, popsicles, Protein shakes. I just know that 20 min afterwards I'm going to be in the bathroom!

It will get better! The first few days are tough, but once you make it through those you'll feel much better. :)