Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeons don't always have the best plan

I live in the Memphis area, there are a surgeons here that are great and are supportive of your progress and are willing to help you however they can.

Unfortunately there's also surgeons that want you to be on their diet plan, even if it doesn't work out with whatever lifestyle you have.

My complaints with my surgeon.

-Awful bedside manner, never should you make someone feel stupid for not knowing something. Being called naive in a vulnerable time of your life is totally not OK in my book.

-Following the Protein intake I needed my surgeon told me had resulted in major hair loss. To the point leaving the house felt like everyone was looking at my hair.

-Nurses I've met that have worked with or know of this surgeon say the same thing "he's an a**"

Safe to say, like many of his patients, I'll be going to a new surgeon for whenever I have questions or concerns.

I am so sorry. I wish you the best. I'm putting out information so people can take charge of their health and to warn them about doctors.

I also had a problem surgeon. If you do fine, everything is great. However, there are dichotomy's about those who didn't have a good experience, don't have "easy" and "pay well" insurances, etc.

The problem in my area is there are apparently legal agreements to not take someone elses' patients after the surgery, possibly in a program (I don't know). You'd have to travel far to get away from them, way too far for it to be practical. I hope you don't have this problem.

Yeah, I was just reading another post from someone whose surgeon had been a complete ass at her most recent follow-up. I don't know if it's that they think "tough love" is needed or what, but it's crazy to think that any doctor could have so little empathy and compassion! The good news is, you have all of us! So unless you are experiencing a real medical complication, you can come here for support and advice and leave that surgeon behind! Another thing that came out of that post I was just reading is that you can turn back to your nutritionist for your diet concerns and you PCP for blood work and medical follow-up. So maybe look at the other professionals you have access too instead of relying on your surgeon for that stuff.

+9999

On top of that, my PCP runs more complete labs.

The nutritionist I had, well I showed them maybe they were a bit "confused"? They got upset at all the information I was asking but they knew I had stomach issues before the surgery. GI's dont have a clue about followup and I had another person tell me a former GI I went to was useless about the condition. The dieticians are like, we do diabetics.

After care is a crazy, and they wonder why there is regain so much.

Yeah, I was just reading another post from someone whose surgeon had been a complete ass at her most recent follow-up. I don't know if it's that they think "tough love" is needed or what, but it's crazy to think that any doctor could have so little empathy and compassion! The good news is, you have all of us! So unless you are experiencing a real medical complication, you can come here for support and advice and leave that surgeon behind! Another thing that came out of that post I was just reading is that you can turn back to your nutritionist for your diet concerns and you PCP for blood work and medical follow-up. So maybe look at the other professionals you have access too instead of relying on your surgeon for that stuff.

Im having my own issues with my surgeons office so I get it. Today they called me at work when I specifically put on my application NOT to call me at work. We have caller id. So much for me trying to keep this from my coworkers.

Could you please clarify what the doctor told you about your hair loss and Protein? I didn't quite understand what you were saying. Did he tell you because you didn't follow Protein guidelines it resulted in the Hair loss?

I hope you don't have problems finding another surgeon.

I appreciate all the positive responses.

Luckily it's been a few months since I've seen this surgeon. I visited him once to make sure everything was healing right and never went back.

I don't recommend this for everyone of course. But I have a lot of family in the surgery/nursing field to aid me while I was recovering.

My surgeon told me that I needed 50-75g of Protein a day and when I got to a weight I felt comfortable I could lower the Protein to just 40-50g. Which is totally wrong. I would have to empty out my paddle brush every other week from how much hair would be left in it.

I recently talked to a girlfriend of mine who had the band done (she unfortunately went to the same surgeon) and she is helping me get in the right direction with my health. She's actually the one who told me about this app.

My surgeon told me that I needed 50-75g of Protein a day and when I got to a weight I felt comfortable I could lower the Protein to just 40-50g. Which is totally wrong. I would have to empty out my paddle brush every other week from how much hair would be left in it.

That seems super low. I was supposed to work my way up to 100 grams of protein a day as fast as I could (obviously wasn't getting that much in the very beginning). I had pretty minimal Hair loss and it only lasted a month and a half.

That seems super low. I was supposed to work my way up to 100 grams of protein a day as fast as I could (obviously wasn't getting that much in the very beginning). I had pretty minimal Hair loss and it only lasted a month and a half.

Yes, this surgeon should just stick to surgery.

He really had no idea what he was talking about. My stepdad works in surgery at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and had to correct a lot of stuff my surgeon was saying to me about the procedure.

Example, when I was researching before surgery I noticed some people with only 3 laparoscopic incisions, when I woke up with 6 I was pretty concerned on why. The surgeons response was "Sometimes we have to do more than 3, sometimes we will have to do 7 or 8." He said that in front of my stepdad, and let me just say it got very awkward after my stepdad had to correct him.

@@heychelle912

When was your surgery? Here is the problem, you can't get a lot of Protein in at first, when your body needs it. Your hair can fall out, no matter what you eat or how much or what else. Once you are out for a year or so, there is not one doctor who can prove to me you need the same amount of Protein or more than regular people. There is not a lick of science they have to prove you need more than the regular person because people already get more than enough. For RNY'ers, I can see a slight bit, but there are studies showing the intestines "relearn" to make up for a lot of things. Proven in studies. Sleeves (unless you are like me & even then there are caveats), where is the scientific proof? These guys make not one whit of distinction between right after surgery and the first 6-9 months or so, compared to farther out. Defies logic & common sense.

They haven't also answered questions as to us having a higher than normal colon cancer risk because of all the meat they want to eat. Notice it is meat, not protein, where the emphasis is.

@@animallover1247

Someone needs to mention HIPAA to them.

@@swimbikerun

I sent an email to the person who violated HIPPA and let her know how upset I am. She told me she didn't have the information I requested not to be called at work in front of her. She apologized but she can't take it back, the damage is done. I told her I only hope some policy is put into effect so this never happens again. I have a job where I am bound by confidentiality; I know very personal information about my clients and I would have never called someone at work if they hadn't told me it was okay. UGH.

They can do that to get out of what they did. It could also be a regular mistake. The problem is where they don't take this stuff seriously. Having had my stuff put out there not by my choice nor was it correct, I can feel for you.

I live in the Memphis area, there are a surgeons here that are great and are supportive of your progress and are willing to help you however they can.

Unfortunately there's also surgeons that want you to be on their diet plan, even if it doesn't work out with whatever lifestyle you have.

My complaints with my surgeon.

-Awful bedside manner, never should you make someone feel stupid for not knowing something. Being called naive in a vulnerable time of your life is totally not OK in my book.

-Following the Protein intake I needed my surgeon told me had resulted in major hair loss. To the point leaving the house felt like everyone was looking at my hair.

-Nurses I've met that have worked with or know of this surgeon say the same thing "he's an a**"

Safe to say, like many of his patients, I'll be going to a new surgeon for whenever I have questions or concerns.

Hi I am in the Collierville area. I had/have a wonderful surgeon. I am 6 weeks post op but boy oh boy did I use the after hours number and he would return all my calls. PM me if you need someone to talk to.