Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know this is discussed all the time but I want some input. And I get it's personal up to me and all that stuff. Here is my thing, I will have ONE chance at this. Due to a heart condition I was born with it's a miracle I am even being approved to get it done, and found a surgeon who will do the surgery. I am thinking I want the bypass because it seems to have a little better success rate, but with the sleeve they take part of the stomach and the hormone (supposedly?) that controls hunger. So after the bypass are you still hungry? I can't exercise a lot because of my heart, and by that I mean not a lot of cardio. I do go to the gym everyday and do circuit training with breaks, and when I am motivated I go twice a day....I just can't do tons of cardio and take breaks. So any input would be great!

Thanks!!

Stacy

I was set in doing the bypass for a long time and then I decided to change it to the sleeve for a few reasons. The number one reason is that after some thought I decided that it was not a good idea to create a condition that would mean that my body cannot absorb all the things I put in my body. With the sleeve you can't eat as much, but at least what you eat is what you eat and all the nutrients and Vitamins you put in your body will be received and not bypassed. Since you have a medical condition already....and I'm assuming you take meds or might have to in the future....your body will have trouble absorbing all of your dosage which means that you will need higher dosages for everything. I personally don't like the idea of having to take higher dosages of any medications that I might have to take in the future. Also the bypass is way more invasive and requires rewiring your stomach. I thought I was going to be okay with that, but with much thought I decided that I really wasn't. Bypass also has more complications and it seems to me, that the side effects are worse than the sleeve. Since you're losing weight at an even faster lost than the sleeve...it means more hair loss, more loose skin, and dumping syndrome seems to be worse (although some people think of it as a pro). I would suggest watching youtube videos with people who've done both the sleeve and bypass, and do as much research as possible. I have nothing against the bypass as an option and I'm sure it's a better option for some people, but since you have a heart condition you might consider doing the procedure with fewer complications. Also ask your doctor what she thinks. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

The bypass is the golden standard for weight loss procedures. There are many people who get revised from sleeve to bypass. I take medications, and never needed a higher dose of anything.

As far as I can tell the lack of absorption means that, no you won't absorb everything you put into your mouth, so you won't get those calories either. Which is a good thing if you're trying to lose weight and maintain for the rest of your life.

Both surgeries you have to take Vitamins daily.

I, too, was concerned about hunger. Before surgery I was worried that I'd be hungry still, well no - not for weeks and months. I am 2 months out and my hunger is returning, BUT a tiny meal and I'm stuffed for hours. Lol. I am able to feel very satisfied all day long on about 400-500 calories a day. However, Head hunger (cravings) won't be going away with either surgery.

Also, the complication rate is less than 1% with the bypass. Higher than the sleeve? Sure, but still it's very unlikely.

I've gone from 237 hw to now 189 in 2 months.

Good luck to you on whichever surgery you decide.

Edited by cookarue

I agree with cookarue! And because you only have only one shot, why wouldn't you go with the one with the most success? Not a sermon, just a thought! Btw - I reached my goal today 111 lbs in 16 months!

I am 34 months post-op RNY surgery. I choose this approach over sleeve because I had severe acid reflux (GERD) prior to surgery and that is the recommended approach for that condition. Also I choose it due to the low rate of revisions. If I underwent the knife once, I do not want to repeat it again.

After surgery, I completely lost my hunger. It was not difficult to lose weight when hunger is not constantly continuously gnawing at your bonds. The hunger returns after a year or two, but it does not have the same intensity as before surgery.

I had several conditions prior to surgery and took many prescription drugs prior to surgery. Most of these conditions went into remission shortly after surgery and have remained there. So even though I have to take Vitamins, it is offset by the fact that I am no longer taking these prescription drugs.

As far as exercise, one of the best exercises after surgery is walking. So if you can walk for around 30 minutes each day, you should do fine.

As far as choosing between RNY gastric bypass and sleeve, I would place a lot of weight on what your surgeon recommends.

I originally planned to have sleeve surgery and ended up going the route of bypass for two reasons. I had severe reflux and learned that bypass would cure it and it did. Secondly I wanted to have 1 surgery and be done with it. Given bypass is the gold standard and has years of data behind it I decided to go for it.

I am very thankful that I did as it cured so many comorbitities in the process. I don't have any side effects. I take Vitamins every day (4 of them) instead of taking numerous prescriptions for all my comorbitities. By the way, sleeves take the same Vitamins.< /p>

The malabsorption factor actually helps you to lose the weight, it is not a side effect. It is very effective and my prescription strengths went down not up as a previous posted called out.

Both surgeries are equally as invasive. The sleeve removes 90% of your stomach which means it is not reversible where the bypass is.

hair loss can happen with both surgeries, some people have this issue and some do not regardless of the surgery you choose. I lost a lot of hair but it came back, all of it. Loose skin happens with massive weight loss regardless of how you lose your weight. This is not caused by the type of surgery you choose.

I am now 17 months post op. Down 143+lbs, 1 lb from goal. I fit into a size 8 jeans from a size 24/26.

I have never dumped and it only happens to a small percentage of people.

Yes my hunger came back but it is not the same and when I do get hungry a few bites and I am full. I am a good cook and if I taste my food too much while cooking I will get full before I even get to dinner.

Bypass is the best thing that ever happened to me. I thank god every day for the doctors and nurses and dietitians that work in this field. Without them this wouldn't be possible.

Oh by the way, I have not been able to exercise for nearly a year now do to issues with my spine. The best I can do is small walks. I control my weight with mostly my diet. Because I have had bypass this is totally possible.

Again...I would like to say that I have nothing against the gastric bypass and I'm sure it's better for some. I will however once again say... do as much research as possible. ...the sleeve has become so popular and

Is as successful that many are calling it the new golden standard. Also, I never said that you don't have to take Vitamins on sleeve....but you have to take more on gastric. One other factor is weight....from what I understand, bypass is highly recommended for people who are morbidly obese.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

I had RNY bypass in 2003. I believe it's better than the sleeve. Hunger; never was an issue except for what I want to eat; not that I felt hungry. Vitamins; never a problem. hair loss; just having surgery will do that; and it grows back. No regrets here and glad the sleeve wasn't popular back then. I don't see the benefit of the sleeve over bypass. And look how man sleeves are revised, especially in your BMI range. Good luck with however you go!

Thanks for all the replies. Great info! And Congrats to those of you who are at goal, and almost there! I am a size 20, I can't even imagine being a 12/14...so size 8 just sounds crazy! LOL My highest size was a 26/28

Thanks for all the replies. Great info! And Congrats to those of you who are at goal, and almost there! I am a size 20, I can't even imagine being a 12/14...so size 8 just sounds crazy! LOL My highest size was a 26/28

You're welcome! I'm working towards goal. I started at a size 20 (tight) and I just got a 14! My bypass was 12/29. Can't wait to be a size 8 either lol.

You're welcome! I'm working towards goal. I started at a size 20 (tight) and I just got a 14! My bypass was 12/29. Can't wait to be a size 8 either lol.

I can't even imagine...I have always been the "big" girl. So thinking I may someday be in the normal clothes range and sharing with friends, blows my mind. Congrats!

With the bypass procedure they also do something with the nerves that make you hungry, but I do not know the specifics. I did not have an actual hunger feeling for over eight weeks after having the bypass. I am almost nine months post op and have lost 99 pounds. As for the absorption rate, I take one multi Vitamin and Calcium on a daily basis and that is it. People make it sound like it is so terrible and you are going to have to take 15+ pills for the rest of your life. No matter which procedure you will have to take a Vitamin and Calcium and the bypass has a higher success rate. Best of luck to you.

With the bypass procedure they also do something with the nerves that make you hungry, but I do not know the specifics. I did not have an actual hunger feeling for over eight weeks after having the bypass. I am almost nine months post op and have lost 99 pounds. As for the absorption rate, I take one multi Vitamin and Calcium on a daily basis and that is it. People make it sound like it is so terrible and you are going to have to take 15+ pills for the rest of your life. No matter which procedure you will have to take a Vitamin and calcium and the bypass has a higher success rate. Best of luck to you.

They do something that MAKES YOU HUNGRY???? REALLY???

The original question had to do with which surgery is better, but the OP didn't want to hear the typical... "the choice is yours, it's personal, and up to you" which is btw, the correct answer. Regardless of what a previous poster said...there's really not a right-size-fits- all answer. So I proceeded to explain why I've chosen the sleeve for April for myself. My choices are based on my research...and I've done a lot, speaking with my doctor, hearing stories from different support groups, watching tons of youtube videos of both gastric bypass and sleevers, and most importantly taking into account my personality, my beliefs, strengths and weaknesses. My surgery is in April and I continue to do research every day.

I think the gastric bypass is a great procedure, but I finally chose the sleeve due to the reasons I listed above which I'm standing by. Yes with the sleeve you lose hair, with the sleeve you have to take Vitamins, with the sleeve you have loose skin, some people even experience dumping syndrom, and some people have complications like with any other surgery. And yes, some people don't lose hair due to genetics...some don't even get loose skin due to genetics...and so on. You'll find all kinds of stories out there. However, all these things are greater with the bypass because you are losing weight a lot quicker... how much that matters to you is really up to you. I'm not saying it should be that important... I'm saying if you're making a pros and cons list for both surgeries...these are things that you should consider. Also... FYI...even though you initially lose more weight with the gastric bypass...it's been found that in the 2 year mark that sleevers end up losing just as much. Gastric bypass people lose majority of their weight during the first year, while sleevers keep losing a good amount of weight during their second year. From listening to other people's stories, it seems to me with eating right that sleevers can loose just as much weight. The most important thing to remember is that both the sleeve and the gastric bypass is a tool and not some magic cure for all your weight problems. There is some work and discipline involved for reaching and maintaining your goal.

Gastric has it's advantages... people here have already listed them and I agree with them. In fact, I was leaning towards Gastric for a long time because I have a sweet tooth and the gastric is supposed to be better for that due to dumping syndrome which makes it more difficult to process sugar and bad fats.

At the end of the day... just make sure you're making your own decision based on your own opinions, what you need, and the research that you've done. If you have a good primary care doctor that supports you, get her opinion as well. Be sure to get as many input from all sides of the spectrum. I learn something new every day.

Edited by QueenLoser

@@QueenLoser Thank you for your honest input. All of my doctors say "they are not sure" mostly because of my heart condition and the future is unknown, most agree on that I do need the surgery to avoid a heart transplant. And I am leaning towards the gastric because I LOVE sweets, and also it is some what reversible if for some reason with my heart it needed to be reversed. (God Forbid) I really am looking for exactly what you gave me, why you choose one or the other and personal stories as to why one was chosen over the other. I am the "exception" to every rule and really the doctors are unsure as to which one to choose. I have kaiser and go through 8 weeks of classes, and they are having to send me outside of kaiser to even have a Dr, and hospital that is capable of doing the surgery. I will talk with him more also, once I finish the classes. Thank you for your input.