Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight gain in first couple days after surgery ?

I am in no way complaining here nor do I worry about something being wrong. I'd been warned about this happening.

I just find the phenomenon to be interesting.

I weighed this morning, my 3rd day after surgery. The scales read 6 pounds higher than on the morning of my surgery.

I've been getting 2-3 Protein Shakes plus 60-120 ounces of Water down each day.

I'm trying to get my water intake elevated today (40 ounces already at 7:00am) as well have more mobility than yesterday. I'm sure once my body adjusts and the abdominal swelling goes down so will my weight.

Do you remember how much, if any, that you picked up from the surgery?

How long before you body flushed the fluids out ?

I'm guessing that at some point during his coming weekend I'll have that breakthrough and see a big drop on the scale.< /p>

Edited by Dub

Good morning Dub. Congrats on surgery! Believe it or not I came home weighing 8 pounds more. I was so sad. It took about a week for me to level out from all the IV Fluid. I am a slow loser with a daily average somewhere around 1/2 pound a day. It's slow but I will take every half pound I can get.

Hang in there. The first week is pretty crazy.

Good morning Dub. Congrats on surgery! Believe it or not I came home weighing 8 pounds more. I was so sad. It took about a week for me to level out from all the IV Fluid. I am a slow loser with a daily average somewhere around 1/2 pound a day. It's slow but I will take every half pound I can get.

Thank you.

I'm guessing that I'm truly burning fat, being in ketosis for the last two+ weeks and at a calorie deficit.

I'm looking forward to the day the fluid works it's way out and the scale reads what is really occurring. :D

Same thing. Eight pounds more when I came home. It took about a week to lose it. I wish I knew ahead of time it could happen since it was disappointing. But it is all good now.

Edited by Lani789

I was lucky enough to not have access to a scale my first 4 days post-op. I think that may have saved my sanity! By the time I came home from Mexico on the 5th day post-op, I had lost a little weight. Don't remember exactly how much, but I know that by one week post-op, I was down 7 pounds. Things slowed down considerably after that though. Watch out for that week three stall!

Same thing. Eight pounds more when I came home. It took about a week to lose it. I wish I knew ahead of time it could happen since it was disappointing. But it is all good now.

I can see where this would have freaked you out.

If I'd not been warned ahead of time (on here) I would have been standing there scratching my head and reaching for my phone to call the surgeon and make some noise. :o

I was lucky enough to not have access to a scale my first 4 days post-op. I think that may have saved my sanity! By the time I came home from Mexico on the 5th day post-op, I had lost a little weight. Don't remember exactly how much, but I know that by one week post-op, I was down 7 pounds. Things slowed down considerably after that though. Watch out for that week three stall!

Much respect for you traveling so soon after surgery. That couldn't have been much fun.

I'm prepared for the 3-week stall. Ready indeed.

I came home from surgery (also in Mexico) 7 pounds heavier than my pre-op weight but a week later I was down almost 13 pounds. I was a little shocked and worried but have been healing nicely. Just 3 weeks today. Best wishes with your continued recovery.

I have been losing what I feel may be too quickly but have been getting everything my dr recommends. They are on a strict 10 clear liquid/10 full liquid/10 soft plan and I am 8 days post op today and 22 lbs down. Going to the bathroom regularly 3-4x a day since they day I got home. Sound normal??

That's why I made my husband hide my scale until I was one week post. I didn't want to be discouraged by a gain (even though I knew it would be fluids), and instead was thrilled to find I was down 9 pounds at one week post op!

~*~ Find me on YouTube: Trisha's Sleeve Story ~*~

I think I came home 11 lbs heavier, I dont remember for sure I just recall being shocked at the amount! My skin looked beautiful, lol. I was so hydrated and full of fluids it was like baby skin. It dropped off quickly that first week, and the second week showed a pretty big loss. It will even out.

I haven't had surgery yet, but a few years ago I was in the hospital. I came home 16 pounds heavier from iv fluids! Lol. Only took a couple of days to drop it however.

I went up two pounds when I came home from hospital, I promised myself I would not weigh myself and I will see where I am at my one week post op appointment on Tuesday