Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much how fast did you loose after bypass?

Ok......Id like to figure out about how much Ill loose after my bypass thats comming up soon. Can you all share how tall you are, starting weight, and how many lbs you've dropped the first few months??

We don't usually like to answer this question. Everyone loses at their own pace. We are all at different levels of physical capabilities . I think safely I can say 1-2 lbs a week. More in the beginning but as your body adjust so will the rapid wt lost. As for me at 6 months l lost 56 lbs. but I am a revision from a band. We lose a bit slower and due to a bad shoulder, wrist and both knees I keep active but can't do repetitive things. So see a lot of factors will determine your wt lost.

I second @@terrydumont46 - my roommate the day of surgery was a good 100 pounds less than me and she's lost almost as much as I have. I've lost significantly more than some people who were the same or heavier than me. There's really no way to guess, unfortunately. Also, if your bmi is what it says in your info, you're not super heavy to begin with so it's certainly possible it will come off a LOT slower than most other people, but don't let that discourage you. :)

5'2" starting was 237

Day of surgery 223

7 weeks (in two days) 195ish

Surgery 12/29/15

Average about 4lbs a week...

Edited by cookarue

No two patients will ever be the same nor will their body chemistry. The general rule is the bigger you are the more/faster you will lose in the first year.

There is no magical number. However, don't fixate on the numbers. Focus on the plan set forth by your surgical team. As long as you stick to the plan you're doing exactly as you need to be.

My numbers are in my ticker just to give you an idea of my loss.

Agree with terrydumont46 above...there is no absolute answer, because everyone is different. Your loss will depend on how well you stick to your prescribed plan you work out with your surgeon and nutritionist and how you recover from surgery. Age, starting weight and height may also have to be considered along with your current health. Not everyone loses weight rapidly, some lose slowly while some lose it at an amazing pace. Key is to remember the old saying " it's a marathon, not a sprint". You're going to have great periods where the weight seems to be dropping off way faster than expected (most likely your first few months) and then experience some slower periods and even stalls as you adjust to a new lifestyle.

To answer your questions:

I'm a little over six months out from RNY in mid August 2015.

I'm 6'2" tall and just turned 50.

I started the day of surgery at 331lbs, by the first month I was down more than 30lbs.

In the first two-three months I had to completely replace all of my clothing, none of it fit anymore.

This morning I was at 222lbs and still losing.

I've been a lot more active since surgery and that always help you lose faster.

There's also no doubt that without sticking to a high Protein diet, drinking plenty of Water and eating healthy foods, I would not be anywhere close to my loses today. Keep that in mind as you prepare for life after surgery.

Best of luck

I have to agree with everyone...there are many factors in weight loss. I have been very lucky. I had surgery 11/06/2015. I am 5'8". My heaviest weight was 278. I lost about 20 lbs on my own during my six month supervised diet and about 12 lbs on my liver shrink prep diet. Day of surgery I was like 245. I am currently at 185. My goal weight is 165 so I am very close. I am a teacher so I am on my feet all

I have to agree with everyone...there are many factors in weight loss. I have been very lucky. I had surgery 11/06/2015. I am 5'8". My heaviest weight was 278. I lost about 20 lbs on my own during my six month supervised diet and about 12 lbs on my liver shrink prep diet. Day of surgery I was like 245. I am currently at 185. My goal weight is 165 so I am very close. I am a teacher so I am on my feet all

How long were you out? I'm a teacher too.... I have my surgery March 22 and then we have Easter break... So I have 13 planned days off.... Fortunately only 3 of them are my personal days... Should I plan for more days off?

How long were you out? I'm a teacher too.... I have my surgery March 22 and then we have Easter break... So I have 13 planned days off.... Fortunately only 3 of them are my personal days... Should I plan for more days off?

This is another thing dependent on many factors. Primarily...you. Barring any surgical complications many report being back to work in 2 wks or less.

I am five months and 9 days post-op. I have lost 85 pounds, five pant sizes, 4 top sizes and five dress sizes.

I started at 5'2 289 pounds. I am anticipated being in onderland soon! Hopefully by the time I head out on my cruise next month!

I am 5'5". I am almost exactly three months out from surgery. For months one and two I lost 20 pounds each month. So far this month I have lost 14.5, but I have until Thursday!

That being said, please don't plan on or compare yourself to anyone else. You will lose, but comparisons and time specific "goals" will only be frustrating. For example, I thought I was doing so great with my losses (and still do!) and then last month at my WLS Support group meeting I sat next to a woman who had surgery a week after me and where I had lost 40 lbs with one extra week, she had lost 57 lbs.! At first I was a bit upset and then I reminded myself that she had been sick and unable to eat much of anything after surgery where I recovered quickly with no complications. I wouldn't want to have lost more if it meant having a harder recovery than I did. Not that everyone who loses larger amounts was sick. There are just so many variables. I think that if you are following the plan and getting exercise as best you can for the stage you are at post-op and increasing exercise as you can to improve your overall health, the weight is going to come off. Just do everything you can on your end to encourage it and you will get to where you are meant to be, but you will be healthier no matter what weight that is. B):D

Best of luck to you with your surgery,

pam

Tglastchance, I took 3 weeks off but when I went back I struggled a lot for about 3 more weeks. I went home early at least 4 or 5 times during those weeks. It really varies from person to person though.

Thelastchance, I'm a critical care nurse. I went back at 3 weeks post op...on my feet all the time, lots of moving about and lifting. I did fine. I did wear an abdominal binder for the first couple of weeks though. It helped a lot

Edited by samcl1

5'3"

Pre preop diet = 229

Day of surgery = 220

Two months post op = 184 (-45 total)

Today - eight months post op = 133 (-96 total)

Best of luck to you!

Edited by Spiceyfrog