Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Unsuccessful Sleeve

Hi everyone :)

Just thought I'd share my VSG story with you all. Though my story is not as positive as most other posts are, I will say right now that I don't want anyone to use this as a reason to not get the surgery done. If anything, use my story to better your story.

I've STRUGGLED with my weight all. my. life. On top of that dealing with asthma, allergies, PCOS, Metabolic Syndrome, fluctuating thyroid levels, diagnosed with type 2 diabetes (which took them a shocking while to determine whether I was type 1 or 2) by the age of 14. I've been seeing doctors regarding weight issues and trying to avoid it since I was around 7/8 years old. So literally this has all been my life, trying to avoid it and working so hard at the tender ages. By the age of 18, I absolutely could not take it any longer. I was tired in every way and form. Discouraged was an understatement at that point, I literally gave it my ALL and NOTHING worked. I dealt with more than you could possibly imagine in 18 years than some do in a lifetime.

Cutting to the chase a bit - a close friend of my parents was also dealing with weight issues and so was her daughter. They both had the lap band done and they looked PHENOMENAL.Then more individuals related to them had the surgery with the same amazing results. As extremely happy as I was for them knowing the struggle, it also made me so jealous wishing something great like that could happen for me. She then helped me out and talked to my mom about it and then had her surgeon meet with my mom and I to talk to us. After meeting with a LARGE sum of doctors within my 18 years, this was the first time I met with a doctor and I didn't feel like everything was my fault, like I just have to keep trying and just hope for the best, like I didn't care about myself and was probably just a lazy kid. First time I felt like a doctor truly felt my struggle. The doctors main concern was living with the diabetes, they wanted that to be resolved more than anything - and so did I, because living with diabetes was a nightmare for me (that's a whole other story by itself). We later came to the conclusion that the Gastric Sleeve surgery was the best option for me and I totally agreed. My excitement was out of this world!

I met with the doctor in May, had my surgery on July, 12, 2013. So, now looking back, you can say it was a fairly rushed process. But I guess at the time I didn't see it as that because I just wanted to have the surgery done! Had the blood work done that the doctor needed, did the pre op diet (which I barely lost much weight with), had my surgery done. Supposedly everything went well during it. Had A LOT of stomach aches and pains but everything was fine, did experience hunger pains which was strange. Cutting the to the point again, by the 2nd or 3rd day post op, my sugars were normal! I could neverrrr describe that unreal feeling! By the fifth day I believe I had dropped 10 lbs!! By a week 15 lbs - but, that was it....

Yes, you read that correctly. This coming July will mark 3 years post op, and I am still fluctuating around that. 3 years...
I've been told about plateaus but it is clearly something much more than that.
Almost 3 years and I am now a diabetic, again.. Nothing seems to help me lose weight, and the weird feeling now is that I feel hungry almost all the time. To be honest, I was and am not one of the sleevers who tried to force themselves to eat more than they could or got sad that they couldn't eat as much as before - those things made me soo happy. But that feeling of satiety was something I rarely ever experienced throughout these 2 almost 3 years. For sure I would take 2/3 bites and feel full but that only lasted half an hour to an hour. I can't ever remember eating what is a normal amount to a sleever and having the full feeling remain for a few hours until another meal time, and I was dying the experience that feeling and I still am.
I went into the surgery as everyone should know "this is not going to work by it is just a tool to help you", and yes I did understand that and yes as I'm sure every person would had/ will have a WLS feels deep down somewhere is that euphoria feeling of this will be your fix.
Could there have been times where I could've/should've put more work in - for sure as I'm sure that's the same with everyone.
I was tired and done by the age of 18, almost 21 now I don't even know what to call the state I'm in.

If ANYONE has any type or form of advice, or experiences like this, please do share it with me if you are comfortable to do so. I've been doing a lot of new research recently and came across some people with the same issue and it appears as though not enough of the stomach was removed which results in losing some weight at first then no more at all afterwards. This then lead to a Revision Sleeve surgery (basically re-sleeving the sleeve)...is anyone familiar with this/has anyone experienced this?
Super proud of everyone who is losing weight and have successful stories, keep going you got this! To anyone who has lost a fair amount of weight but is maybe feeling annoyed or anger because their weight loss has slowed down or anything that that, remind yourself that you've still lost and at least you are not in my boat :P Be grateful!

Best regards <3

P.S. sorry that this is kinda of scattered and trust me when I say this story in MUCH more in depth in many areas, but I shall leave it at this, for now.

I'm curious if, since the lead up to your surgery was so rushed, perhaps you weren't educated or fully informed about what you needed to do post-op nutritionally? It sounds like you started grazing early on, because you would only feel "full" for an hour at a time and grazing is definitely one way to eat around the restriction of the sleeve. What KINDS of things were you eating? That's just as important as how much you are eating. Were they high Protein foods that should have helped you feel full longer or were they high carb/high sugar slider foods? Also, you describe always being hungry. Were you on any sort of acid blocker? It is very common for sleeve patients to produce excess stomach acid, which can mimic hunger.

@@JamieLogical Is on the money IMO.

I'm curious if, since the lead up to your surgery was so rushed, perhaps you weren't educated or fully informed about what you needed to do post-op nutritionally? It sounds like you started grazing early on,

What about daily exercise?

http://www.zmescience.com/medicine/burned-calories-when-lazy-064346/

We don't burn too many calories laying down, watching TV, sitting typing etc. v/s walking & even just standing.

Body & weight reflects what one puts in their mouth v/s what gets used up in daily energy expended.

Edit is:

Oh I did miss part of the OP's post about 'not enough stomach removed'.

Good instruction from both nutritionist & doctor should have told her like they did me & others that if one doesn't keep their mouth shut the new pouch will grow back/stretch to it's original size or bigger then you're on a slippery down slope.

Edited by rastus

God bless. I would not know where to start, but I know you need good doctors. So sorry for what you have gone through.

Did you track your food? If not, you're just guessing at how to improve. Until you do this, nothing else matters. Track Your Food!

You should also go to a therapist, to rule out or to help with any psychological eating issues. Even if you've been before, It's probably a good idea to go again.

Once you've figured out what caused the sleeve to fail, and only then, should you think about another surgery. It sounds to me like you should think about gastric bypass. It's more fool-proof than the sleeve.

I agree with careya123, therapy is a must! My program we were required to be screened prior to surgery a d for you to go through this at a young age from psychological stand point, most 18 year olds don't have a lot of self- awareness.

I also experienced hunger early on into surgery,but with the support system I have we figured out I was not getting enough Protein causing my hunger. So I increased my protein/shakes, it helped and my life has changed immediately.

For solving your problem now, I would see a surgeon who is apart of an accredited program. They will know where to go from there. I know the program I am in is highly rated. Once discussing options I would then see a nutritionist who deals solely with Bariatric nutrition. They are the best suited to help.

I am so sorry you have not had the results hoped for, don't give up! Your life can still change. Feel free to message me if you ever need to talk or support.

I am so sorry you have had such a difficult time. I am curious to know why you have waited so long to seek help? It sounds to me you were relying on the sleeve to do all the work for you.

As other's have suggested, I would recommend you find a good therapist and make an appointment with your NUT and your surgeon's office to talk about your goals.

In the meantime, why not go back to basics?

Follow your program. Pull out your written program materials and re-read everything.

Track, weigh, and measure your food.

Eat Protein first.

Practice eating mindfully. Eat slowly, take small bites, and chew thoroughly.

Avoid starches and added sugars.

Strive to reach or exceed your Protein target daily. (What is your protein target? Since you are able to eat just about anything, there is no physical reason you can't get enough protein daily.)

Reach or exceed your Fluid target (at least 64 oz) daily.

Take your Vitamins and supplements as instructed.

Exercise.

In addition, look for and attend a bariatric support group meeting. You might also want to see if you can find a support group (like OA).

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

I'm 5 months post op and lost only 22 pounds , first 3 months 20 pounds and then a 2 month stall then 2 pounds now on a stall again, I take all my Vitamins, track my food, meet all of my Water and Protein goals , and exercise, meanwhile only thing my Nut is saying is good job and embrace the stall, my surgeon is now a jerk since I'm not loosing weight, I don't know what else to do it's frustrating especially when everyone around you is losing weight and you're not

I had my sleeve surgery in 6/11, then immediately ignored it. It has only been since 01/18/2016 that I finally got my head on straight and have decided to acknowledge my sleeve.

I first made an appointment with my original surgeon about the viability of my sleeve. He sent my back to my nutritionist, who recommended that I restart at the first week of solid foods as if I had just had my surgery. That was to see if I could retrain myself to feel my sleeve "talking" to me after 4 years. Ya know what? I can!!!

I will revisit with my surgeon is a couple o f months. If my weight is not dropping significantly, I will have an endoscopy to take a look at my sleeve.

But since, Jan. 18th, I am down 16#. So, I believe my sleeve and I are finally working together!

I should mention that I had spinal surgery a wee bit ago, so exercise is a challenge, but I am having P.T. in a pool. My exercising will increase after P.T.

So, what I am saying is don't give up. Maybe the "5 Day Pouch Test" would help you. It is a really good tool to reset your journey. --and also to see if your sleeve is still viable.

But, as always, I suggest you revisit your surgeon. That I believe should be your first phone call----ASAP!!! If he finds your sleeve is still viable--get back on track. If he finds your sleeve is not working---have him fix it!! Either way, don't give up on yourself.

Your worth the effort. Hell, yes! You are worth the effort and soooo much more.

Don't give up You are doing everything correctly. I agree with a few of the others go back to your Doc and Nut they are your best friends on this journey. It could be that your auto immune system is playing up. I have Hashimotos and was sleeved on Tuesday when I came home I was 6lbs heavier! So I will see if I loose weight to. My Doc told me it would be slower than others because of this disease. Always disheartening to hear this! Damn disease! He has told me to exercise each day when I am well enough So I bought a fit bit and intend to try to get 10000 steps each day. Well that's my goal. Keep my Water up and only put in my mouth nutritionally dense food.. Protein first.. So if you eat out just scrap the cheese off the pizza one slice and eat that. No carbs. The sleeve is just a tool so we still have to diet but its just not so difficult with hunger pains.. Plus we eat protein first. I am staying positive and you will to..

I have Hashimotos and was sleeved on Tuesday when I came home I was 6lbs heavier! So I will see if I loose weight to.

Almost everyone comes home from the hospital weighing more than when they went in--it's all the IV fluids they pump into you. It is absolutely not an indication of your future success with the sleeve! For that very reason, I didn't get near a scale until my first follow-up appointment with my surgeon.

I have Hashimotos and was sleeved on Tuesday when I came home I was 6lbs heavier! So I will see if I loose weight to.

Almost everyone comes home from the hospital weighing more than when they went in--it's all the IV fluids they pump into you. It is absolutely not an indication of your future success with the sleeve! For that very reason, I didn't get near a scale until my first follow-up appointment with my surgeon.

I agree. It is a good idea to weigh infrequently, especially in the early weeks and months.

Just follow your program and the weight will come off.

Initially, I only weighed at Doctor's appointments which for me was a great strategy.

Get re-sleeved ..... Or at least consider a by-pass don't let your life pass you by and later regret not doing it sooner. I really don't think it's an issue of therapy or nutrition if you would've lost 30 or 40 pounds and got stuck maybe ???but I think it is something more mechanical than that. Something that you don't have as much control over personally. In the beginning the sleeve does do the majority of the work for you so I can't imagine how you couldn't of been more successful, unless it was just a mechanical type issue with the sleeve not being small enough or the hunger hormone not being removed completely. Good luck don't waste anymore time.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@k95

You are justified in feeling the way you do about your experience with surgery.

I wonder is the sleeve was the correct procedure for you. This is an option to think about. You could try to get a second opinion on a possible revision.

During my first lecture from my surgeons office. He explained the sleeve surgery first was designed for the super morbidly obese. The sleeve was the first stage until their weight was low enough for a malabsorption procedure. (Duodenal switch or roux en Y Bypass.)

I can never walk in your shoes to know exactly what you are going through with this. I wish you the best.

Jenn

You are still very young and have your whole life ahead of you. I agree with the others - get some counseling and go to a nutritionist that both deal with Bariatric Programs. You don't mention how much you weigh but with diabetes and that you mention you graze - you probably would have been better off with bypass. The sleeve can work for you - but it's just a tool - you need to change your eating habits and mindset. Good luck!