Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Just recommended

Today my Dr. Asked me to research Gastric Sleeve Surgery. She prescribed amphetamine pills and said after three to six months I should qualify for surgery.

What do I need to concentrate on? Thank you to anyone that responds.

The first thing I would check out are your insurance requirements. Read the policy and find out exactly what they require. I am not sure I have ever read of a doc giving pills to get you to qualify for surgery. i am a little confused. I understand the doc wants you to lose weight, thus the pills. Is she saying to lose X amount of weight and then you will qualify? Will you give more details?

Exactly what I was going to ask!

I have never heard of a doctor giving you weight loss pills prior to weight loss surgery either unless you have no record of attempted weight loss they may need to do this to show the insurance company that you have tried XY and Z to lose weight and you haven't been fully successful

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

A lot of insurance companies want to see that you have tried other ways to lose weight before they will approve you for the weight loss surgery

The first thing I would check out are your insurance requirements. Read the policy and find out exactly what they require. I am not sure I have ever read of a doc giving pills to get you to qualify for surgery. i am a little confused. I understand the doc wants you to lose weight, thus the pills. Is she saying to lose X amount of weight and then you will qualify? Will you give more details?

You guys are exactly right. I have had this Dr for eight years and she knows what I have done to try to lose weight. I obviously have a good deal to learn. The reason she gave me the prescription is to help me with weight loss and for documentation. I will go in every month for a check up. She hasn't agreed to recommend me for surgery. She asked me if I had considered surgery. Due to health issues it is difficult for me to exercise enough to lose the weight and because of the amount of weight I need to lose. I have a pulmonary embolism, emphysema ando because I am so overweight back pain. Today is just day one for me when it comes to learning about any type of surgery so I have a long way to go. The three to six months comment was how long she wants to document my weight loss attempt. I have Medicare. I just want to get an idea of what to expect if I decided that I would like to move forward. Trust me I am not going to act like a know it all. I probably no the least of everyone on here, that is why I am asking all of you. Thank you for any and all help.

what state are u in? or country? Good Luck

Well if you are asking what the sleeve is all about, I can tell you my experience. It is amazing. My biggest problem was overeating. I would not stop, mostly at dinner, if it tasted good, I would just eat it all. Now the sleeve stops me and that's just what I need. I just had lunch, chicken,i t was so good, and I wanted to eat more, but I ate about 3 ounces and that was it, time to stop, I love it. I am 1 week short of 6 months, and have lost 75 lbs including pre op. I have about 45 more lbs to go. My cholesterol is normal for the first time in a very long time, my blood sugars, was not diabetic but heading that way, are back to normal. I do still have high blood pressure, but that goes with other things besides weight. I just had my first total knee replacement and I cannot even imagine putting that extra 75lbs on it if I had not lost that weight.

My suggestion is you find a bariatric group, more then 1, and go to their usually free seminars and you will learn so much and see which one you click with. From there they can help you proceed with the surgery if that is what you want, and then your doc can document your attempted weight loss and illnesses. It really is that simple. When you meet the reqyirements, the group will put in for authorization, and then you get the date. Good luck, hope this helps some.

@ i suggest you find out exactly what medicare requires, too, so that maybe you can meet their requirements during this 3/6 month period. kill two birds with one stone so to say.

good luck to you! there is tons of information on this site.

Why don't you look up bariatic clinic in your state or docs and just go there for your consultation and everything else

You will only need this doc for your pcp letters of support and like your clearances !!!

pills ??? Not cool

pills were given here, too. My insurance required 3 months of supervised weight management. I met with surgeon, she gave me an amount to lose. My monthly visits were to be with a doctor in her clinic (a Center of Excellence). My first appointment after just a little medical history, the doctor started describing a variety of pills. I almost fell out of my chair! Apparently they allow patients the option when on supervised visits to start the weight loss. I politely declined and said I was doing well enough on my own, which she agreed with.