Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Jodi, and I was sleeved Jan 11/16. I'm down 65lbs and feeling great, but I'm finding I'm craving more support from people who understand what I'm going through. Only my parents, my husband and my 2 friends know I had this done, and they are great, but it's hard to talk to them. I kind of feel alone right now. I'm glad I found this group and hopefully will meet some great people!

Please feel free to message me anytime!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Welcome! So far I've only told my parents and I'm on the fence about whether or not to tell two friends I'm doing this, so I'm in the same boat. My parents feel highly ambivalent at best about my upcoming surgery, so I feel weird after talking to them about it because I know it makes them uncomfortable.

Edited by katanne

Hi katanne

I figure it's nobody's business that I had wls. I think the more people I were to tell, the more I'd get judged by them, so I keeping my mouth shut! It's nice to talk to people on here who understand though!

Welcome! I completely understand what you mean about the people closest to you not really getting what you are going through. My husband, parents, siblings, in-laws, and three of my coworkers know about my surgery. None of those people really gets it though. My husband REALLY doesn't get it. My parents are supportive, but I only see them every couple of months. One of my coworkers is very engaged and talks a lot about it with me, which is nice. One of my coworkers just doesn't really talk about it at all. And the third was really opposed to it and seems to get pretty angsty whenever I bring it up (he is probably over 400 pounds himself).

It's great to have this site and share my concerns, thoughts, opinions, and experiences with people who really GET it. I hope the site can be as great a resource to you as it's been to me.

Hi,

Welcome! This site has been invaluable to me. I'm 11 days Post op, and I can totally relate to your post.

My husband was and is against the surgery. My sister is super supportive, but as a natuarally thin woman who can eat as much as I did...she doesn't really get the weight issue.

I poured over this site for months before I started to post. I wasn't sure I would be approved, so I didn't want to post. Once I got approved I began to really utilize the support that is available here. It has been so great! I feel like I'm not so alone with this. I also benefit so much from posts that are sometimes 5 years old! I'm so glad people take the time to share...because you never know how helpful that can be for someone you'll never meet.

So, again welcome! Feel free to reach out any time. ????

I'm Jodi, and I was sleeved Jan 11/16. I'm down 65lbs and feeling great, but I'm finding I'm craving more support from people who understand what I'm going through. Only my parents, my husband and my 2 friends know I had this done, and they are great, but it's hard to talk to them. I kind of feel alone right now. I'm glad I found this group and hopefully will meet some great people!

May I ask your starting weight? 65 lbs is great I hope to drop like that too! I have only told my husband and one son I don't want to hear what everyone has to say...sounds like your doing awesome! What are you eating are you still liquid?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using the BariatricPal App

Of course you may ask!

My starting weight was 333.1. I was on my preop diet for 4 weeks (with a few cheats), and I lost 25lbs on that.

After surgery, my initial weight loss was very slow. Which was beyond frustrating. I gained 20lbs of Fluid while in the hospital. After about 3 weeks postop, the weight started coming off more quickly. I've been losing 5 lbs a week since then.

I'm eat pretty much regular food now. I haven't touched a carb since December 2015. I can only eat 3 oz of food at a time, so I'm still eating mostly Protein with a little veggies.

When did you have your surgery ready2dothis16?

Of course you may ask!

My starting weight was 333.1. I was on my preop diet for 4 weeks (with a few cheats), and I lost 25lbs on that.

After surgery, my initial weight loss was very slow. Which was beyond frustrating. I gained 20lbs of Fluid while in the hospital. After about 3 weeks postop, the weight started coming off more quickly. I've been losing 5 lbs a week since then.

I'm eat pretty much regular food now. I haven't touched a carb since December 2015. I can only eat 3 oz of food at a time, so I'm still eating mostly Protein with a little veggies.

When did you have your surgery ready2dothis16?

I haven't yet my surgery is on 4/14/16 I'm so scared and excited at the same time. I just don't want to get my hopes up. I dropped 100 lbs about six years ago then put it all back on and can't seem to get any of it off. I hope to get under 200 by thanksgiving I'm around 250 now.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using the BariatricPal App

I know how you feel. I lost 110lbs doing good ol weight watchers about 9 years ago (and gained it all back within months).

The best advise I can give is, stick to whatever diet you're given to a T. You should have no problem dropping 50lbs in 6 months! I would kill to be in the 100's!!

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Welcome! I'm sure you will find lots of good info here! Just remember to stay connected! For some reason I feel like being connected here holds me accountable in some weird way. Lots of people going through the same thing you are. Good luck on your journey. It sounds like you are off to a great start.

Welcome! I'm sure you will find lots of good info here! Just remember to stay connected! For some reason I feel like being connected here holds me accountable in some weird way. Lots of people going through the same thing you are. Good luck on your journey. It sounds like you are off to a great start.

I feel the same way. I like checking in here daily, because it keeps me accountable and keeps my surgery "top of mind" still. I think it's easy to get sucked back into "normal" life once you are a few months or years out and lose focus.

Jodi...65 lbs that's fabulous! I am less than a week away from surgery and would love to hear your average daily routine. How was your post op experience? Keep up the great job, it's working! ☺

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

Welcome and congratulations on your successes to date!

Hi ttgill, thanks for the message. My routine now is a Protein shake with soy milk for Breakfast. I will probably always do this, it's a good Protein start to the day. Right now I can eat 3oz at a time, so I have 2 meals with 2.5oz protein and 0.5oz veggies. I'm finding this is keeping me full all day. I do exercise about an hour every day, so sometimes I will have a little snack in the evening...like a cheese string or almonds.

My post op experience was fine. I never had any pain in my stomach at all, but I did get pretty gas pains in my left shoulder. That lasted a couple days. I walked and walked and walked around that hospital, and of all the other patients I saw, I was doing the best. I wasn't nauseated and felt good except for the shoulder thing. Everybody else wouldn't get out of bed and they all felt sick and were in pain....so walk as much as you can post op, it really does make a difference! Good luck with everything, and let me know if I can help with any other questions!