Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Prepping your skin for weight loss surgery

Hey y'all! I'm about a month out from my tentative surgery date so I'm trying to prepare myself in every way possible. What are you guys doing to help your skin and minimize skin sagging after surgery? I've upped my Water intake, trying to get lots of Protein in and taking a Multivitamin. Right now, I'm using a Shea butter lotion but I think I'm doing to add vit e oil and bio oil to it. I've also peeped a Keratin lotion on Amazon that I'm thinking about incorporating too.

If any of you are experienced and have had some success in reducing the amount of skin sag, please inform the rest of us ;)

Pre surgery friends: what's your plan for battling skin sag?

Edited by Andi07

Surgery date is 4/28. I've been wondering the same thing

I'm working on a time machine to go back before I ever gained so much weight and then I'm gonna have the sleeve surgery so I'll never actually get fat. :P

Yeah....just kidding........point is.....it's too late now. Whatever your skin situation is after you lose.....that's pretty much what you're gonna have......nothing much you can do about it now.

Of course, if you don't like how it ends up....there is always "plastics". Good luck, hope it snaps back for you like a rubber band. ;)

I don't know if it's going to help because I have 5 billion stretch marks but I'm going to dry brush my entire body before the shower, use Jergens Skin Firming Toning Moisturizer (I've read good things from other sleevers about that lotion), workout, make sure I stay well hydrated, meet my daily Protein intake and take all my Vitamins. I think it will help at least and if it doesn't I'll know I did everything possible lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the BariatricPal App

I don't know if it's going to help because I have 5 billion stretch marks but I'm going to dry brush my entire body before the shower, use Jergens Skin Firming Toning Moisturizer (I've read good things from other sleevers about that lotion), workout, make sure I stay well hydrated, meet my daily Protein intake and take all my Vitamins. I think it will help at least and if it doesn't I'll know I did everything possible lol.

Boom! That's what I'm talking about! Even if it doesn't work or help, I'll know without a shadow of a doubt, that I did everything I could to help alleviate the issue. I'm going to look into that Jergens lotion. Thanks!

I've had two kids and my skin bounced back each time, with minimal stretch marks, so I'm hoping that all will be well. Putting out positive vibes for little to no skin sag!

Boom! That's what I'm talking about! Even if it doesn't work or help, I'll know without a shadow of a doubt, that I did everything I could to help alleviate the issue. I'm going to look into that Jergens lotion. Thanks!

I've had two kids and my skin bounced back each time, with minimal stretch marks, so I'm hoping that all will be well. Putting out positive vibes for little to no skin sag!

It sounds like your skin has great elasticity if it bounced back well after your pregnancies, that's awesome! You're lucky and have good genes :) positive vibes though and fingers crossed!

Thanks for posting this thread Andi I'm finding the information to be very useful. Yep, going to steal some of the ideas here, like drinking Water, try the firming lotions and try to get as much Vitamin E as possible oh and pray. If that doesn't work I'm going to have to invest in a lot of Shapewear until I can magically afford plastics.

Genetics, age, and how long your skin has been stretched are the major factors. If it bounced back from kids you may do well. Someone in my support group said she uses Goldbond Protein lotion and her skin did well. I started using that before surgery. I am not expecting to have loose skin since my weight is in my hips and booty. But I take all my Vitamins, started exercising -too early for weights now tho and trying to get in Protein and Water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

dry skin brushing is the only thing that really helps, that and chemical peels.

Thanks every one for chiming in. I truly appreciate it. I'm going to look into this dry brushing method too. Any tips for that?

Google dry skin brushing and you will find images. You want to brush towards your lymph nodes. Lymphatic massages help also. Basically with dry skin brushing you make your skin thicker and it acts more like a natural girdle and helps hold in cellulite etc.

From your picture I am guessing you are African American, our skin is already thicker so dry skin brushing can really help and bring some rapid results. If you brush and do body chemical peels you can really tighten your skin up. I am having good results with dry skin brushing, chemical peels, bio oil and Vitamin e cream, the when I work out I use a menthol base cream with a neoprene suit.

Google dry skin brushing and you will find images. You want to brush towards your lymph nodes. Lymphatic massages help also. Basically with dry skin brushing you make your skin thicker and it acts more like a natural girdle and helps hold in cellulite etc.

From your picture I am guessing you are African American, our skin is already thicker so dry skin brushing can really help and bring some rapid results. If you brush and do body chemical peels you can really tighten your skin up. I am having good results with dry skin brushing, chemical peels, bio oil and Vitamin e cream, the when I work out I use a menthol base cream with a neoprene suit.

Thanks for the tips! I hurried and googled it and am going to order a brush soon or go by sally's and buy one. Where are you going to have your chemical peels or are you doing them at home yourself? My facial chemical peels I get from makeup artists choice so ill have to see what they have for the body

@@Andi07

I use the MUAC Body peel. http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/5-Acid-Body-Peel_p_212.html

I love MUAC, and I have used their products for years. Their body products work great.

Make sure your brush has natural bristles. http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Bristle-Contoured-Wooden-Handle/dp/B0016ISD04/ref=sr_1_7_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1458597073&sr=8-7&keywords=dry+skin+brushing

What I do is dry skin brush, then acid peel, then shower, Follow up with Bio oil on my problem areas, arms/upper inner thighs/stomach, and almond oil all over, once the oil settles and little, I follow up with Vitamin E cream, or MSM lotion.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I am doing a few things ( I have until May 17th)... I'm found hair, skin, and nail chewable gummie Vitamins at costco that I'm taking religiously and really hoping that one helps with not losing my hair too! But also I've been using a sugar and oil scrub in the shower everyday along with a good Shea butter lotion. I mix some Shea butter, coconut oil, and Vitamin together and add sugar to it for my body scrub. I'm also drinking lots of Water too.