Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

360+ pounds?!? help!

Hi there Allyrenee11!

My highest weight was 359 lbs in April of 2015, by the time I had surgery in November, I was 310 lbs exactly. My intention was to have the sleeve. After many,many, many discussions with my surgeon and dietician, I felt I needed to go with the bypass. This was due to the fact that I come from a long line of diabetics, and my PCP was ready to start me on insulin if I didn't do something. I also didn't want to deal with the possibility of developing GERD. So please, listen to what your Bariatric team has to say. Good luck!

@

I was 302 pounds the first day I met with my program director. I am 5'2 and that is 160 pounds of extra (unnecessary) weight I was carrying around, all day, everyday.

Two weeks into the program I was moved into "group" meetings and there I met women from different points in the same journey. Until that first meeting, I was going towards Sleeve surgery as it seemed less invasive (it isn't), less restrictive (it is but that isn't necessarily a "good" thing) and didn't seem as drastic (umm, you completely lose part of your stomach, that's pretty drastic).

During that meeting I met six ladies who had all had sleeve done and were getting revisions to Bypass. When I asked "why?", they all had a similar story. They never reached goal weight, they were still battling comorbidities and they had horrible acid reflux (worse than prior to surgery). Two of them had actually been LapBand patients prior to getting Sleeved and were now faced with a third WLS. In total, there were out of the thirty people on the program (at the same time I was) 12 of them were Sleeve to Bypass revisions.

Those revision stories and the fact that I already had horrible GERD, my surgeon and I decided Bypass was best for me. He also felt that due to my obesity, my obesity related issues and my age, (30's) Bypass was a better fit. I have lost seventy pounds since having surgery on September 9th 2015 and have absolutely no regrets. None. Not a single one and everyday I feel better and better. I am off all my diabetes medicine, my blood pressure medicine and my labs are spot on with taking my Vitamins daily. Which is something I (and many others) should be doing regardless of surgery. Many obese individuals were not getting the right nutrition from the foods they were eating, anyway.

I am in no way trying to persuade you in one direction or the other. I am not a medical professional and all I am offering is my story. And the reason I decided to have Bypass over Sleeve.

Good luck on your journey!

This is why I am going for a revision from lapband which is pure misery to bypass.I definitely will not be sitting in the group of 3x is a WLS charm.I have developed so many issues thanks to lapband which is a failure and has done its share of damage...I can't afford to cut 85% of my stomach.no way...

I am getting a revision to bypAss December 28.Cant wait to start my new successful journey...

I was 333 on the day of surgery and as of my 5 month mark I was down 82 lbs and at 251. I have been on vacation the last 3 weeks so I won't be able to weigh myself until I am back home in a week to see where I am currently. I had VSG.

Edited by mslove83

I was 368 the day I went in. I had the roux en y got pregnant 5 months later and by the 18 month mark I had a new daughter and was down to 155 pounds.post-268722-0-77437000-1451372495_thumb.jpeg

I will toss my hat in this ring. The concern I have with the sleeve, it is a fairly new option. Remember everyone jumping up and down and touting the band as the greatest thing ever. In 2014 there were more band > bypass revisions than band installations. Why? Long term data. The Bypass has been around since the 1960's! It has gone through so many revisions it is hard to keep track of them all. This is why the complication rate is so low. It is one of the most well understood procedures you can have. The sleeve, while very easy surgically (comparatively) lacks 10 year studies. It also lacks head to head studies at 5 and 10 years against the bypass. If I were going to wait 10 years, I would look at the studies and make up my mind then. However, after the debacle that was the band, I went with "The Golden Standard" the Bypass. And I do not regret it for even a moment. Surgery October 5th, weight in before surgery 295.9, weight this morning 234.4, 61.4 pounds in 9 weeks? I'll take it. And I feel great. But, to each his own. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

I had gastric bypass surgery exactly 7 months and 1 day ago. I started out at 345 lbs. I have lost 123 lbs so far. 72lbs to goal. That seems nothing in comparison to what I have done already. The major key to my success has been that I did on my own, extensive therapy work on food addiction issues. Without that, I would have failed already. I know me.

I'm off all my diabetes meds, and off all insulins. I am no longer considered diabetic.

I was taken off my cholesterol meds, and passed the 3 month mark, with flying colors, no need to resume those!

I was even taken off one of my heart meds because my blood pressure is completely normal now.

I think you have to make the choice that is best for you, and what is best for you depends on what you are dealing with before the surgery I needed to lose 195 lbs, and have severe GERD, so the clear choice for me was bypass, as you lose more on it, and sleeve can cause or make worse, GERD, my surgeon said. In fact had I not had complications he wanted to do a "Low limb" bypass, he couldn't however, as I had some pretty serious complications, during the surgery. But that would have had me losing even more, faster. I'm absolutely excited with my progress. Considering I have had nearly no ability to exercise, other than core strengthening since surgery, due to a badly infected toe I have been dealing with from a botched podiatrist treatment in July. I wonder how much more I could lose if I could walk daily! I'm getting better though, so watch out! Soon as I can get back on that treadmill things are going to change more!

I have absolutely no hunger still, I won't lie, I still have a struggle getting in my daily Protein and for sure my calories! But I do my best, and I get in my fluids. I don't have head hunger issues, as I have done so much work on that, and continue to, I do however keep finding myself wanting to go back to smoking, which I have quit almost 2 years ago. So watch out for those transfer addictions.. I can see how easily that could happen now!

Research, and see what is best for you. Ask your surgeon what is best for you, and take all your pre-existing conditions into account. The right answer will come.

As for those who say dumping happens to all bypass patients. That is not true. I haven't had that happen in 7 months. I also put nothing in my body that would cause that. Mal-absorption is also what helps us to lose, I still write down everything I eat and drink , and follow my program very closely. You get out of it what you put into it, I think.

Good luck with you! I know you'll figure it out. I think we all went through this. The answer will come!

You are a rock star!

Wow!

You've worked so hard at all angles and very single issue! Anyrhing that has come at you - you fought back and conquered! You are a true true inspiration and let us all learn a little something extra from you!

You should take a very proud bow my friend, for you are what we all try to be or achieve or become!

Just wow!

Also, good read and information you provided. All good points.

I am 3.5 months post op and have never dumped. I haven't put anything in my body to even have that chance of that happening. I'm no saying that I never will because I am human and I'm sure I will sometime down the road.

I would dump and have the foaming puke stuff after even a tic tac consider yourself lucky lol

@@Kathy Coop

I have come close 3 times now. I have a firm understanding of what is okay, and what is too much. And by close I mean one more bite, and I would have been gone. I got sweats and a rapid heartbeat. A bit of nausea, and the desire to lay down, but no vomiting or volcano ass! Phew! I do not imbibe sugar, however some things contain natural sugar, like an apple. 1/2 an apple is my limit. The yogurt I eat Oikos Triple Zero has Stevia in it, which apparently the body thinks is sugar, one I can get away with, two and I am right on the border. Plus full, so I never went for a third, lol. Dumping as I see it is a blessing. I CANNOT eat sugar. That is a good thing. Although my NUT said the oddest thing to me last time I saw her. She said after a year or so, dumping is not as bad, you might be able to eat like a 1/2 a cupcake. I nearly exploded at her. I was like do you tell everyone who comes in here to eat cupcakes after a year? WTF is wrong with you? She tried backpedaling, but by then I was all over her. I nearly stormed out of her office and complained to the staff that this moron is telling RNY GB that Cupcakes are okay after a year. I was FUMING. She is new and I told the desk staff to never schedule me with her again.

Sugar is so weird for me. I can drink a latte and be fine. I eat like 5 raisins and I want to DIE.

@@Kathy Coop

I find it better to avoid it like herpes. Hollow calories, no reason to eat it. Splenda works fine in my coffee. Asides from coffee and yogurt I do not eat anything sweet. I signed up for a lifestyle change and I am going to stick to it. Weight loss has been amazing this past month, nearly a pound a day. My NUT will faint on the 6th when I see her.

I am 3 years out and can still not eat more than 5 bites of anything. If it was not for my morning latte I would not be able to keep down my Protein Powder. On top of that my Iron levels are extremely low due to the fact that I can't eat any meat at all. I had to have 2 blood transfusion on the table during my c-section 11 weeks ago.

Highest weight was 400. I'm 5'7". I had to wait six months due to insurance requirements. I lost 35 pounds in that period. Now, two weeks out from RNY I'm down 50 pounds total.

I picked RNY because it's gold standard. I have a lot of weight to lose and I wanted to lose it in the most efficient and studied way possible. I had a few more reasons I picked it over the Sleeve. Discomfort with the process of losing a part of my stomach forever, a family history of reflux, the slower pace. It's a great surgery for some, but I didn't feel it was right for me.

As for dumping, I'm not so far out that I've experimented with fat or sugar too much. I may not dump at all for all I know. But I am very, very careful because it a pretty good deterrent.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you will be successful.

I wonder if it is a per person thing? I threw up 6 months straight no mater wHat I ate. Dumping for me is the rapid heartbeat, sweaty, anxiety attack of doom. But the foamies this weird liqued/foam vomit was happening at every meal not matter what. They thought I may have a sticture but it was just my "journey" apparently. I never had the mud butt so to speak lol

I was 343 prior to surgery. I lost 24 pre-op. I'm now down a total of 60lbs. Surgery was Oct 19th. But everyone's experience is so different.

I think the sleeve requires more self control. Once people heal, most people can eat almost anything. The thing is, bypass people can do the same thing. And malabsorption doesn't always last, your body can adjust.

As a youngish, single person, I went with the sleeve because it has the absolute longest history as a safe procedure. People have had large amounts of their stomach removed for a hundred years to cure stomach issues. I am single and I live alone. I wanted something with less potential for complications and easier recovery.

5.5 months out I have lost 81lbs. I started at 365, I weighed 358 on surgery.

Also, anyone can gain their weight back or never meet goal. I know someone that had bypass 2 years ago, never met goal and started regaining at 1.5 years out.