Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Home update/redecorating

@@Babbs mentioned she is enjoys staging homes/redecorating. I am sure there are others of you that have some skills/experience in this area. I have a "vision" but now that the basic remodel is mostly done, I am thinking about furniture, area rugs, furniture layout, ways to keep things clean and organized, color schemes etc. I am curious what resources might be useful to give ideas and validate my thoughts! i have perused some stuff on HGTV etc but wondering if there is something that is a practical guide that doesn't take hours and hours of loooking. I actually thought about going to "open houses" looking at homes staged for sale to get ideas.

It has taken years, but my home transformation is mirroriing my inner transformation. I am getting rid of things that no longer support the life I want to live. It is hard, like letting go of the fat clothes, but letting go of "stuff" that represents a life I don't lead anymore is what i need to do in order to more fully live THIS life.

Okay, I might NEVER be able to part with the little girl angel "decorator" plates my mother collected. In her final years, she started to see that little girl angel decor as almost like memories of her daughters as little ones and how she saw them. As a decorator item, does not fit my style, but an example of something that I have such a difficult time letting go because when I look at them, I think of how she saw them... However, I have some similar things that I CAN let go of and I so look forward to having a clean contemporary look and feel!

I have done lots of remodeling the last 2 years - master bath, then kitchen and guest bath and then living / dining room (all in stages). I had a decorator help me, but I started by searching Houzz.com and Pinterest and just pinned anything I liked the look of. Then I went back and looked at that board (I had one for each room) and realized my "style" was revealed by seeing all the similarities in the posts.

Hope that helps!

Oh I know my style but too low budget for decorators...it's the details I need help with!

@@CowgirlJane, since you already know what you want, I guess I'm not sure of what you're asking. Please clarify what you mean by "details." The smaller, decorative items?

Laurie

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

I have a clear idea of the overall "look" I prefer but I would like suggestions on how to approach the details. i like something that is a bit like what is described as "transitional" but I tend to like a bit more color pop than the brown on tan neutral. I like that clean, simple uncluttered look - but I want it feel comfortable too. When I go look at furniture - lets use a sectional sofa as an example - it looks and feels comfy but I feel like it will also appear very bulky and "heavy" in the space. I am not really sure and I don't want to buy it and then discover...ooops.

I have furniture, rugs, wall art etc that I might want to reuse/recycle but also open to purchasing new. My house changed alot, the floor plan, flow of traffic and energy is really different. What I have done in the meantime is put my existing furniture on little skids so I can move it around and try to get the feeling of how it will flow with different arrangements before I start buying.

It has been my expierence that designers are good at identifying the details that support the vision... like how to bring it all together or perhaps to try something that a person might not have considered.

I don't think anyone can actually advise on it without seeing it (even pictures are very hard to work with) so I think going to staged homes/open houses might be a good source for inspiration.

There are decorators who can advise you on how to incorporate your existing possessions with an update. You might see if you can find someone who can offer you a consultation for a flat fee. Also, if you are planning to buy some furniture, the furniture store might have some design services.

If you can afford it, it would be worth it to get a professional plan for traffic flow, wall colors, and lighting.

My sister used a design consultant for the basics and it made a huge difference.

In the meantime, I agree with the Pinterest suggestion. You can also make a good old-fashioned paper vision board by reading some decorating and lifestyle magazines and catalogs, and tearing out pictures for what you like.

I would also ignore prices when you are envisioning your space/style. It's my opinion that you can find lots of great stuff at a whole range of prices.

As for details, start with measurements.

Measure your spaces.

Write down what you want to accomplish with each space. Form follows function! Do you need places for conversation? Watching tv? Etc.

Make a list of what you need: furniture, lighting, storage, floor covering, window treatment, etc.

Then you can assess what you already have. Make sure that you try to keep what you really love and use. If you have something that isn't useful or gives you joy, then you don't need it.

Make a list of what is left.

Match that list to what you need to see what is left. This will give you a pretty good shopping list.

Again, when shopping (whether it's at a flea market, garage sale, discount furniture store, catalog, or high-end store), don't buy anything that you don't absolutely love or need.

This sounds like such a fun project.

Without specific questions, pictures, and an idea of your tastes, needs, and budget, it would be impossible to offer you more specific advise.

All that is great! It made me think that I know some furniture stores actually will do design consult for free when you buy your furniture there. Not sure where you are but look and see if you have a Bassets Furniture. Great transitional stuff and free design. My house is mostly transitional. I redid with muted blues, greens and tans and some white mixed in.

@@Inner Surfer Girl tore through the process so thoroughly and professionally that I enjoyed the read and will keep it for whenever I do some redecorating.

I'll add a couple of things. Re: measurements, you can find on line floor plans with furniture and fixtures in varying scales. Little 3D kits are also available to purchase; I'm under the impression that the furniture is like scaled-down dollhouse furniture. Or you can go completely downscale as I did years ago before the advent of the internet. Measure your rooms and, using graph paper, cut them out to scale. Paste on cardboard for durability and portability. I measured furniture and things that go on the floor, outlined them on graph paper and pasted onto cardboard, then cut out the individual pieces. Certainly go more than one graph square per foot -- you want something you can see and play with. On each "wall" mark its width. Don't forget indentations in walls and window and door positions. Also keep a note of window & door measurements, distance from top of window frame to ceiling; ceiling heights; etc. I know you know this, but in our haste and excitement, it's easy to omit important data. Carry your scaled kit when you go to stores.

Carry fabric swatches with you. Always. Even to the movies.

A Pantone color wheel is a handy thing to have, but costly. Pick up lots of the paint store's color chip strips. Carry them to the movies, too.

Carry a 6' or 12' measuring tape. You never know when you'll pass an unexpected yard sale or some such. A magnet, too. Sometimes you want to know if a metal item attracts. If it's not part of your knowledge, keep a list of which metals do and which don't. It may come in handy.

@@CowgirlJane, one tangential thing. Your comment in another topic (you know) about not having the top of someone's head to gaze upon these days makes me think you're single? Worthwhile men fall in love with a woman who carries a 6' or 12' foot tape and a magnet in her bag at all times just in case. I learned this when, years ago, I began carrying them for purposes of furniture-hunting and I decided to continue afterward. If not fully in love, at least they think those items are elements in what makes a perfect, surprising woman.

I've never been clear on what means transitional furniture or decor. Someone please explain.

Laurie

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch