Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

deally, you cook your own meals from scratch every night. You know what goes in them, how much you can have, and what the exact nutritional stats are.

In reality? Not a chance! There has to be the occasional or even frequent day or evening when you eat out. It may be because you run out of time to cook at home, you have plans to go out with friends or family, or you have a work function.

You can’t let these restaurant trips destroy your diet, so what do you do? Do you order from the menu and just eat the parts of the meal that are on your diet? Do you ask the server for a staple like chicken breast and a salad? Do you bring your own food? Do you just sip on ice Water or tea while everyone else eats?

Share your restaurant strategies!

salad bar. Sandwiches. I said before the surgery I would not be making fast food a part of my life, along with sodas, and I've kept to that.

I eat out all the time. I usually order from the apps menu, and I usually order something with shrimp. The appetizer menu is portion friendly, and you can usually find Protein without a side of carbs. I **never** order a full meal any more as it would be a waste. If the appetizer menu is all fried crap, I will eat Soup or a side salad with a Protein add on.

If there really is nothing I want that's a good choice, I order a glass of "grape juice" ;) and enjoy that instead.

I usually try to find something healthy on the menu and it lasts about 3 meals. I'll try to substitute more veggies instead of starch. I usually go the meat/veggie/veggie route. It works for me and I LOVE leftovers!

I order from the appetizer menu if there is a suitable selection. If not I ask if I can "design" my own small meal. I carry a card stating that I am post bariatric surgery patient which was given to me by my hospital and signed by my surgeon.

I can report that I have NEVER been denied the opportunity to design my own meal. Restaurants--especially local ones don't want to drive repeat customers away. --and with the increasing number of people having bariatric surgery, co-operating with me helps them "plan" for the future.

I also report the restaurant and their wiliness to my support group at our next meeting. That sends more customers into the co-operative restaurant.

It's a wee bit of work, but it's a "win/win" for everybody.

Depends on the place, but typically salads or grilled chicken out. If I'm running around and need to eat I'll get grilled nuggets from chick fil a. Today I met a friend for brunch and got scrambled eggs and fruit. It was hard because their pancakes and such looked so good, but can't get back in old habits.

I pick restaurants that have items I can eat. I check menus online before going.

I usually order some sort of seafood appetizer.

If that isn't an option a salad with grilled meat.

If that isn't an option and it is a nice dinner restaurant, steak is now an option.

So many people Keto, low carb, eat paleo that there are lots of options on most menus especially at newer trendier resturants. I also always keep a Quest bar with me for dates and if I drive I keep a premier Protein shake in my car so if I end up not eating much, I can get my Protein later.

Eating at restaurants is really easy if you have control over your eating. For people still struggling I think all the options will be too much temptation.

I order whatever looks good and what Im in the mood for at the time. Sometimes it's an appetizer and I share. Sometimes it's an entree and I take home leftovers that last 3-4 more meals. And sometimes I split an entree with someone and I just let them order whatever they want. If it's not particularly "bariatric friendly" I just pick through and eat the Protein and veggies.....set the bun aside, peel or scrape off the breading, etc.

Restaurants have never been an issue for me postop. Fortunately I don't measure or track or have any food intolerances and I love leftovers so portions and ingredients don't make or break what I order. I've never found it necessary to place a special, custom order and have never skipped an opportunity to go out to eat.

Before my surgery, my wife and I enjoyed looked forward to our "date night" every Friday, our style is Mom&Pop type places who usually give you a lot of food. Now, about a year and a half later, I still find going out to eat frustrating, it's more about the company and quite a bit less about the food. We go out maybe once a month or every other month, I just don't enjoy it much any more. I try to look at menus online before getting there, I don't usually order off the appetizer menu, mostly high fat, high carbs, and not many Protein choices, I'll order a la carte because it doesn't make sense for me to get a three course meal or salad and bread, I can't eat a whole meal anymore. For me if I'm in the mood for a burger we know of some good places who offer sliders, as far as pastas I don't order out because they give you too much, although I don't mind taking leftovers home. I also eat a lot slower, so at home I can take my time, at a restaurant, although they don't usually rush us, I always figure we're there for the business of eating so I'll get a sandwich that I can eat in a reasonable time and take half home, IDK, maybe I'm a little weird about that. So I prefer to make my own meals and do something else for entertainment. I still enjoy foods and I'm never hungry, I still have my food preferences, but I kind of miss the old days when I really enjoyed restaurants.

But I have absolutely no regrets, I may not enjoy eating out anymore, but I feel incredible, I'm not on meds, my joints aren't constantly in pain, my clothes fit well, I can walk and run, I'm almost 64 years old and I feel young again. Life is great!

Edited by vincereautmori

I found the pot of goal this afternoon. I was just out and about and came across a pizza restaurant with a full bariatric menu... Georgina's Pizzaria in Morrisville, NC. I ordered two meatballs with marinara for less that $5. The meatballs were probably large enough to make two meals (I haven't had my surgery yet so I was able to eat both). Taste great. They have a regular menu as well.

I have been eating out in restaurants since the soft food stage. I have 1 rule, no fast food in my diet. I steer clear completely.

I do go to places like panera, noodles and company - I would consider these fast food but they have excellent options for me. Soup and healthy salads with Protein. Buff bowls from noodles and company are fantastic.

Other restaurants I will start by looking at the appetizers or small plates. If that won't work then I will find a Protein with a side of vegetables.

Tonight on my way to Minnesota, I opted for a small plate of grilled walleye and sautéed zucchini.

I did however eat a couple of my hubbys fried cheese curds. Oh my was that a treat! They have great protein but the fat content was pretty high.

I'm not a traditional fast food eater either, but I have found a few excellent options.

Wendy's chili.

McDonald's Egg McMuffin, remove half of the English muffin.

Sonic, junior Breakfast burrito, I peel the tortilla off like a banana and throw most of it away.

BK junior whopper, remove bun.

Chick Filet, grilled nuggets or chicken tortilla Soup, or it's not on the menu, but you can get a small cup of their chicken salad. No bread involved.

Hardee's fried chicken breath, remove the skin.

KFC, same as Hardee's.

Subway and Jersey Mike's will make any sub a salad.< /p>

Taco Bell, bean burrito or taco al Fresca, remove most of the tortilla.

Most places have a grilled chicken option and it's easy enough to remove a bun. Fries make me vomit after the third one and I no longer crave them. Don't feel pressured to buy the meal and the dollar or value menu usually has a perfect choice for me.

I prefer real food, but in a pinch, there are options.

Oh! My favorite quick option is WaWa gas station. They have hard boiled eggs, cheese sticks, Protein bars, Protein drinks, Jerky, nuts, all the right things for my meal plan.