Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post surgery food addictions and surgery blues

This sounds counter-intuitive, but I spent a lot of time pinning low carb, high Protein recipes. Seeing all of the delicious foods I could still eat, helped me care less about the "junk" I shouldn't have anymore.

~*~ Find me on YouTube: Trisha's Sleeve Story ~*~

I think this totally helps. I spent 30 minutes watching youtube vidoes on making things with cauliflower etc... I am trying to be as prepared as I can for when I can start easing back into "solid" foods. Really it's not that I am craving having bad foods- I am basically craving the taste of anything that I can't have on my liquid diet because I am bored with it right now. LOL

I am one month out and have gone through the exact same thing. I have really good days and really bad days...now that I can eat a little more I find myself thinking about slipping up, and other days I have trouble remembering to eat at all... it is just a tool, we still have to do the work...good luck.

Dreamable, good luck!! I am literally in the same boat as you in terms of cravings. I have been thinking about everything under the sun. They have become less frequent though. Today my cravings were falafel smothered in hot sauce and a big ole bowl of Greek salad. 2 week liquid only is very tough but you can do it!!! I got bored of the chicken broth quite fast and I think it was part of the reason my mood gets sour here and there. I should clarify, the first week for me was Clear Liquids only. For the next 17 days I can only have pureed vegetable Soups, the yoghurt drink and apple juice, no solids yet.

Thanks! I realize this phase will pass too. Each day is one day closer. I am on liquids for 2 weeks- but they allow Jello-o (since at room temperature it's a liquid), chicken broth, cream of chicken powdered/puree type Soup, popsicles, powdered smoothie mix, drink mixes (crystal light etc...) and Protein drinks/powders. Just feel like I have run out of new options and I am already sick of everything LOL. One more week until I can have pureed foods and I cannot wait. Can you have hummus? Falafal sounds so good right now, thanks! LOL

Popsicles were not mentioned to me and I am not allowed any fruit :( Apparently this is so that I don't shock my stomach with fruits that have too much acidity and end up uncomfortable. I can have Jello, custard and a middle eastern type milk, orange blossom Water, mastic pudding. I know it sounds strange but it is very delicious. Also I would very highly recommend adding a drop or 2 of orange blossom Water to your glass of water if you are having a hard time drinking it. It is an acquired taste so do be forewarned!! However it has also proven to be very soothing to the stomach. I have read around these forums that people do eat hummus but if I were you I would ask the doctor as well as check the packaging before buying it. Different hummus brands are made in different ways and some are healthier than others!! For example, I am on a trip to the Middle East right now and I would avoid the hummus here as much as I can because the way they make it is very fatty. However, if I was back at home in Canada, I would be more likely to buy hummus because it is made and geared as a healthy food. Same with the falafel, I would not eat falafel because it is deep fried here. I would think we are not allowed to eat falafel in the pureed food period anyway!

On another note, I just realized that you and I had our surgeries in the exact same day!!

Dreamable, good luck!! I am literally in the same boat as you in terms of cravings. I have been thinking about everything under the sun. They have become less frequent though. Today my cravings were falafel smothered in hot sauce and a big ole bowl of Greek salad. 2 week liquid only is very tough but you can do it!!! I got bored of the chicken broth quite fast and I think it was part of the reason my mood gets sour here and there. I should clarify, the first week for me was clear liquids only. For the next 17 days I can only have pureed vegetable Soups, the yoghurt drink and apple juice, no solids yet.

Thanks! I realize this phase will pass too. Each day is one day closer. I am on liquids for 2 weeks- but they allow Jello-o (since at room temperature it's a liquid), chicken broth, cream of chicken powdered/puree type Soup, popsicles, powdered smoothie mix, drink mixes (crystal light etc...) and Protein drinks/powders. Just feel like I have run out of new options and I am already sick of everything LOL. One more week until I can have pureed foods and I cannot wait. Can you have hummus? Falafal sounds so good right now, thanks! LOL

Popsicles were not mentioned to me and I am not allowed any fruit :( Apparently this is so that I don't shock my stomach with fruits that have too much acidity and end up uncomfortable. I can have Jello, custard and a middle eastern type milk, orange blossom Water, mastic pudding. I know it sounds strange but it is very delicious. Also I would very highly recommend adding a drop or 2 of orange blossom Water to your glass of water if you are having a hard time drinking it. It is an acquired taste so do be forewarned!! However it has also proven to be very soothing to the stomach. I have read around these forums that people do eat hummus but if I were you I would ask the doctor as well as check the packaging before buying it. Different hummus brands are made in different ways and some are healthier than others!! For example, I am on a trip to the Middle East right now and I would avoid the hummus here as much as I can because the way they make it is very fatty. However, if I was back at home in Canada, I would be more likely to buy hummus because it is made and geared as a healthy food. Same with the falafel, I would not eat falafel because it is deep fried here. I would think we are not allowed to eat falafel in the pureed food period anyway!

On another note, I just realized that you and I had our surgeries in the exact same day!!

Awesome- hello surgery buddy! Are on the Oct 19th Surgery thread that has been going on for a few weeks now? I don't buy hummus, I always have just made my own :P Yes, my surgeon said we are allowed to have sugar free popsicles in the early stages for a few reasons (1) they count as your liquid intake [each one is almost 2oz] (2) because you eat them slowly, it helps so you aren't gulping etc... (3) Eating them so far has been really soothing on my stomach, which often times gets upset when I eat different temperature foods (4) They just taste good, and are like getting a special treat. I have been using sugar free drink mixes (like Crystal Light) to flavor my water. I love water and the taste- and thankfully still love it after surgery, so that part isn't a big deal for me.

Optimally, my goal is at 6 months to be completely weaned off Protein drinks and the "crap" like the drink mixes, jello's and powdered Protein smoothies. I really much prefer to eat more fresh vegetables than anything. So I am excited for that :)

p.s. I am jealous you are in the middle east right now! I am in Michigan in the States, and we always joke we might as well be Canada sometimes- we have similar enough weather that's for sure! LOL

Dreamable, good luck!! I am literally in the same boat as you in terms of cravings. I have been thinking about everything under the sun. They have become less frequent though. Today my cravings were falafel smothered in hot sauce and a big ole bowl of Greek salad. 2 week liquid only is very tough but you can do it!!! I got bored of the chicken broth quite fast and I think it was part of the reason my mood gets sour here and there. I should clarify, the first week for me was clear liquids only. For the next 17 days I can only have pureed vegetable Soups, the yoghurt drink and apple juice, no solids yet.

Awesome- hello surgery buddy! Are on the Oct 19th Surgery thread that has been going on for a few weeks now? I don't buy hummus, I always have just made my own :P Yes, my surgeon said we are allowed to have sugar free popsicles in the early stages for a few reasons (1) they count as your liquid intake [each one is almost 2oz] (2) because you eat them slowly, it helps so you aren't gulping etc... (3) Eating them so far has been really soothing on my stomach, which often times gets upset when I eat different temperature foods (4) They just taste good, and are like getting a special treat. I have been using sugar free drink mixes (like Crystal Light) to flavor my water. I love water and the taste- and thankfully still love it after surgery, so that part isn't a big deal for me.

Optimally, my goal is at 6 months to be completely weaned off Protein drinks and the "crap" like the drink mixes, jello's and powdered protein smoothies. I really much prefer to eat more fresh vegetables than anything. So I am excited for that :)

p.s. I am jealous you are in the middle east right now! I am in Michigan in the States, and we always joke we might as well be Canada sometimes- we have similar enough weather that's for sure! LOL

sorry for the late response! I think it is so great that you make your own hummus. Personally I cannot wait to have some middle eastern garlic paste. It a white, tangy garlic paste made out of crushed garlic, lemon, vegetable oil of some sort and salt. It's obviously no carb but does have fat in the form of vegetable oil but I wouldn't mind just a little taste. My surgeon did not suggest the popsicles! If sounds pretty good. My only thing so far is that cold water makes me sick so I guess that would include popsicles. I am having a very hard time getting my daily water intake. Are you drinking Protein shakes? This is another thing my surgeon did not suggest. My diet is: 1 week clear liquids, 2 weeks thick vegetable soups, clear soups, apple juice, low fat plain yogurt, custard, milk pudding only twice a week in the place of juice. Then 10 days of two spoons of rice with soft vegetables and thin Tomato sauce or yoghurt and fitness Cereal with low fat milk but have to wait for the Cereal to soften along with anything mentioned before. No meat or cheeses, no fruit and I was at first a little surprised that he is allowing a small carb intake but his patients so far have been very successful so I am optimistic. Middle East has been great so far!! I know that there are some conceptions that it might be dangerous/problematic at the moment but I am currently in nice, conflict free countries so it's been a blast. I have heard a lot of things about the Michigan winter! As a fellow survivor of snow storms and really cold wind, do you ever worry that you might have to buy a new coat soon with the weight loss? Also what kind of post op diet are you on?

Where do you get orange blossom Water? Is that a Middle Eastern thing or can you get it in the U.S.?

definitely can get it in Canada so I assume the same in the US. Go to the international food sections at your grocery store or look for a middle eastern grocer in your area and they are guaranteed to have it. Orange blossom water is different from Rose water so be careful to get the right one. In Arabic its roughly called "Ma'a Zaher". Another tip, it is quite strong so make sure to add a drop at most at first to see how you like it! Wikipedia has a good coverage on what it's all about.

Thank you for this post! I was recently sleeved on 10/26/15 and my emotions are all over the place. I cried today. The change is so drastic and so fast. I've talked to several people who are months and years out and they assure me that it's normal to feel that way. I second guessed my decision every since I got out of surgery. I'm 25..am I doing this too young? Will I have health complications? A year from now will I b able to have a donut without being condemned? Lol

Right now we are grieving a loss and that can be rough. I hope days will get better...no .I know days will get better. And we will look back at this and laugh. Good luck!

Thank you for this post! I was recently sleeved on 10/26/15 and my emotions are all over the place. I cried today. The change is so drastic and so fast. I've talked to several people who are months and years out and they assure me that it's normal to feel that way. I second guessed my decision every since I got out of surgery. I'm 25..am I doing this too young? Will I have health complications? A year from now will I b able to have a donut without being condemned? Lol

Right now we are grieving a loss and that can be rough. I hope days will get better...no .I know days will get better. And we will look back at this and laugh. Good luck!

I am now 2 weeks post op and the food grieving does get better! I still think about it sometimes but not as often. It gives me great comfort to remember that this will all be over soon.

As for the age thing, I am 23 and I think that doing it at this age was the best decision I have ever made. We still have years of life ahead of us and why drag along with us all that excess weight. Honestly it would be exhausting. I want to have kids one day and be able to play with them without huffing and puffing. Furthermore, our bodies now are capable of handling the excess weight because we are at our prime. Who knows what could happen 10 years from now? I definitely don't want to know. Our bodies will not rejuvenate in the future as they do now. We should actually feel extremely lucky that we had this opportunity at a young age. I am sure there are many who would have jumped at the chance to do this in their 20s if it was available.

Stay strong! I just try my best to preoccupy myself with other things. I also watch a bizarre amount of dance videos on YouTube to keep my motivation up.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'm on day 4 and feeling kinda down today grieving food. The whole Water and Protein intake thing is a little overwhelming. I am paranoid of getting dehydrated. Mine has gone pretty smooth so far, but then I come on here and read about a lot of the problems people have down the road too, and get scared. I'm mainly concentrating on healing my body right now and trying to keep my mind quiet too.

This is very normal. I had my remorse about a week out and had a small emotional breakdown. I love food but now I get to enjoy it in healthy portions. Unless you want to be sick frequently, you won't really be able to go back to your old habits. Many people have vomiting and diarrhea from too much sugar. If you're not getting the Protein in, you can experience other physical changes (loss of hair, vision changes) as well as emotional changes.

Find your reason for having the surgery and hold on to that. I'm printing a picture of me that put me over the top in knowing the surgery was right for me. This will serve as a reminder of where I started.

I am 7 weeks post and in the beginning I was ok but by day 6 i was so depressed cryed everyday all day and stayed in my room. it lasted about 1 week to 1.5 it goes away. its your body changing. I to tell the truth bumped my self up i eat normal foods now but like 3 weeks ago I followed the books to a T. I eat a little over 1/4th of a cup. be strong you will get past it. I have cravings and I go out and eat i jusy make better choices. I have lost 20 lbs had my surgery on sept 14th

I'd like to say something to those reading this thread who have not been sleeved yet:

Everyone's experience is their own personal experience. It does not predict anyone else's experience. Some people obsess about food. Others don't. Some are sad. Others aren't. Some people experience remorse about their "lost stomach" for days or weeks. My WTF-have-I-done? moment lasted two hours. Some people (believe it or not) don't have this moment. Some people have an easy recovery, others suffer considerably.

All of these feelings / sensations / phases / are not obligatory for everyone. It's nice to know what others are going through, but do not assume that your post-op experience has to play out like another person's. The variations are pretty broad.