Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

360+ pounds?!? help!

actually, most bypasses are done laproscopically

I was 385 on surgery date. 15 months later, 248. I choice lap band, and I am thrilled!

No more diabetes, high blood pressure, seat belt extenders, etc

Good luck!

Day of sleeve surgery I was 330lbs. That was on 5/4/2015. I am not down to 254 so about 76lbs down in almost 8 months. I had the band first and had sever acid reflux. I now have the sleeve and have no reflux and love it so much more than the band. I know someone whom has the bypass and they did great with weight loss. I think it is all up to the person and how hard you work at it. I am sure I could have done a lot better than 76lbs but I try to be happy with my results so far!

Good luck in whichever you choose!

I was 410 at the start of pre op and chose the sleeve. Research to figure out your best option.

I was 418lb, after 8 weeks (4 weeks of Optifast and currently 4 weeks post op) I've lost 57lb. I had the sleeve

I was 387 on the day of surgery. I just hit 4 months post op on the 17th, and I'm down almost 80 pounds. I had the bypass. :)

Edited by Cervidae

I was 387 on the day of surgery. I just hit 4 months post op on the 17th, and I'm down almost 80 pounds. I had the bypass. :)

Hey Cervidae,

Wow fantastic job...

Please keep in mind .You want to make the best decision....no one who has had only the sleeve can tell you what bypass is like.The most informative posts in my opinion is the people who have had revisions.They can tell you what the deal is from both perspectives and personal experience not just tell you cookie cutter remarks.

I have a friend who had the sleeve in August.Their were some complications and she vomits and have been to the ER.Also developed GERD.Hervdaughter had the same sleeve surgery and she is doing fantastic no problems whatsoever.

I have lived in misery for far too long with the lapband .I am revising to bypass.I originally was going with the sleeve until I did more research.I have damage from the band to my esophagus and stomach.Soncutting 85% of my stomach out is not going to happen.I am a breast cancer survivor and I am not worried about malabsorption.What I am worried about is seeking a revision down the road to bypass because I made the wrong decision yet again.If you down the road find that you need a second surgery to bypass it is tough to get insurance to pay for a second procedure.

Think about it long and hard and make sure you have a very experienced physician.I had a surgeon who was only able to perform lapbands and sleeve so you know what that meant....I changed to a more experienced Doctor in the same practice who can really advise me from all perspectives.

I am revising to the bypass once and for all because I cannot go through a 3rd surgery.I am making the correct decision finally.The gold standard .I got too much weight to lose to play games.

I got the sleeve on 1st October, my starting weight was higher than yours and including my pre-op weight loss I am 108lbs down.

I discussed the bypass and the sleeve with my surgeon but opted for the sleeve due to my lifestyle as I spend a lot of time travelling and in hotels so have limited control of what I eat ultimately always make the best possible choices but not always brilliant and the concern was if I would be able to manage the bypass as there is a distinct possibility of more sensitivity to different foods. Ultimately the person best to guide you is your surgeon, they have all the facts about your situation and should help you make an informed decision on what is best for you.

Whatever your decision I wish you all the best on your journey, I personally have no regrets and feel it is one of the most significant decisions I have ever made for myself I wouldn't change a thing.

I started at 414. I had no pre-op diet and was 412 DOS. I am now in the 200's. I did my homework, and took into consideration my own motivation and physical limitations. I knew i didn't want or need the malabsorption of bypass, nor did I want that unused stomach just sitting inside me. I knew I need a tool to give me a jump start so to speak. I was already exercising regularly prior to surgery. Which I am certain my surgical process easy. It was literally pain free without vomiting/nausea/etc...

When I looked at surgeries I looked at more than 1 program, attended 2 informational seminars ( one for each program). I asked about dietary requirements for each program, and follow up care & support. I also choose from Centers of Excellence. When I spoke with the surgeons I discussed my needs and asked their recommendations even though I knew I wasn't interested in bypass. I wanted to here the explanations and reasoning from the surgeons themselves. Ultimately the surgeon I choose was one who's reasonings were more in line with what I was seeking and also had good follow up care and support.

For me the sleeve was the right decision even though I knew it meant it would take longer to reach goal weight. I am 14 mths out and 115lbs down. It's not lightening fast, but it has been steady and consistent.

My BMI was 52 when I revised from band to sleeve 4 years ago. I lost alot of weight and am successfully maintaining at a normal size/weight. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

However,I am also a fact based decision maker. I think someone with a very high Bmi should seriously consider the bypass and DS. Fact is that it is hard to maintain massive weight loss and those two procedures have good track records with people who start at a higher weight. I have seen too many people (especially my band days) who lost alot of weight but never reallymet their goal.

There are lots of success stories on this forum of all surgery types but I would really look into studies and facts because it IS a different path to lose more than half your body size. I also think it is important to know the pros and cons and key risks of each procedure so you can make the best decision for yourself. In my view, all WLS have a permanent impact (incredible pictures of my scar tissue due to the reversible lapband available..Ha!) so think carefully before leaping.

Good luck, it really is one of the best thing I have done for myself!

I was 363 my HW then 340 SW SD 8/4/15 CW 269 GW 180.. think Im doing well with my bypass

The lapband should be outlawed!

I had gastric bypass surgery exactly 7 months and 1 day ago. I started out at 345 lbs. I have lost 123 lbs so far. 72lbs to goal. That seems nothing in comparison to what I have done already. The major key to my success has been that I did on my own, extensive therapy work on food addiction issues. Without that, I would have failed already. I know me.

I'm off all my diabetes meds, and off all insulins. I am no longer considered diabetic.

I was taken off my cholesterol meds, and passed the 3 month mark, with flying colors, no need to resume those!

I was even taken off one of my heart meds because my blood pressure is completely normal now.

I think you have to make the choice that is best for you, and what is best for you depends on what you are dealing with before the surgery I needed to lose 195 lbs, and have severe GERD, so the clear choice for me was bypass, as you lose more on it, and sleeve can cause or make worse, GERD, my surgeon said. In fact had I not had complications he wanted to do a "Low limb" bypass, he couldn't however, as I had some pretty serious complications, during the surgery. But that would have had me losing even more, faster. I'm absolutely excited with my progress. Considering I have had nearly no ability to exercise, other than core strengthening since surgery, due to a badly infected toe I have been dealing with from a botched podiatrist treatment in July. I wonder how much more I could lose if I could walk daily! I'm getting better though, so watch out! Soon as I can get back on that treadmill things are going to change more!

I have absolutely no hunger still, I won't lie, I still have a struggle getting in my daily Protein and for sure my calories! But I do my best, and I get in my fluids. I don't have head hunger issues, as I have done so much work on that, and continue to, I do however keep finding myself wanting to go back to smoking, which I have quit almost 2 years ago. So watch out for those transfer addictions.. I can see how easily that could happen now!

Research, and see what is best for you. Ask your surgeon what is best for you, and take all your pre-existing conditions into account. The right answer will come.

As for those who say dumping happens to all bypass patients. That is not true. I haven't had that happen in 7 months. I also put nothing in my body that would cause that. Mal-absorption is also what helps us to lose, I still write down everything I eat and drink , and follow my program very closely. You get out of it what you put into it, I think.

Good luck with you! I know you'll figure it out. I think we all went through this. The answer will come!

Edited by SkinnyDown

my starting weight was 515. too high a bmi for lap band. other than my size, no other health issues. so no medical reason for bypass. my doctor steered me towards the sleeve(a decision i had already made after much research). one month of liquid pre-op, 480 the day of surgery, 365 today. a 150 lb loss on 5 month post op date. i am very happy with my choice. it is saving my life. do your research, but follow your heart. good luck!