Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op lost 75 lbs

Hi all I got sleeved September 29, 2015. Losing weight and finally starting to show it! I wore pants yesterday that i had bought 5 yrs ago as a one of these days apparel... I have one more pair of pants that is a few sizes smaller that is the same category of one of these days..... Incentive there!

One of the big issues im having still is misjudging portions....another im having is medical and is linked to the reason why i had the sleeve procedure done. When i misjudge i feel really uncomfortable and purge instead of dealing with it and risking having my stomach expand... And it seems i misjudge the most on red meats... No i dont purge everyday its when i have misjudged... One of my friends told me i should talk to the doc about it, i dont see why i should its my own dumb fault to begin with...and yeah im still working on hitting the right amount in my bowl, ( i dont do plates anymore) and one ounce of red meat is more than one ounce of chicken. I am going to see if i can stick to halving the half portion that i take... Just have to keep the unpleasant feeling i get when too full in mind..

The other issue is back n spinal cord related... Seems true exercise is on hold until my weight evens out... My sciatica is back to the point where my physical therapy tech canceled the appt. i had because instead of improving i was going the opposite direction. Ah well such is life for now but it will not stop me from stretching everyday that keeps me going! Lol.

How are you guys doing in relation to my experience? Just curious.

I have learnt to stop eating when I feel sated rather than full. Most days I manage to eat the Protein side of my meal but sometimes can't finish the rest. I do have four meals a day so its not too long until my next meal. Measure everything don't just guess the size and maybe stay off red meat for a little longer. That may help.

Best of luck and congratulations!

Regarding the "misjudging" - get a scale and measure it before you eat. Then eat slower. Take smaller bites, and wait for a signal from your body. It's a bit of learning curve.

I do have a scale that is no issue i think its because red meat is way denser than chicken or fish i precut everything too into small bites (pea sized)... I havent really felt hungry at all since the op ( that is a big blessing) and i keep mealtime to about 15 min so proper portioning is critical...and Im on the go more. Found out depending on how its cooked bacon is the only one that can make me sick just by eating it....dry cook it im fine, wet cook its too much grease and i get sick.

Drinking has become finally easier that was a major issue.. i was eating more Jello and pudding then because i could swallow that better, which is weird.

I'm confused. If you weight your red meat it doesn't matter if it's denser. You know how many ounces you will be eating so you can avoid eating too much. Do you just feel more full because the red meat fills you up more? I also use MyFitnessPal (FitDay whatever online app you want) and plan out my meals beforehand because it "keeps me honest."

I have never purged, but I know how much my tummy hurts after I vomit. I doubt your solution is helping your sleeve any more than stretching it would. Use this time to come to grips with your issues involving food. I've been seeing a therapist to help me deal with my old thought processes. Maybe you would find it helpful also?

75 pounds is a tremendous success! I hope you

It's very hard to judge portion sizes and it takes time to get used to. For me this was a real problem and I've thrown up a ton over it. But I reached a point where I got really tired of throwing up al the time so I forced myself to sit with the feeling and just wait it out. Now I am a lot more careful about Portion Control because I know I'm going to have to deal with the outcome.

For me the issue even skirted the line of becoming bulimic and I wasn't about to let that become my norm so I made sure I stopped throwing up at the least sign of discomfort. Now I order a to-go box with my meal and put anything over one cup of food in it right away, as my nut told me to do.

Also if I overeat I dump super bad so that's another reason I won't do it. If I don't vomit I dump, so either way I'm miserable. That's enough to keep me honest.

Don't let purging become a habit!

I do have a scale that is no issue i think its because red meat is way denser than chicken or fish i precut everything too into small bites (pea sized)... I havent really felt hungry at all since the op ( that is a big blessing) and i keep mealtime to about 15 min so proper portioning is critical...and Im on the go more. Found out depending on how its cooked bacon is the only one that can make me sick just by eating it....dry cook it im fine, wet cook its too much grease and i get sick.

Drinking has become finally easier that was a major issue.. i was eating more Jello and pudding then because i could swallow that better, which is weird.

Well, then, I got nothing. Good luck ;)

It's very hard to judge portion sizes and it takes time to get used to. For me this was a real problem and I've thrown up a ton over it. But I reached a point where I got really tired of throwing up al the time so I forced myself to sit with the feeling and just wait it out. Now I am a lot more careful about Portion Control because I know I'm going to have to deal with the outcome.

For me the issue even skirted the line of becoming bulimic and I wasn't about to let that become my norm so I made sure I stopped throwing up at the least sign of discomfort. Now I order a to-go box with my meal and put anything over one cup of food in it right away, as my nut told me to do.

Also if I overeat I dump super bad so that's another reason I won't do it. If I don't vomit I dump, so either way I'm miserable. That's enough to keep me honest.

Don't let purging become a habit!

Bella, you seem to grasp my issue best lol! Yeah its definitely a work in progress. My friend is even finally coming to terms with it...he likes to push food when im hanging out with him...so far best way for me is distracted eating where preportioned (no red meat now much as i like it its gotta go) food is in a bowl i grab a bite n go do something or read a book with bowl just beyond reach so i have to look....im sure its gonna keep evolving as the weeks go on! And being honest with myself about food... Keeping my friend in line too about food lol im thinking when i get down to his weight hes going to turn it into a competition to lose some more which is about 45 lbs away....

Mouse 1972rb

Hi mouse. I just had my sleeve on 11-30 so I am still a newbie and am trying to stop at full but I always seem to take that one last bite that puts me over the edge.

Hi kathy! Yeah definitely a learning curve...no matter all the information the medical staff gives you and we KNOW better because of that info.. Experience tends to throw us off a little.

I found some smaller glass bowls at good will yesterday yay!!