Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Diet Change, Now I Can't Get Enough To Eat!

Hello All and Happy New Year!!

I now have a new dilemma... Right now, I'm pre-op and have started changing my diet to stay in the calorie limit set for my weight and BMI by my nutritionist. One of my goals was to eliminate carbonated drinks (my main drink is Diet Mt. Dew) which I have done pretty good with keeping. I have also done pretty good with my other goal of at least 90 minutes of exercise a week and drinking at least 64 ounces of Water a day. Here's my dilemma: Ever since I started changing my diet and eliminated sodas, I can't seem to get enough to eat!! It's like a hole in my stomach and I can't fill it up!! And the flatulence that came with the change of diet!!! * holds nose and fans hand, eyes crossed* Whoo!! I've been wondering, did anyone else have to deal with this? Is this what is called "head hunger"?

are you physically hungry or just craving things. If you're physically hungry maybe some low calorie Snacks like veggies will help to fill you up.

Pay attention to your body, if you think you are hungry try drinking some Water. If you are still feeling that hunger 30 minutes later try a cup of fat free milk. This will fill you up as it turns to a solid when it hits your stomach.

Head hunger is when you think you are hungry but you really are not. I know for me this still is one of the toughest things to deal with even 15 months post op.

I drink a lot of fat free milk which provides both Protein and Calcium. I use different teas like chocolate chai brewed in milk in the evenings. It is tasty, fills me up and provides other benefits.

Besides Water, and Protein shakes tea is the only thing I drink.

When I first started changing up my diet per my NUT's plan, I would have days where I was physically starving to death and days where it wasn't so bad. For me, when I try to restrict anything, my body makes me want that thing more before it will even consider using fat stores so if I restricted carbs, my body would crave carbs desperately to the point I spent a lot of nights awake dealing with the hunger. Things that helped for me were Protein Drinks and getting in lots of Water above and beyond what is expected. Those two things held me together through my program. Now that I'm on the other side of surgery and 2 months out, that is all gone. The good news is after surgery, this goes away! ????

Sophie74656: It feels like physical hunger, although I'm telling myself that I just ate, so I shouldn't be hungry. Thanks for the suggestion of low carb Snacks and veggies.

Djmohr: I'll try the Water and low fat milk. I was thinking about trying the Iaso Tea, also as it is a detox tea and helps promote weight loss.

Sajijoma: I think I'll be drinking a whole lot of Water and low fat milk. I'm thinking and saying to myself, "if it's this hard now, what am I gonna do when I get to the liquid diet?" It feels like surgery is so far away. I've finished all my pre-op screenings and am now waiting on approval from my insurance company.

Thank you all for words of advice and encouragement. I certainly appreciate it. I'll be trying your suggestions. I pray that I'll be out of this stage real soon!!!! <3

You gotta get serious about this.Talk to your dr about soft foods diet...no sugar...talk to your dr.

You've gotten some good advice. All I can add is once you've had your DS, you'll be able to eat all the Protein you want. So hunger won't be a problem. :)

Edited by Postop

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I have been diligently following the suggestions and instructions from my Nutritionist. I don't feel as hungry as I did before. I guess my body had to adjust to the new way of eating. I still haven't heard from my insurance company, but I'm thinking any day now. I'm just trying to get a head start on everything.

Steamed veggies,sautéed spinach.

I am on a 1300 calorie pre-op diet. I feel full most of the time even with the drastic calorie cut. Here are the tips my Nutritionist gave me:

1. Eat within 1 hour of waking up.

2. Sip 2 oz of Water every 15 minutes (except 30 minutes before, during, and after a meal). Minimum daily goal=64 oz.

3. Eat every 3 hours.

Try to get between 80-100g of Protein per day.

Best of luck to you.

I was on my pre-op diet for three weeks prior to surgery, and the first week about killed me. My diet was 4 oz meat, 4 oz fruit, 4 oz veggies daily. I thought my doctor was insane, and trying to starve me to death. It was an absolute emotional roller coaster. I feel sorry for my family during that period of time - I was probably a bit of a lunatic.

By the end of three weeks, I was shocked at how much food other people could eat. I wasn't hungry anymore, and I'd learned to split my food up to make it last through the day. Drinking tons of Water is, of course, very helpful, and good preparation for the rest of your life. Good luck. You'll be fine. :)