Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, more that a little miffed. A bit of advice/help would be welcome.

I had a LRNY GB on 05OCT2015. So as of today I am 22 days post. Down 32 pounds by my scale since the day of surgery, things were going really well until the end of last week. I weighed in on Friday as I always do, was down another 8 pounds and was happy. Then..... I gained a pound. Then another. As of this morning I am .8 lbs below last Friday's weigh in, but here is the thing:

I was walking 5.21 miles every morning. (my body decided it likes the Military routine, so I have been getting up at 0400, not by choice)

I eat < 800 calories a day.

I consume > 100 grams of medical grade Protein (Unjury) daily

I take in somewhere between 70-100 oz of Water a day.

I usually have a Protein shake in the am prior to my walk

For lunch it's another shake or perhaps a yogurt.

dinner, well, it was shakes until last week, I had Ricotta bake twice, and have been eating refried Beans and cheese for the past two nights.

I upped my am walk from 5.21 miles to 6.75 miles as 5.21 was just too easy, I had it down to a little over 1.5 hours and my heart rate was not high enough for long enough, by tacking on another trail (lots of hills!), before 10:00 I have 16K steps, 140 highly active minutes, about 7 miles traveled, 15 or so flights of stairs (I told you lots of hills on the new trail).

By days, end I have burned no less than 4000 calories.

HOW CAN I NOT BE LOSING WEIGHT?

4000 calories out, 800 in, is a 3200 calorie deficit, that's 1 pound a day. I don't get it, and I am starting to get really put out by this.

So what is going on? Any advice before I go postal and adopt an Ethiopian diet of 200 calories a day and go into open revolt against my body?

One (bordering on TMI) caveat, I am not having a daily BM or even every other day, I went from volcano ass, to solid BM's, but they have all but stopped, last one was 2 or 3 days ago. Back on Miralax this morning, I gotta get regular.

I had a LRNY GB on 05OCT2015. So as of today I am 22 days post. Down 32 pounds by my scale since the day of surgery, things were going really well until the end of last week. I weighed in on Friday as I always do, was down another 8 pounds and was happy. Then..... I gained a pound. Then another. As of this morning I am .8 lbs below last Friday's weigh in, but here is the thing:

I was walking 5.21 miles every morning. (my body decided it likes the Military routine, so I have been getting up at 0400, not by choice)

I eat < 800 calories a day.

I consume > 100 grams of medical grade Protein (Unjury) daily

I take in somewhere between 70-100 oz of Water a day.

I usually have a Protein shake in the am prior to my walk

For lunch it's another shake or perhaps a yogurt.

dinner, well, it was shakes until last week, I had Ricotta bake twice, and have been eating refried Beans and cheese for the past two nights.

I upped my am walk from 5.21 miles to 6.75 miles as 5.21 was just too easy, I had it down to a little over 1.5 hours and my heart rate was not high enough for long enough, by tacking on another trail (lots of hills!), before 10:00 I have 16K steps, 140 highly active minutes, about 7 miles traveled, 15 or so flights of stairs (I told you lots of hills on the new trail).

By days, end I have burned no less than 4000 calories.

HOW CAN I NOT BE LOSING WEIGHT?

4000 calories out, 800 in, is a 3200 calorie deficit, that's 1 pound a day. I don't get it, and I am starting to get really put out by this.

So what is going on? Any advice before I go postal and adopt an Ethiopian diet of 200 calories a day and go into open revolt against my body?

One (bordering on TMI) caveat, I am not having a daily BM or even every other day, I went from volcano ass, to solid BM's, but they have all but stopped, last one was 2 or 3 days ago. Back on Miralax this morning, I gotta get regular.

Defies logic, doesn't it? But it happens, and trying to figure out why and beat it will drive you mad. You are not even a month post op. Relax, keep doing what you are doing and you'll lose. I didn't even begin to exercise until 6-8 weeks post op. Yup, I had two small gains, I see them as stalls. I never stand still, I gain then lose when I stall.

I'm always cautionary to folks who kick exercise into high gear right away... Your body will seek more activity as you lose, but if you feel it's sustainable then go for it. I'm just not the 2-3 hours a day to work out type person.

@@dhrguru

Thank you for reminding me, I too never stand still. It's another trick I discovered, if I am waiting for a bus or anything, I am walking laps. The people at the bus station think I am a meth head, but whatever, I get there 15 minutes early, and walk laps around the building for 15 minutes until my bus is ready. Same thing with a Doctors appointment, if I am 1/2 hour early, i'll go outside and walk around the building for 25 minutes then head back inside.

This developed not so much as a healthy choice, it hurts to sit for long periods, I had no ass before surgery, now, it's worse. lol.

Sounds like a combination of a stall and muscle gain. Muscle weighs more than fat, and you're about due for the legendary stall. Keep eating right and working out and you'll get past the stall. No worries.

Sounds like a combination of a stall and muscle gain. Muscle weighs more than fat, and you're about due for the legendary stall. Keep eating right and working out and you'll get past the stall. No worries.

Tell me more about this "Legendary Stall"......... please.

It's talked about in the support groups. Even mentioned on here quite a bit. Here's from searching "legendary stall." You'll probably find a host of threads by just searching "stall." It's quite common, almost to the point of being expected.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&section=search&do=search&fromsearch=1

@@MeMe8264

Now I feel like a tool for not searching. I did google it, but kept coming up with sleeve results, and I expect that is different than RNY BP.

Thanks

Muscle mass; body adjusting. Don't weigh in so often; you won't notice it so much.

Muscle mass; body adjusting. Don't weigh in so often; you won't notice it so much.

The first part I guess I get. The second, that's going to be hard. I look forward to getting on the scale, it's like my own little reward for everything I have been through the day(s) prior. Perhaps, for this week, I am better off just checking on Friday and either being happy or really pissed, lol.

Believe me; I get it. I am an IDIOT and some times weigh in multiple times a day. So I'm not preaching; just sharing things that might help. Hell, I want to take credit for a good s*&t!!

it's the infamous "three-week stall" - right on time! Mine lasted two weeks.

I realized that I only lost 2 lbs in 3 weeks. I took someone's advice here and upped my calories just a tab and lost 5 lbs quickly. I am also 8 weeks out so I can eat a little more than you can. I find this whole process to be very frustrating and I know I shouldn't because I've lost 35 lbs and that's more than I would have been able to do on my own.

Dude, that is a TON of exercise for a body recovering from surgery.

I'm preop, so I have no personal experience with the 3-week stall, but postop recovery is something I get paid to help people through. Quite honestly, I'd back off on the exercise and see whether your NUT recommends upping your intake based on the amount of exercise you're doing.

Your body is no doubt VERY confused on a cellular level. You're trying to build new cells to heal and breaking them down with so much exercise. In another three weeks or so, you may be ready to take on this much, but I really, really urge you to slow down. Your body's primary job right now is to heal from surgery, not get up the next hill.

I realize it's kinda counterintuitive, but it's true. Yeah, you only had a few bandaids on the outside, but there's a whole lot of work going on inside. For now, stop focusing on your heart rate and how long you stay there. Try backing off both on mileage and how fast you're walking by about 20-25%. Not forever, just for a couple-three weeks. Then gradually build up again.

Let your body catch up to your motivation, OK? Good luck!

Yes, you have hit the jackpot. You have a stall happening and your exercise building muscle is actually heavier because muscle holds on to that Water.

These stalls can be very frustrating but I promise, it will break. Just stay the course, follow the plan to the letter.

I know when I hit my first stall (there have been many), both my trainer and my nut told me the same thing. Back off the exercise by 15 minutes, increase my caloric intake from 500 to 700 using Protein rich foods and stay off the scale if it was going to make me crazy.

I have since learned to stay the course and it will all work out.

At just under 3 weeks post op I gained weight then stalled for a week and a half. I wanted to scream. I felt like I was doing something wrong. After reading about this infamous "3 week stall" on here, then double checking that I was getting in all of my Protein, Water, & Vitamins, and making sure I was getting some exercise daily, I just let it go. I started weighing in only once a week and also started doing my measurements once a week. It sucked but apparently it really is just part of the process. If you know you are doing things the way you should be, trust that your body is behaving the way it should. I know that's WAY easier said then done but hopefully if enough people tell you they have been there, done that and it's normal you'll be able to get through it a little easier. It really does sound like you're doing great, keep it up! :)