Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Results

I was banded yesterday at 1. Everything was great with the exception that I had a hard time waking up from anestesia and was in pain so they gave me an injection of demerol. I've never had surgery or painkillers like that so I didn't know that I don't tolerate demerol. It knocked me out but not to the point of sleep and I was still in pain! But the wonderful nurse that I got after recovery gave me a steroid anti-inflamatory and within an hour was able to walk around. I have had some gas pains but find that the more I walk the better it is. I finally had my first good burp this morning and felt soooo much better. All in all it was no where near as bad as I thought and leaning back in a recliner is the only way I can sleep and get up and down easily. I also had a significant hiadal hernia repair and it doesn't even bother me!

Well its been since Monday for me (Thursday now). I went for a walk outside as i am getting a little tired of being inside.

The walk was fine. My pain level is low but i get tired really quick (might be the codine).

It does take a while to drink even 5 onces.

The doc gave me the largest band and he said even that one was a little tight on me so he was a little concerned on day 4 or 5 my stomach might swell a little to where i wont be able to take Water down. If that happens i will have to go back on an iV. Everything has been going down good so far though.

The advantage is i wont need many fills he said to feel in my green zone.

I sleep in a recliner for now which really is ok with me, just taking it easy watching movies and playing xbox alot.

Everything went well. Pain averaged between 5-8. I am walking around today, feel remakably well. pain 4-6. Only thing that sucked was the foley catheter last nite! OWWWWWWW. Feel like I have ghoneria! Up and walking, slowly sipping liquids. Got my 64 0z down today. No nauseas, no shoulder pain yet! Life is on track. I am excited. Hang in there guys. Don't let the pain hurt to take meds. Stay in front of it. if you start feeling pain in the hospital take meds right away otherwise you will be trying to catch up. More later.....

Good Luck on the journey everyone.

I got my band yesterday by Dr. Spivak. I had been nervous the night before and as luck would have it our internet was down and I couldnt get online to check out the forums. I am so glad it is up now. Any way, my surgery went well. I didn't have much pain though they did give me the good stuff at the hospital. I was up and walking quickly and was able to leave the hospital 2 hours after getting out of recovery. I was feeling quite well yesterday, even took a little walk in the evening. I have been in more pain today, nothing excruciating but more than the previous day. I have been able to drink well by taking frequent sips. I actually got hungry today, not sure if that is good or bad. I haven't had much gas pains, just been burping now and then which is a relief. I just hope this is the worst of the gas. I did have a problem when I went to take a shower, I had to stop half way through because I got dizzy and felt like I might pass out. I had to get out and sit for a while before I could finish. Because of that its made me wary of going outside by myself for a walk. For now I am just making sure I get up and walk around inside as much as possible. Yesterday my throut was bothering me making me cough some but that has been better today except for tonight it started to bother me again. I have been doing my best not to cough because that is not a pleasant experience. I get to start the mushie stage tomorrow and I am looking forward to it. I cant wait to start seeing the scales moving down. Good luck and best wishes to everyone else getting their bands this month. Its not always easy but it will be well worth it.

Well its Friday now and i was banded Monday. I am only allowed liquids for 2 weeks after banding then mushies 2 weeks after that.

Waking up this morning and i could tell everything was very tight. I have read in general things are tighter in the morning.

Got some advice to take warm liquids when its really tight and that really helped out this morning! Had chicken broth and i could feel the warm liquid loosen everything up a little.

I walked about a mile last night (not alone!) and that felt good also.

My scares look pretty good, no bruising around them. Itchy but any cut would be itchy at this stage. The little strip band aids are falling off now.

Maybe its because they shaved my whole belly that it itches too.

Going to try and get out for a couple more walks today.

I was banded on 8/7, Tuesday. Surgery was at 9am and also had a hiatal hernia repaired. I had quite a bit of scarring on my stomach from a different surgery, so Dr. had to have 7 incisions. I drank my fluids and went home by 2:30 in the afternoon. Very sore stomach and a little discomfort in my shoulder from the gas, but heating pad works wonders. I went back to my Dr. today for post op appt. All is well. I have a followup appt with the nurse for a possible fill on Sept 14, but Dr. said only if I need a fill. He said they put the new band on me that has a 2cc fill already. Clear Liquids for two weeks then pureed for a week then mushies for a week. liquids are no problem, just need to up my protein... he suggests Isopure (GNC store) until I can eat a Protein Bar. Tried the Isopure today and it is not bad at all. Sure did hate those two weeks pre-op when I had to do those thick shakes. Not hungry at all yet, so making myself do the liquids.

I hope all other August bandings go as easy as mine has.

Hey guys! I was banded on the 7th and I get burpy very easily. How is the burping going with you guys? Also, lower back pain has plagued me! Anyone have either of these going on? I keep telling myself that it is probably gas still left in me????

thanks for the recommendation on the EAS shakes. I will give them a try. How are you doing today? I seem to get better each day, but am afraid to start on pureed foods on Tuesday.

I think you being burpy is from the gas still trying to get out. I do the same, but it seems to slow down if I sip slower.

Hey guys! I was banded on the 7th and I get burpy very easily. How is the burping going with you guys? Also, lower back pain has plagued me! Anyone have either of these going on? I keep telling myself that it is probably gas still left in me????

I am still having some burping also and now and then pass gas. I blame it on the surgery .... and I will use that excuse as long as I can lol. I havent had any lower back or shoulder pains from gas. I started on mushies yesterday and have been doing ok so far. I even tryed a frozen fish fillet, the baked ones not the breaded kind. I was able to eat most of it with tiny bites.

Wow! Saturday now ( banded on Monday) and what a turn around!!!

Felt alot better today. Still a little achey but i think Friday was probably my worst day and today is worlds apart.

Last night went with some friends for dinner and i just got Soup. It was a little thicker than i had hoped but it went down just fine.

For lunch today i had a bowl of Soup with some very soft noodles in it and that went down fine too.

Bad thing is i can slowly feel my appitite starting to return. I am still meant to be on liquids for another week. I think i will make it ok but those old cravings are starting to return a little.

I really like the Dannon Light & fit smoothies too. Just one fills me up pretty good and there only 60 calories. 10g carb and 5g Protein.

Actually moved around and cleaned up my bedroom this morning a little. Also went out for a 20min ride on my motocycle after i had done my walking exercise.

Itchy incessions yesterday but not to bad today.

If you had to push it i would say to anyone at least 1 week before returning to a desk job but i think i am going to take 2 weeks before going back.

After soup my wife asked 'do you feel full?' I told her i dont really know. I think its going to be a different kind of full feeling.

Just go slow everyone.

Well, it has been 4 days since being banded and I'm doing good, felt pretty good today went and walked the mall for about 2hrs, we sat, but the food courts no one had Soup so I sat and watched my son and SIL eat, watching other people doesn't bother me, I mean I would love to chew something is my big thing. I want variety and you don't have much with broth, Jello, Protein drinks. Looking for any good ideas for the second stage of foods if anyone has an idea pureed ya know. Still have lots of rumbling from the gas, can't wait for that to go away. Go back to work on Tuesday, so just going to have to make myself get up and walk because it does feel best. I'm bruised pretty good, not so much the incisions but the heparin shots have bruised me, pretty itchy today, butterfly strips haven't fallen off yet, but getting close. Still sleeping in recliner, tried laying in bed not as comfrontable so we will wait. Well everyone keep up the good work and if any one has good suggestions for pureed food let me know.

Julie

ejbserafin - Good to hear your doing well. Its Sunday , day 6 for me now. It is so much easier today, just keeps getting better. I only feel very slight pain now. Not much at all.

I am surposed to be on liquids and i ate a sugar free Jello pretty quickly last night, big mistake, boy did it get stuck in there. Not super painful but i definately felt the full feeling. It was only a 6oz Jello too!

Its easy to forget i have a band now and when i drink or eat too fast like that i can feel it. I can only imagine what solids must be like getting stuck.

I finally managed to sleep laying in bed last night! Yah! That was so nice and i feel great this morning.