Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, more that a little miffed. A bit of advice/help would be welcome.

What you are experiencing is the first, and most predictable, of the many stalls you will experience.

Stalls are a natural, necessary, and normal part of the process.

As other's have suggested above, you might need to look at increasing your calories and reducing your exercise. What does your NUT advise?

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

@2goldengirl I was walking 12-14K steps a day while still in the Hospital. At my two week check in, my Doctor wanted to know what I was up to, and I told him I had stepped back, slowed down, and he admonished me, he told me to get out and get pushing!

He'll be thrilled I have increased my walk, and it's really just that, a long walk. I drink 32oz of Water while doing it and wear a long, tight undershirt that holds my fat in place, so I am not jiggling.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it though, but the more I read it sounds like the dreaded three week stall, and there is not a lot I can do about it, except keep at it.

:)

@@Inner Surfer Girl

I have not spoken to my NUT since this just began at the end of last week and persisted over the weekend. She was off yesterday, I expect a call from her today.

That being said, she is super easy going. I do not have an eat between x and y calorie target. It's just don't overdo it.

The topic I had for her is when is it best to drink my am Protein shake, before or after my walk. There are a ton of articles both ways, I think before makes more sense though.

@@Inner Surfer Girl

Great article, Embrace the Stall. I lost a great deal of weight very quickly after surgery, and I was not being very active, because, bascially everyone was screaming at me to back off, and heal. So I did. Two week Doctors appointment, he admonished me for not pushing the limits of my walking. I was walking 5.2 miles in the am, every day for a year before surgery, it just was not a challenge anymore, I mean my heart rate was not even breaking 100. So, I added 1.5 miles and now it's a great workout again.

But I get the stall thing more, now. I still feel like a tool because I did not research it prior to posting.

Thanks for the help and direction.

@@winklie I was an Oct 1st surgery and the 3-week stall hit me last Monday. From Monday through Friday I did not lose a single pound. Like you my diet was on point... around 700 calories, hitting my Protein requirement and getting enough Water... although I'm not walking nearly as much as you. I did not weight myself this weekend, but as of this morning the scale finally moved. Down 5 lbs compared to last Monday. I bet the stall breaks for you soon.

@@goblue9280

From your mouth to my scales ear......

I have decided to just avoid the damned scale until Friday. I mean it's mathematically impossible to run a 3K calorie deficit every day and not lose weight. Backed up intestines, or Water retention will add some, but at some point that has to give as well.

I am just over 6 weeks out and have twice had minor gains where I did not lose. I then dropped the weight and am continuing on a downward treck. I don't know how you have the energy to exercise so much; for me I just can't do so much yet, only walking. I don't agree with increasing your calories yet, I don't know about you but physically I can't consume anymore than I do and I am around 700 calories also. Keep calories low remember you are in the honeymoon phase; you want to make the most of it!!

@@Threetimesacharm

20 years in New York. I don't drive, I walk everywhere. I was also in the military and despite having more vehicles that you can count, they LOOOOOOVE to march everywhere. I just have very strong legs and a ton of stamina. I shoot for about 700 calories a day, some days I am under, some over. I don't feel any massive restriction when I eat, I feel as if I could go on, but I weigh my portions and eat what I supposed to eat. I am also fully aware of the Honeymoon period, in fact I yelled at just about everyone who told me to back off post op, when my Surgeon was like WTF, get marching! I told them all, they cost me 2 weeks of time I will never get back, and while well intentioned, unless any of my friends suddenly becomes a Doctor to more or less either support me or STFU when it comes to what I am doing.

I just got off the phone with my NUT and she has no issues whatsoever with my increase in mileage in my AM walk. In fact when I gave her the numbers, HR, Cadence, speed, time, she was very happy.

Next week I start stage 4 of the diet, and that is when things will start to get interesting. As I can eat real food again, and actually chew, lol.

Thanks to everyone who posted, but as I said before, I feel like a tool for not using the search feature, this is a well documented things, the stall that is.

The ups and downs and stand stills happen! I weigh almost everyday and I have since surgery. I graph it in myfitnesspal and when I go through a week of up/down/up/down, I look back at my graph and am reminded how normal it is and that my overall graph has gone down over 90lbs in 5 months. Frustrating and real at the same time! Keep up the great work!!

Sounds like you know what your doing! All the best.

@@Threetimesacharm

20 years in New York. I don't drive, I walk everywhere. I was also in the military and despite having more vehicles that you can count, they LOOOOOOVE to march everywhere. I just have very strong legs and a ton of stamina. I shoot for about 700 calories a day, some days I am under, some over. I don't feel any massive restriction when I eat, I feel as if I could go on, but I weigh my portions and eat what I supposed to eat. I am also fully aware of the Honeymoon period, in fact I yelled at just about everyone who told me to back off post op, when my Surgeon was like WTF, get marching! I told them all, they cost me 2 weeks of time I will never get back, and while well intentioned, unless any of my friends suddenly becomes a Doctor to more or less either support me or STFU when it comes to what I am doing.

I just got off the phone with my NUT and she has no issues whatsoever with my increase in mileage in my AM walk. In fact when I gave her the numbers, HR, Cadence, speed, time, she was very happy.

Next week I start stage 4 of the diet, and that is when things will start to get interesting. As I can eat real food again, and actually chew, lol.

Thanks to everyone who posted, but as I said before, I feel like a tool for not using the search feature, this is a well documented things, the stall that is.

"Volcano ass" hahaha funny!!

Don't look at the scale for a few weeks during this period of time. Keep doing what you are doing, up your Protein a bit, an extra shake. Stalls happen and it's just your body being stubborn. Focus on, NSV's, take measurements, how you feel and how your clothes fit during this period. The scale will move, just be patient :)

I feel like such an idiot, but the allure of hitting the scale proved too much for me this morning......

Down 4 pounds. And that is after pee number one, I don't know about all of you, but I get so much liquid in me that my "floor weight" cannot be determined until after pee number two in the am. At least the scale did not go up! I have two more days this week to lose weight before my official weight in on Friday morning.

I'd go for my am walk, but it's 03:15 and fargin cold outside, oh and dark. The park system where I walk is great, however, it's massive and reclusive, and a number of homeless setup tents in the woods and sleep there overnight. Between 0500 and 0600 when the local corner stores open, they start drinking, I've had to put down several, let me restate, I was forced to take aggressive action to subdue drunken idiots on several occasions. No police, I was also kind enough not to break any bones or do any serious damage, just make my point "Don't F with me" and move along. My fear, is the duo, one or two of which is armed, I can drop one quick, but if the second pulls a (insert weapon here) I don't know how casually I would take it. And honestly the last thing I need is to be on the news for killing an armed homeless alcoholic. Thusly the end of an overly long paragraph is I try to avoid the park before the sun comes up, as the homeless take down their tents and move out before the police begin patrols.

I guess tomorrow will be the real testing point. If I continue to lose weight, the stall lasted nearly a week, if not it's still going on, and today was just a 'teaser'. BTW my NUT indicated that "The Dreaded Three Week Stall" happens for a reason. She said, "You ever notice how it's always right after a dietary change?" then she went on to describe a variety of different dietary reasons that could cause a stall, but her logic was sound. This did not happen until the day I began eating pureed foods instead of liquids. I am not saying it's not real, obviously it is, nor am I saying that anyone is doing anything wrong, it may just be, the body reacting to a new diet component or something.

Anyway, Thanks for those who posted.

@@winklie If all else fails, take a post-it note, write down in big numbers how much you think you should weigh this week, put it over the readout of the scale... then step on the scale.< /p>

@@winklie Stop calling yourself a tool - LOL! Reading how much you walk has literally exhausted me. I wasn't allowed to exercise until month #2 so imagine how that would've had your stress levels up?!

Now for my 2nd point and I'm sure you may already know this AND I mean no disrespect to whomever stated earlier that muscle weighs more than fat. Here's the perfect explanation I found online: "Muscle does not weigh more than fat, any more than lead weighs more than feathers. A pound is a pound is a pound. Where the misunderstanding often comes in is that muscle is much more dense than fat, so that, by volume, it seems to weigh more. That is, a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat." I too have had stalls and they always work themselves out.

I took pics and measured my body at several points before surgery, at 3 months & 6 months post-op so far. Being 54 years young and Class III Morbidly Obese at the beginning, this was NOT easy to do but I knew I'd never have to look that way again and I'm so glad I did! That's where I can see a huge difference. That scale may lie to us because of the fluctuation in Water our bodies hold (after all the human body is 70% water) but those pics and that tape measure will tell the truth every time :D I'm currently residing in the Class I obesity realm and have lost 17" in my waist alone - Yippee!

Now I have a question for you ... what are you going to eat now that you can sink your teeth into some "soft" stage food???

post-236324-0-87950900-1446066594_thumb.jpg

Edited by beachgal2935

@@goblue9280

I absolutely love this idea!!!!!!