Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Fills / Adjustment Info

Ard.

I just had my second fill and it hurt like the dickens! So did my first fill and so did the novacaine shots. She found the port but couldn't get the needle to go in. She says my port is tilted so she tried again and finally got it. Dang!!

Hi Gailannr,

My second fill is scheduled for 6/19. The nurse said it will be better. I hope she's right. I went to work right after having it done and started feeling pain like I had after having the surgery. I had to leave work early and go home to lay down.

hi, i read things on this site, good site for info.which i need,however i am so afraid of the fills, that seeing this did help my fear. i really have a thing about needles,how does the dr.know know where to stick you for the fill,does it take several times sticking you?i don't have a date yet, so i'm reading everything i can.so, will i make it ok with the fills? thanks, nancy

Hello,

I had the second fill today. It did not hurt at all. I may be too restricted. Im having problems with drinking Water. Im on Clear Liquids for 24 hrs. If it doesnt get better tomorrow Im gonna check in with my Dr.

ARD - this is what scares me!

I have to drive 5 hours to see my doctor down in Houston. I can't turn around and go back if there's an issue the next day. My fills are all included in the price for the first year so I certainly want to use my same doctor that did the surgery.

I'm hoping since I'm an out-of-towner that he'll not be too conservative on the fill but also spend some time to see how "it takes".

Hi Wombat712, I posted this message on 6/22/07: I went back to my Dr this a.m. He said I was tooooo tight so he took out 1cc and left in 2.8 cc. He was glad I didn't wait any longer because I lost 9 lbs since the fill on Tuesday. I told him I started throwing up everything including Water. I was headed for dehydration. Now I feel like my old self again</p>

Hi, I just had my first fill today. He gave me 3 cc's under flouro. I felt nothing, and was able to drink Water right away. But on the way home, I started feeling a little bloated and some tightness in my chest. I also have some pain when I burp (or try to) up in my chest area. Is this normal? Maybe just a reaction to an irritated stomach for the fill?

I'd appreciate any info!

Thanks!!

Hi Lisa0522,

I feel a little weird the day of and day after a fill. I seem to keep burping like I have acid reflux. Make sure you still get your fluids down. If you cant then please make sure you call your Dr. Hopefully I get a fill tomorrow. Been getting very hungry alot lately.

I am almost 4 weeks out and I have lost 22 pounds. I haven't lost any weight for the past week. Once you get through all the liquid part, you can eat mushy's and then softs. This has been hard for me as I am more restricted than before, but I can still eat more than I should. It has been hard for me. I look forward to my first fill.

My advice, which I haven't followed very well, is to stay with the low carb high Protein and find what works. I am so afraid that I am going to stretch out my stomach. Any comments on what I have said is appreciated. Especially the stretching stomach part.

Thanks.

I have been reading different forums and have felt very fortunate in my experiences so far. I only stayed overnight after surgery, no extra pain meds needed, only missed 2 days of work, didn't gain in the "post-surgery and can eat too much" stage, had a 1 cc fill and felt restriction. I lost 4.7 lbs the 2 weeks after the first fill. THEN the Dr and I discussed and decided on just a half cc fill on August 1st. Now I hurt with most everything I eat. I am trying to make good choices and chew and chew and wait between bites. The main things that don't hurt are mashed potatoes, Ensure/liquids, salmon, and very strangely a few peanut M & M's. I thought the band would loosen when I lost some weight, but that doesn't seem to be happening. I guess I just need to get input on if I should call or wait a couple more days. I have lost about 3 lbs this last week, but I feel good-except the lingering ache on my back after something gets a little stuck. I am drinking Water and even found a whey Protein Powder that I like so dehydration is not a concern.

So give me your opinion, please.

Nancy54 :faint:

My doc is very conservative with the fills. His office is in closer proximity to me than some of your doctors are to you.

I feel the tiny stick for the novocaine but only a little pressure from the fill itself. I do not ever feel bad afterwards and in fact, I always have the fill around 4 PM and then I go home and have dinner. I have never stuck with soft foods or liquids after a fill. I think all of this is attributed to his very conservative approach. But of course I'm only guessing.

Btw, immediately after the fill, they have me drink about 2 oz. of herbal tea just to make sure there's no problem.

I hope you all can figure out the code and stop having problems with your fills! We shouldn't be afraid to get a fill. We should look forward to it when we think we need it.

I have a fill scheduled tomorrow- It was scheduled 3/31!! I called monday 4/16 to verify- Ins company has no record of receiving request for it. Office says they sent it 4/4. so it gets resent on 4/17!! The office calls and says that precert from my ppo has not been recieved. They want to reschedule my fill! BS!!!!! they said even though I will pay for it- they have to have denial to allow that! NOT SO!! i called today and the ins said, it was not resubmitted as rush- I could go just realize that i may have to pay for it if medical review finds not medically necessary. Im getting my fill in the am- ins or pay- THATS not fair- it is NOT in my control!! Sorry for the rant...

Any suggestions? Am I out of line??

Do you by chance have Cigna Ins? I do, and the dr's office said that's the only one that they have had that makes them do that, it is such BS...

Lizgroover: If you are starving, it sounds like you are not getting enough Protein. What kind of diet are you on? My doctor's office asks us to use a whey protein powder to mix up a shake and I was never hungry until about 6 weeks out from surgery. (And I have the appetite of a bear!) There are lots of different shake mixes out there. The one I use tastes good but isn't available in stores. You can buy it online though. I have never bought it online because it is available thru my doctor. It's called Peak Performance.