Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had the bypass and am now 6 years post op w complications. My new dr is going in and removing the hormone producing part of the stomach along when redoing the cut on my stomach. He explains back when I had it done they cut the stomach different which proved in many patients around the 3 year mark for their stomach to start stretching and taking a new sharp which resulted in weight gain. Since then they perform of differently.

I don't usually get this frustrated but after reading this string now multiple times I really have to say this.

Bypass patients are NOT plagued with malnutrition! It frustrates me when people do not educate themselves enough to understand the malabsorption process. It is intentional, not a side effect. It helps with weight loss.

The reason some people end up malnourished is because they choose to eat the wrong things or they don't take their Vitamins It has absolutely nothing to do with having bypass surgery. You can end up malnourished with any weight loss surgery. As long as you follow the plan and get your blood work done regularly you will not end up malnourished.

The reason I am frustrated by this is because I personally almost went with the wrong surgery because people were telling me that the malabsorption would cause me to be malnourished! It took 2 different doctors to help me understand that this is a false statement. I suffered from severe Gerd and would have chosen the wrong surgery had I not educated myself on these procedures.

All I am asking is that you understand the advice you are giving and speak from your experience not from what you might believe to be true.

To the OP, I wish you the best of luck and the best thing you can do for yourself is to leverage your medical team to guide you given your medical condition.

Rant over......

I am also confused on a point stated as fact in this thread. The sleeve is not step one to bypass, but to DS. Isn't it true that with bypass they staple off but leave in place the stomach. That is what makes the bypass reversable but not the sleeve.

I think they are both good procedures I would just like clearer facts stated too. Perhaps a bypass patient can clarify, don't they leave in the stomach in its entirety, just staple it off from usage?

I have no idea why surgeons don't do a better job at steering people to a good choice based on their circumstances. They are both good and I am grateful we have both to choose from

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using the BariatricPal App

I am also confused on a point stated as fact in this thread. The sleeve is not step one to bypass, but to DS. Isn't it true that with bypass they staple off but leave in place the stomach. That is what makes the bypass reversable but not the sleeve.

I think they are both good procedures I would just like clearer facts stated too. Perhaps a bypass patient can clarify, don't they leave in the stomach in its entirety, just staple it off from usage?

I have no idea why surgeons don't do a better job at steering people to a good choice based on their circumstances. They are both good and I am grateful we have both to choose from

I could have more clearly stated that the DS was developed as a two step process for people who needed to lose weight before they could safely undergo bypass but because the first part (sleeve) was so successful they started using it as a standalone.

My understanding is that the DS is a variation on the bypass.

I am a layman so the final word on all of this should come from your surgeon

I don't usually get this frustrated but after reading this string now multiple times I really have to say this.

Bypass patients are NOT plagued with malnutrition! It frustrates me when people do not educate themselves enough to understand the malabsorption process. It is intentional, not a side effect. It helps with weight loss.

The reason some people end up malnourished is because they choose to eat the wrong things or they don't take their Vitamins It has absolutely nothing to do with having bypass surgery. You can end up malnourished with any weight loss surgery. As long as you follow the plan and get your blood work done regularly you will not end up malnourished.

The reason I am frustrated by this is because I personally almost went with the wrong surgery because people were telling me that the malabsorption would cause me to be malnourished! It took 2 different doctors to help me understand that this is a false statement. I suffered from severe Gerd and would have chosen the wrong surgery had I not educated myself on these procedures.

All I am asking is that you understand the advice you are giving and speak from your experience not from what you might believe to be true.

To the OP, I wish you the best of luck and the best thing you can do for yourself is to leverage your medical team to guide you given your medical condition.

Rant over......

I don't know which comment/comments you're responding to...but since I'm the one who started with the Vitamin thing, I will say that I did not say that malabsorption is the same as malnourished. From all the stuff I've read...and I'm currently even reading a book on bariatric procedures...gastric bypass patients need to take more Vitamins and possibly higher doses of medication. Some of the people on here have said that they didn't have to... so I'm assuming it's a case by case thing and depending on the medication and other factors. Surely if your body is bypassing some of the things you eat so that you can bypass calories, it's also bypassing some of the other good things you put in your body. I wasn't pointing this out as something that should deter one from having a gastric bypass.... although for some, it's enough as a pervious poster said. If someone is serious about getting a gastric bypass and does their research as they should, they will also learn that there are ways around these things if they are willing... so that you don't become malnourished. There's a difference between saying chances of becoming malnourished is slightly higher with this procedure than another...and saying that it will for sure happen, which is not true.

And before someone says that Sleevers also need to take vitamins... yes, I know. The reason sleevers have to take vitamins and gastric bypass patients have to take vitamins, and heck... the rest of the population should take vitamins are all slightly different...at the end of the day each person has to decide what they are comfortable with.

Edited by QueenLoser

"He subsequently developed the technique of staging the intestinal bypass procedure by performing the laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy first as an initial stage.8 From 2001 to 2003, seven patients with a BMI of 58 to 71kg/m[2] underwent a first stage sleeve gastrectomy with a subsequent Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. The average EWL was 37kg (33%EWL) and this allowed for a safer second stage. These preliminary results quickly popularized the procedure as a safer laparoscopic option for the higher BMI group."

I've done all the researcher. I didn't mean for this to turn into an argument. What I want is actual stories of WHY YOU choose your particular surgery. Or choosing the one you're having. It's a completely personal decision. One is not better. It's a matter of what is best for you. And I am merely wanting to know what led you to choose your surgery. I've researched for years, I know the statistics but what I don't know is personal stories as to why. Did you talk to somebody? Did something stand out? Did you read something that made the choice easier? I appreciate all your input but I think it's gonna a little off topic. And I would like to get back to personal testimony and not so much at pointing fingers because someone has interpreted something. You all are amazing. And have been so helpful. If anyone wants to add why they choose the surgery they did I would love to hear it. Thanks!!

I was a size 20 and am now a 4. I had always been big too! You CAN do this with the aid of this incredible tool! Go you!

Oh my goodness, a size 2? I can't even imagine.....

I chose RNY Gastric by-pass because of the number of years it has been around, obviously more is known about it as it is the "gold standard". The second reason was when my doctor discussed the percentages of weight loss of the lap-band, sleeve, and gastric bypass, i knew I only had one shot, and wanted the best possible outcome. I have never had a problem, I went back to work in 5 days (desk job) and never needed a pain pill. Whatever you choose will be great, don't stress about it and commit yourself to following the rules and you will be fine whatever you choose!

@@CowgirlJane

You are correct. With bypass they do not remove the remainder of your stomach. I was also told that The larger portion of the stomach actually performs a function with digestion in the small intestine. There are digestive juices in that part of the old stomach. As food makes its way into the small intestine, the digestive juices in the old stomach mix with that food and it AIDS digestion.

Bypass can be reversed if medically necessary.

That is my understanding of how it works.

Thanks @djmohr. I just think it is confusing when things are blended.

I Googled this to confirm my understanding. DS and bypass are NOT the same procedure. There are other differences but what is left of the stomach is one of the keys. Call it a pro, call it a con, either way bypass is normally done by stapling off part of the stomach where the DS stage 1 is essentially a larger sleeve.

It is understandable that people feel passionate for their own choice, but truthfully most of us only have knowledge of our own surgeries. Our emotional state and feelings about it tend to depend on our results. We notice what we want to . The bypass person notices that many people are revising to bypass, since it is inevitable, why not start there? Incredulously, in years past many new sleevers would announce that everyone with bypass regains but that won't happen since the hunger hormones are gone.

It is alot of generalization going on here. Most of us know bypass patients who have regained, heck I have known 1 that died. ... but that is because over the decades there have been way more bypass patients! Same as not all sleeves need to revise...there are many who are doing fine over the longer haul.

I have an aqaintance that I was shocked to find had bypass 8-10 years ago as she eats full restaurant meals and is quite overweight. Clearly, regain is possible with either.

I still say they are both good procedbures - be educated on the pros and cons as well as relative risks of side effects and make the decision as to what feels right to you.

I am happy with sleeve, if I hadn't gotten to goal I would have probably gone for DS. If i have regain I can't manage down the road, I will see what makes the most sense at the time. I am 4 years post sleeve and doing great so far.

I had the bypass done for several reasons. The biggest one was for the diabetes. Bypass is the only surgical procedure that can be considered a cure for diabetes versus a control. Secondly the acid reflux which was a huge problem for me and it's now gone. Third it has a better long term success rate than the sleeve. There were many people in my classes getting revisions on their sleeves which kind of turned me off. Good luck which ever way you go!

I chose the sleeve because it seemed to be safer/ less severe on your body with a shorter recovery and very effective. I did not even have to stay overnight in the hospital and have done great. I am 4 months out and have lost 60 pounds. I don't have any problems digesting anything (not even raw veggies) and my Dr personally favored the sleeve for me. Good luck. I would never turn back. This has been amazing !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the bypass procedure they also do something with the nerves that make you hungry, but I do not know the specifics. I did not have an actual hunger feeling for over eight weeks after having the bypass. I am almost nine months post op and have lost 99 pounds. As for the absorption rate, I take one multi Vitamin and Calcium on a daily basis and that is it. People make it sound like it is so terrible and you are going to have to take 15+ pills for the rest of your life. No matter which procedure you will have to take a Vitamin and Calcium and the bypass has a higher success rate. Best of luck to you.

They do something that MAKES YOU HUNGRY???? REALLY???

No, it makes you not hungry!

Edited by Spiceyfrog

Hi I had the sleeve in 2013 I lost 90 pounds a year in to the surgery we found a leak in and out of the hospital on tpn for weeks .. and the leak would not seal finally I had the bypass in February my weight is 125 I'm doing good but I have a feeding tub I'm nervous about getting to thin . I hope this will be the end of so much pain . Some times the sleeve is not the best choice because of possible leaks .