Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any sleevers over 60?

Hi,

I've posted in the age specific discussion but it doesn't seem to get as many looks as this one. My mom is going to have the sleeve in March and I was wondering if there are any over 60 sleevers out there who could give me some tips? She is 66. She's retired, has had one knee replaced and will probably have the other one done in a couple of years. Her goals are to be more active, not get as winded, and be able to keep up with her grandkids who range in age from 8 to 13.

Any info/tips would be helpful.

Thanks!

I'm still preop, but I'm in my 60's. Depending on her overall health at time of surgery and yours, about the only big difference postop between you is that recovery is likely to take a bit longer for her - cells don't regenerate as quickly the older we get.

I have to constantly remind myself of this, particularly when it comes to exercise. I have a bad habit of forgetting I'm not in my 30's and doing too much too soon. When I'm working to get back into shape, I really need one or two off days a week for muscles and joints to rest and recover.

Good luck to your mom, she's fortunate to have a supportive family!

I'm 70 and was sleeved at age 68. I've lost exactly 100 pounds and am merrily maintaining at 135 right now. I look great, feel even better.

I don't think I've done anything to be successful that's any different than a 30-year-old would have to do. I've tracked my food, planned my meals, taken all my supplements, gradually moved more and become more active, seen a shrink, learned a lot about nutrition and applied those lessons to meal planning, had great family support (my husband), followed all the WLS rules, e.g., eat lots of Protein and eat it first, drink lots of Water, don't drink with meals, etc.

She just has to really want it. And it really helps to have a positive attitude. If she wants it really bad, she can be as successful as anybody.

P.S. I also assume / hope that having WLS is her idea and not something that another family member has talked her into doing. ;)

I am 64 now , but had my sleeve at age 62. I have done well, and despite orthopedic and post-stroke issues that will never go away, am otherwise healthier than I have been since my 20's.

Losing weight has taken a lot of stress of my knee replacements and has improved my posture.

Although I am no gym rat, I can exercise daily. My digestion is 1,000% better, my mood is lifted, and I even feel sexier (an outcome I was not expecting). My sleeve has given me a better quality of life and I just plain feel better.

@VSGAnne2014 - it was definitely her idea! No one can tell my mom to do something she doesn't want to do. I think she's seen me be successful and would like that for herself :)

2Goldengirl & MissMac - thank you for your comments. I know that losing weight will make her feel so much better and also better about herself.

I know she's going to do well. She has really put a lot of effort into this and is one of the first one's in her "class" from orientation to have a surgery date.

Thanks for the responses!

I was 67, sleeved 2 1/2 years ago. Never felt better. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

I will be 64 in June, and I am scheduled for surgery in March. I have had both of my knees replaced, high blood pressure, pre diabetic, Gerd and sleep apnea. (I sound a wreck). I'm hoping with this surgery to reduce the number of pills I have to take and to become more mobile. Basically to improve my quality of life. Even knowing the cons to the surgery and still see saw because of the unknowns that come along with it. Deep down I am going to go through with it because my physician recommended it and I understand it can help prolong my life. It would be nice to hear the experiences of others who had the sleeve in the sixties. Good luck to your mom and others who are committed to this new lifestyle.

I will be 70 this year. Had the sleeve Nov. 2013. It got me off Metformin, one BP pill, and asthma meds. I was a mess.

I turned 60 2 days before my sleeve surgery which was One week ago. I tried 8 years ago for the lapband but was denied. I had 2 days of bad pain but by Friday I was feeling great. I am able to take my Protein Soups and shakes and drinking my Water without any problems. I had lost a huge amount of weight on my own but still have a huge amount to lose and know that I will do it, as there is still a lot of life left in me. I doubt your Mom's age will cause her any issues.

I was sleeved in Aug, 2015 at age 62. I have never regretted it! I am now 63 and have lost 48 lbs, gone down two pants sizes and feel great. I am not doing anything special, still have one Protein Drink a day, usually for Breakfast and drink Water or Crystal Lights all the time. I started at 216 and am now 168. I feel great, have more energy and no longer walk into a crowd thinking people are noticing how fat I am! Your mother will do great!