Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it really worth it?

I understand the fear of being thinner. Thin = vulnerable. When we are overweight we are more or less invisible--and that can be very comforting for those of us that need to hide sometimes.

For me, the fear of never knowing my true potential because of my weight finally outgrew my fear of being thin. It became apparent that I would be facing a major fear either way, so I figured I might as well face my fear of being thin. Seemed like it may have a better set of rewards. :-)

That's totally true. I feel safe being invisible. I don't like to go out in public because it makes me feel bad. I hate running into people who haven't seen me in a while. My reunion was a nightmare. All reasons to continue on with surgery I know. I am going to do it. I'm just scared.

Having my surgery in 48 hours. Went through a period of anxiety but now that D Day is almost here I am back to being excited and looking forward to the future. Hope you will feel the same x

I am a week and a half from surgery and I'm so nervous. Are the complications that come with this worth it? It's permanent. There is no going back. I think I'm also afraid to be thinner and that's so messed up. Every time in the past when I started to really get the weight off I would sabotage myself and gain it all back plus some. I can't do that after this. I guess I just have the jitters. I can't seem to shut my brain off... Maybe it's the only liquids preop diet going to my head.

It's normal to worry and be nervous. It's a big surgery, and a big life style change. A few observations from someone who is three years post op.

As for complications, they are rare. However, if you get one, you have it 100%. Only you can decide if the benefit is worth the risk. I had thought about WLS for years, and until 3 years ago, it wasn't worth it. But it became more impossible to lose weight and I was starting to get complications from obesity.

Regarding permanence - it is, but not so much. At three years out, I can eat enough to weigh 300 pounds again. People don't want to hear it, but it's the truth. I spent the first year learning how to not do that, but it is a fight and a struggle every day. So, yes, you could sabotage yourself. You have to figure out how not to do that.

So all that might sound negative, but it's not meant to be. It is meant to be a dose of reality for what it looks like in three years. Having said all that, it was ABSOLUTELY worth the risk of complications (and I did have a minor one) and it gave me a fighting chance. More so than I ever thought possible.

The first year was a dream come true for me. The weight came off pretty easily and steadily, and I lost 145 pounds in 14 months. I went from a 26 to an 8. I've maintained over a year and a half, and while it's a daily struggle, that's worth it to me, too. I am worth the effort it takes. My life is much better at this weight than it was at 300+ pounds. Hands down, no comparison. Let us know how you do.

It's the 4 th quarter for me too. I'm also getting nervous. I'm not super big but big enough where I have troubles tying my shoes ect.... Tomorrow I have my last appointment with my surgeon and will be submitting it into insurance.. Not looking forward to the pain but I'm welcoming the change

I am just beginning this process and I have the same thoughts and fears as you. I've watched videos of people talking about their complications that could have been life threatening, but they removed just fine....and those people still say hands down they would do it again. What a testimony. I think there is just something so freeing about the idea of escaping obesity, something that has robbed us of the better years of our lives. If you were taken prisoner, wouldn't you try to escape if you knew there was a great chance for success but a small risk of injury or failure? Or would you stay "safe," but trapped in a life of misery? I'm asking myself these questions right now. It takes courage, that's for sure.

I can only speak for myself, but hopefully this is helpful.

If you have struggled with losing weight and particularly keeping it off, this can be the tool you need to not only achieve success but to maintain it.

Complications can happen, but a lot of times they don't.

Also... You CAN mess this up. Don't think it's impossible to sabotage your post op. You can still eat ice cream and drink milk shakes and all manner of high calorie foods in post op and even though you have a smaller stomach you can still gain weight and stretch out your stomach.

It's a tool you have to learn to work with and in the beginning phases it is no doubt tough... But you will find that if you work with the tool, it's a lot harder to fail. The weight loss also isn't easier... In a lot of ways it's harder.

I like this analogy. Traditional Weight loss is preparing yourself for boot camp and when you finally walk in the door you have the option to leave whenever you want and quit.

Bariatric Sleeve surgery is going directly to boot camp and you aren't aloud to leave.

Either way, boot camp is hard and it will kick your butt... But the end goal is to get fit and make you healthier.

People like you and I will fail if we are given an option to... That's why Bariatric becomes an attractive option.

You won't regret not being hungry all the time.

You won't regret not being winded and stiff and sore all the time.

You won't regret buying clothing at normal stores.

You won't regret fitting in places better... Cars, airplanes and showers.

You might miss drinking soda or beer... But it will pass because all the new things you can now do will distract you.

Hopefully this is helpful.

Very helpful. I just downloaded this app today and it's nice to chat with people who understands the problems and frustrations of obesity.. It's also helpful that people, like me are nervous about some of the changes knowing its permanent.

Psychologically I look forward to be liberated from this even knowing the work I must put in.

6 weeks post op and have not once doubted my decision. ????