Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cauliflower Pizza Crust. ????

Maybe it is because I'm originally from Chicago but all the good reviews on cauliflower Pizza Crust I read were inaccurate. It stunk up my house from making it, and I ended up just pulling off the turkey sausage and cheese that I put on it.

Anyone have any luck with the chicken pizza crust?

Ok. I'm a Chicagoan as well and a purist when it comes to my pizza lol. Thin needs to be super thin and crispy and deep dish is deep dish. So what in the world is chicken or cauliflower Pizza Crust? ??? Sounds sacrilegious!

I actually made this the other night. The trick to ending up with something that resembles a crust and not a smushy stinky mess is to not steam the cauliflower first. Basically you either buy the bag where it is already in fine crumbles or pulse it through the food processor until you get the crumbles. You then squish all of the excess Water out of it using a cheese cloth, or a good papertowel (so you don't get paper towel flecks caught in it). After that you mix the uncooked cauliflower pieces with 1-2 eggs depending on how much cauliflower you have and a sprinkling of shredded cheese. I read that goat cheese actually works well too. Then you smash it all together, spread it out on parchment paper on a cookie sheet, and densely pack it into something that resembles a crust. You bake it at 400 for 45 minutes, pull it out, flip it over, and bake it for another 10 minutes. Then if you're making pizza you can put on the sauce, chicken, and cheese. I kinda like it better just as eating it like crust without the pizza sauce addition because I felt extra full when I ate it with all of the pizza toppings. My house spelled pretty good afterward, and I liked the finished product, but it wasn't something I could save for the next day. Cold real pizza and cold cauliflower pizza are totally different things, lol.

I was going for thin and crispy, but that isn't what I got. Maybe it was because I did cook the cauliflower first and not wring the Water out of it. Not sure I will try it again however because I could not get past the cauliflower taste either. Funny, because I actually like cauliflower. I noticed it was pretty liquid when I spread it out but I thought it was because I added too much egg white. Good to know about it not keeping as well.

I guess I will just have to splurge on the real thing a couple of times a year. I was so happy when they opened a Gino's east in my neighborhood last year here in Texas, and now I can't enjoy it.

I have not tried the cauliflower crust but I do make pizza with wonton skins as the crust. I also use a pizza stone and it makes the wonton skins super crisp.

It doesn't necessarily compare to the Gino's or Lou Malnatis but I don't want the calories of those places anyways! And this Italian Chicagoan is perfectly happy with wonton pizza.

Edited by Nurse_Lenora

You didn't know? Cauliflower, which is one of my favorite vegetables, will smell up the place, as do its cruciferous cousins, broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, et al.

Aside from that, anyone who tells you that cauliflower is a wonderful substitute for real pizza crust, real mashed potatoes or anything else is a crackpot, pure and simple.

I actually like cauliflower, but do not consider it a real crust. I made it once and decided it wasn't worth the hassle. Some people really love having substitutes for favorite foods but realize they are never the same as the original. If they were, theyd be selling cauliflower pizza slices from food trucks - and guess what, they dont!!!

It really depends on the recipe, most cauliflower crust recipes suck. As a former Chicagoan I take my pizza real serious especially my thin crust.

This is the best recipe I have tried. http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/08/24/foolproof-cauli-pizza-pepperoni

If you are a good cook, you can really make good substitutions. I make saffron cauliflower rice, it is delicious and I make garlic cheddar mashed cauliflower and it is delicious. I just don't make it often because unless I am going to have it for a snack, I don't have room for it after eating my Protein.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I just use a Flat out for my pizza crust. Not worth all the effort it takes with the cauliflower, IMO. I would like to try the chicken crust though.

I just use a Flat out for my Pizza Crust. Not worth all the effort it takes with the cauliflower, IMO. I would like to try the chicken crust though.