Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going from a failed lapband to a bypass....hoping the second time will be better...looking forward to not being invisible.....

I have learned so very much about what I never ever want to go back to. I believe inside I am the same caring, compassionate person I was before except I am happier and much healthier now.

My husband and I are like Mutt and Jeff, we always have been. I love that now when he is being sassy in a fun way I can actually chase him and catch him! (He of course hates this! LOL)

My youngest son is very much like my husband, a smart mouth but a mamas boy. He too realizes I can chase him and catch him because I have done it to his shock and amazement.

Guess I must have been so big I could barely get around. I remember feeling like that.

When I started this process the most important thing for me was getting rid of all my comorbitities so I could feel better. I honestly was not focused on how I looked at all. I simply wanted to feel better.

That happened so rapidly and now it is all about how I look and mostly what I can wear.

I used to hate hate hate shopping at all. Now I could spend the day in dressing rooms trying on clothes.

Last Friday while out looking for a sweater dress, the dressing rooms at Macy's were a mess. People trying on clothes simply left them all in the dressing rooms. I took 10 dresses in with me thinking I would struggle to find one that would fit me (my fat brain at work).

I tried on those 10 could have bought them all but didn't. Then, I started going through the clothes in the dressing room just so I could try on more to see if they would fit.

I could try clothes on all day everyday because I look great in clothes again!

Every once in a while I have to try on a pair of my original pants that are still in my closet to remind me how big I actually was.

It has made me so very grateful for my health! I had no idea how sick I was making myself and that it was actually possible to have enough energy to be active all day long!

being obese taught me to hate myself, to hide myself, to be embarrassed of myself. It taught me to not believe any compliment my husband ever gave me, it taught me to sit back and just take in the snide comments about my weight. Being obese taught me that moving around hurt and that the best thing was just to sit at home in front of the tv

I've lost 120lbs and I've noticed some changes and my family has told me they've noticed changes. I don't hate myself as much but I'm still self conscious. I'm more outgoing, I don't shy away from walking or going places that require walking. My family has told me that they've notices that I just seem happier in general

I don't think there is any grand lesson to be learned from obesity, but I found out that if you can appear confident at 300#, OMG, that big personality might need to be reined in a little. It is fascinating to me how I could be smiling smart ass when obese, make friends with men (never threatening) but act the same way when you look HAWT (ha) and it is interpreted differently.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS IS TOTALLY TRUE! I have that big outgoing personality and I always get away with saying things that others would be crucified for because I am the old fat lady (its cute). After my surgery I will just have to be normal with my husband and fake granny at work! LOL

Edited by MIMISAN

What has experiencing morbid obesity in life taught you?

That it can stop you from living life to the full

Is there anything you don't want to forget about your former life as you drop weight and hit goal?

Yes, everything. It will keep me focused.

What changes do you envision in your life just because of weight loss?

More intimacy with my husband, more clothes that I like rather then 'will do' (hurrah) and doing things I couldn't do before!!

@@Threetimesacharm

Obesity has taught me.

I presented to everyone around me that everything was fine.The secret I held to myself was my life was a struggle every day. In my most human moments I wondered if it was worth living. ( yes dramatic) My health and depression were bringing me down.

What I don't want to forget.

How I became absent from my own life. I withdrew from activity's and social events due to embarrassment and health issues

What did I envision.

The reality of what it is like to be at a normal weight is better than any fantasy's I had pre surgery. I'm honestly happy. The changes on the inside were the best part of my surgery. Life is amazing. I'm always up for new experiences.

The hardest lesson I learned during my 12 months journey that I am stronger than anything, and my will has no limitations. I lost 92 Ibs I am now 158 pounds I was never that skinny ever in my whole life. I feel younger, healthier, funnier and even smarter. The surgery didn't change my eating habits only it changed the way I even look at food. I don't enjoy eating or find comfort while eating as I used to. I am so grateful for the opportunity that I had to find the best in me and I am so thankful to my husband to pushed me to get gastric sleeve surgery that changed my entire life up side down. ❤️????❤️

Great topic ! I learned that im glad I never made fun of obese people when I was a normal weight, because karma is a Bitch !!! Later, I was the same person , but trapped in a way too large body that couldn't loose weight on its own. I learned to be VERY grateful that WLS exists, and that I had an excellent Dr. , medical staff, , insurance coverage, and a very supportive husband and family !!! On the lighter side, I learned the joy of rediscovering a strong healthy body, a happier me, the mirror, nice looks from people who think I look attractive, size 8 skinny jeans, no more embarrassing / uncomfortable situations due to my weight...........oh , I could just go on, but basically just living a happy, healthy life with a stronger body !!!

I never realized how many compromises I made in order to accommodate my weight and how much being overweight robbed me of health, relationships, and enjoyment of life. Just met an old friend who hadn't seen me in 6 months for a shopping trip. She was so surprised to see me almost 70 lbs lighter ( I didn't tell people about the surgery at first). And I was shocked to find that I could keep up with her now, ( she's like the energizer bunny) without having to sit down and rest! We split lunch and I stopped eating halfway thru because I was full. Before I would've eaten an entree and dessert. She noticed the difference.

I let that happen to myself through having a wrong relationship with food. Now, my appetite is more in balance and it doesn't rule my life. And I found out I love to exercise! Couldn't even think about it before without a shudder but now it makes me feel energized and it is sculpting my body to a much leaner appearance.

jenn1,

Great question!! It’s so important to appreciate what we have now, post-op, and to remember why we NEVER want to go back to pre-op weight, health, and habits again!

Let’s see…morbid obesity taught me a lot. It taught me that life feels awful when you don’t feel like the true “you” is showing through, like you’re trapped in that fat suit, to be cliché. Like Inner Surfer Girl said, though, it shaped me. I am able to be more understanding of people, whether they have a weight problem or other problems that they may get judged for.

I don’t want to forget the feeling of being ashamed of myself and hoping people would kindly close their eyes to my obvious problems. I don’t want to forget how much worse life was when it revolved around food. I don’t want to forget how out of control I felt in my life.

Losing weight taught me that people treat me differently at different weights. People are more likely to treat me with respect, whether consciously or subconsciously. And I am more confident at a lower weight; even though what I say and think may be the same, it comes out more easily.

My entire weight loss surgery journey has made possible my career. I now get to spend my days doing something I’m absolutely passionate about – helping weight loss surgery patients in one way or another, whether through maintaining the BariatricPal forums, networking with other WLS advocates, or meeting up with surgeons.

@@wannaBthinsoon I couldn't have said it better myself.

I actually find understanding and a connection with obese people now. It's sort of weird in a way. I also notice how other people look at obese people and want to smack them. They have no idea what it was like to be obese and how it affected everything that you do but it's not who you are. I am what others would call "normal" now, still overweight but not obese. It's funny how I am noticed more and treated differently because of my looks.