Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to here, questions, my journey!

Hello wonderful people I am new to this subscribing feed or to the forum practice in general! I found this app as I have started my bariatric surgery process. I am currently waiting for insurance approval and then I will meet with the dr. at Suncoast bariatrics here in Florida to go over everything and plan my surgery date. When I first went there after year or so of research I swore that I wanted the lap band but after seeing this forum and many issues with the lap band including sleeve revisions I have started doubting myself. Is there anybody who is had good luck with the lap band or bad luck with the lap band and ended up getting the sleeve. I'm 26 years old and 300 pounds I have tried losing weight since I had my daughter eight years ago (where I gained 120 pounds) and have been unable to keep the weight off once I do lose some... I only want to have surgery once so I am very nervous and concerned and hope people have advice or information to share. Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Never had experience with the lapband, but not many docs here in Southern California are not even doing them any longer due to the complication rate. I am not trying to discourage you, you need to get what you feel and your surgeon feels works best, but that has been the experience here. I know my surgeon no longer does them. I will be 7 months from the sleeve this week, and down 84 lbs and very grateful for it, good luck all the best whatever you decide.

My surgeon wouldn't do a lap band on me (not that I wanted one, but it came up at our initial consult). He's seen too many complications and too many people who never reach their goal weight and/or end up needing a second weight loss surgery. Now he only performs them on people with a BMI under 40 and only if people are absolutely adamant that they will not consider any other surgery.

Hello wonderful people I am new to this subscribing feed or to the forum practice in general! I found this app as I have started my bariatric surgery process. I am currently waiting for insurance approval and then I will meet with the dr. at Suncoast bariatrics here in Florida to go over everything and plan my surgery date. When I first went there after year or so of research I swore that I wanted the lap band but after seeing this forum and many issues with the lap band including sleeve revisions I have started doubting myself. Is there anybody who is had good luck with the lap band or bad luck with the lap band and ended up getting the sleeve. I'm 26 years old and 300 pounds I have tried losing weight since I had my daughter eight years ago (where I gained 120 pounds) and have been unable to keep the weight off once I do lose some... I only want to have surgery once so I am very nervous and concerned and hope people have advice or information to share. Thanks so much!

I was sleeved in April 2015 and didn't even consider a lap band.

My cousin had a lapband and was really happy with her results, but when I asked her about it she said that if she did it today she would choose the sleeve.

I don't think my surgeon even does the lapband anymore.

Gosh everyone! Thanks for the responses so far. My BMI is over 40 so I really obviously want this to work and am terrified of surgery so this is a one time type thing for me after years of trying other measures! So interesting to hear this, and really makes me start to rethink! Thanks again!

I guess my biggest fear and my initial want to go with the lap band was fear of complications and issues arising with it. Once I get down to my goal weight and I'm healthier I would like to try to get pregnant and just worry about what type of affects my weight-loss surgery can have on possible future pregnancies. So I thought maybe the lap band was the safest bet but if it's not going to work it doesn't make sense to do it

I had the LapBand in 2004 and did very well. I lost 95 lbs and then 2 years ago problems started happening. I was either too tight or too loose. It's takes maintenance to get to that sweet spot with the band. This year it really started getting bad. I couldn't keep food down. So my surgeon said its time to get it out. I did the sleeve SIPS procedure and so far it's going pretty good. Ultimately it's your choice. Good luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using BariatricPal

Pregnancy is perfectly safe after gastric sleeve. Pregnancy only requires an extra 300 calories per day to nourish a healthy, growing fetus, and after the first 6 months getting in an extra 300 calories is nothing. Make a Protein Shake with whole milk and a banana and you're there.

What's dangerous for both a mother and baby is pregnancy while obese. If pregnancy were an issue for me, I'd be looking for the surgery that I knew would help me not be obese and stay not obese. Of course all of this is really just fodder for talk with your surgeon about the best choice for you. Good luck!

I never really considered the lap band. My only debate was between the sleeve or the rny. Good luck on your journey!

Thanks everyone! I'm currently waiting on my medically necessary letter from my primary. Then I'll meet with the MD but after a lot of reading I think I'm leaning sleeve.

I started my journey 14 months ago convinced that I wanted the band. In the meantime I had to wait 12 months for my Health Cover to kick in and used that time to research, research, research. I am now scheduled for the sleeve on May 16. What put me off ultimately was the regular appointments to ensure the band was just so. I'd heard of so many people having problems down the line that it became a no-brainer for me.